Blender and Modern Drummer Articles

Discussion in 'News' started by Mark, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

First off, Blender has posted a hilarious interview with the band where they discuss a variety of topics ranging from the nü-metal label, the recording process for Minutes To Midnight, their future aspirations, and (quite candidly, if I may say so) their personal lives, specifically Mike and Chester. Click here to check out the article.

Next, the latest issue of Modern Drummer Magazine has an article about Rob Bourdon's involvement with the new album, remarking that his drumming "at times recalls U2 and Pink Floyd". LPFUSE has posted a scan here.

Thanks to hybridsoldier!

Mon(e)y

Mon(e)y Active Member

LP operate as a democracy in which each member has veto power (says Bennington: “Rick’s beard had a vote, too, but we all boycotted it”):lol:

Arlene

Arlene Oh what tangled webs we weave LPA Super Member

"A few weeks ago, Mike Shinoda turned 30. He celebrated by taking his friends to the neighborhood LaserQuest, donning a blinking vest and shooting infrared beams at a bunch of 10–year–olds. “It was awesome,” he says. “They kicked our asses.” "

:lol: THAT WAS GREAT!

Daniel

Daniel Run for your life. LPA Super Member

:lol: I swear I almost fell off my chair reading that.

Great article :thumbsup:

Gitsnik

Gitsnik WAAAGH!!! Über Member

The Blender and Modern Drummer articles are both great (finally Rob alone in an interview lol).

Beca

Beca Plug in baby.

:lol: I love the last bit of the Blender interview.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I didn't know Dave was a dad! Congrats Dave and family!

lpcrawling

lpcrawling Active Member

all this "growing up" talk bothers me bc they aren't trying to prove this with their music but by simply saying they've grown up bc they don't do "nu metal" or something close to it anymore. If you listen to the lyrics of MTM, can you really say they've grown up? It's the same whiny stuff we've had before with a few political songs thrown in. How is it supposed to be grown up if it targets an emo audience. Look at all the projekt revolution bands. Can you call them grown up? All those bands have 13-16 year old girls going to the concerts.

Also, it's horrible how they pass off their old stuff as something immature and crappy bc it is what got all of us fans in the first place. They aren't taking any pride in their previous works. Also, Linkin Park will never be in the same group as U2 or Pink Floyd.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

That's nice and all, but because is spelled b-e-c-a-u-s-e, not bc.

I say this cause that entire rant would've sounded far more intelligent without the shortcuts.

blueeye

blueeye Well-Known Member

I recommend you to read the article again.

Just a few replies from me. :)
    Maybe its just me but there is a difference between
    "Hope decays, Generations disappear, Washed away, As a nation simply stares" and "Shut up when i`m talking to you".

And who said it targets the emo audience?

Chester: “There was definitely an immaturity to those albums,” Bennington says ... “Take ‘One Step Closer.’ The whole message of that song is, ‘I don’t like what you’re saying, so I’m going to throw a fit.’ I’ve felt that way a million times. But at a certain point, you have to grow up.

Of course. Nobody can be the same as something that already exists.

lpcrawling

lpcrawling Active Member

Yes they have some political songs on their album, but does that make them "grown up"? Their political songs are sooo broad. They lack the courage to actually take a strong stance on issues like, for example, System of a Down or RATM does because it will cut into their album sales and commercial success. Any band can become political, but it doesn't mean they've grown up. Linkin Park became political because (that's for you Derek) it's trendy these days and it would break them from their old image. If you take away their political songs, then they are the same LP, copying other established bands' styles.

Do you think the theme of "Given up" is that much different from "One Step Closer"? "Put me out of my misery." This being one of their next singles, it doesn't show any progression from their older whiny lyrics...maybe just more advanced whiny lyrics.

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

DJ Mike Shinoda?

spikeshinizle

spikeshinizle Well-Known Member

Great interview, I love hearing about the guys doing silly shit.

As for the whole 'growing up' thing. I really think they have, sure the whiny lyrics are still there, but they arent all as simple as they used to be.
    Also, I'm a big fan of the way they've handled their political views. You understand where they're coming from, what they're saying, but they arent shoving it down your throat like some other bands.

Caitlin

Caitlin Guest

Haha. Interesting Blender article. Can't make out the interview with Rob, though.

smrithi90

smrithi90 Active Member

LOVE THE LAST PART OF THE ARTICLE!!!

=)) mike can't stop kidding no matter what! haha! doesn't look that way from his hairstyle and beard now! :S

"A few weeks ago, Mike Shinoda turned 30. He celebrated by taking his friends to the neighborhood LaserQuest, donning a blinking vest and shooting infrared beams at a bunch of 10–year–olds. “It was awesome,” he says. “They kicked our asses.”

After the party, Shinoda listened to one of his buddies — a buddy who isn’t in the most popular rock band in America — talk about his own impending 30th, which had the guy feeling “kinda bummed out.”

“I was like, ‘Why are you bummed?’” Shinoda says. “‘You’ve got a job, a great girlfriend — things are really good.’ And he went, ‘Well, yeah — but I haven’t achieved what I wanted to by this point in my life.’”

At this, Shinoda adopts an expression of mock solemnity, frowning and furrowing his brow. “I was like, ‘I know, man.’” He shakes his head. “‘Me neither.’”

Bennington, sitting next to him, cracks up: “And then what did he say?”

At which point Shinoda — international rock star and newly minted grown–up — breaks into a mischievous grin: “Then he punched me.” "

this almost killed me!!! =)

Gitsnik

Gitsnik WAAAGH!!! Über Member

For the interview with Rob you have got to go to the modern drummer website.

blueeye

blueeye Well-Known Member

@ lpcrawling
    You are repeating yourself. If you don`t like it, go listen to SOAD or RATM cause only one who is whining here is you.

Moving on ...

I like that interview with Rob. Finally he has 2 pages for himself. :p

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Two words: American Idiot. And maybe it's just me, but TLTGYA is quite specific lyrically.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

It's not just you.

It's a blatant reference. Haha.

[LinkinPark213]

[LinkinPark213] Well-Known Member

Drum magazine posted a good article too. I'll see if I can get scans tonight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.