FBI allowed to wiretap internet users

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by IgneousPrime, May 15, 2007.

Matt

Matt Official Ghost of the LPA LPA Super Member

Great. Just great. It just has to be our generation that gets all this shit.

IgneousPrime

IgneousPrime Active Member

It's just in the US as far as I know. But yeah, its pretty crazy. Can't wait to hear how many stories we get out of this.

*refreshes CNN*

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

So fucking true. So what is he was 23 years off, George Orwell was so right about this crap.

And yea Makino, I had the exact same thought.
    Who knows what's gonna happen next? Thought police anyone? Fuck.
    :cloud:

Neotriple

Neotriple LPA VIP LPA VIP

So what are they accomplishing by doing this?

SUre, they can say 'he said this blah blah blah, which means he was provoking terrorism,' but it's our freedom of speech. We can say what the hell we want as long as it isn't slander. If the government [being as corrupt as they are,] decide to prosecute someone he/she can just exercise first amendment rights.

NOW, it's a different subject because they are raiding our privacy. But the thought behind this idea is pretty useless, unless they want to respond to everybody in the world saying they are going to threaten so and so [I'm not saying I am, but there are probably thousands or tens of thousands every day that do].

Christopher

Christopher Über Member Über Member

Am I the only one who thinks this will have more positive end results than negative?

Okay, it kind of invades our privacy, but it gives lots of benefits to the people who don't do anything wrong.
    You should have a little more trust in justice... they still have to obey the laws so it's not like they'll able to abuse the power they get.

It's just like the camera's in the streets of Monacco. There isn't a piece of garbage or dogpoo on those streets. It's the cleanest place I've ever been to.
    And it's because of the camera's and the fact that the police can actually do something about people who drop trash everywhere.

I think this will be just like that, they will be able to collect hard evidence against anyone who does something wrong and the people who don't do anything wrong won't even suffer from any problems.

Last edited: May 16, 2007
    Daniel

Daniel Run for your life. LPA Super Member

What. The. Fuck. I hope little Johnny Howard doesn't get any ideas from this. Not that he's likely to win the next election anyway. Good riddance.

Jammist

Jammist Well-Known Member

If this were a perfect world where nobody held stereotypes or where nobody was quick to judge others then this would not be as big a deal. Sadly that is not the case. This is something that can be abused and is one step closer to invading all aspects of our privacy. There is a difference between a surveillance camera in a public place and a wiretap on my home internet. That is the key word, HOME. They are coming into my home and invading my privacy. Also, a lot of us spend a crap load of time on the internet, as opposed to just chilling in front of a camera all day.

Regarding the abuse, I may not be a criminal but that does not mean I am unafraid of being suspected as one. For example, in high school I was walking through the halls with my guitar case because I was taking a guitar class. Other people had done similarly, however I was one of the few who did so that was "foreign". The security guard came straight up to me and told me to immediately open the bag, he searched the crap out of it (even though there was clearly a big freakin guitar in it), he glared at me and I felt terrified and uncomfortable. I asked my other friends who brought guitars if they ever had gone through a similar experience and it was a negative, even when they passed the same security guard.

Now I am not trying to get all dramatic about "random" searches and stuff, thats not the point. The point is that many people jump to conclusions and if they can do so based off someones internet activity they will, which will have negative consequences for those who are unfairly treated as "suspects." At least that is my opinion about it, I would feel safer knowing the government cant just snoop in so readily while I am online. :ermm:

And after they take our internet privacy, whats next?

Nick

Nick Great Job! LPA Super VIP

it said only if they had a warrant on you

thats just like getting a search warrant and coming in your house.....cept online people DO tend to ussualy have a illegal MP3 lying around

so im still not happy about this

Dr. Faust

Dr. Faust "Your Epitaph Will Be A Barcode"

Our vice-principal hacked into the MSN of a bunch of my friends last year, and some got suspended because they were talking shit on the school. That could be just as childish as this, but I'm still not fully at the top of my Pissed-Off-O-Meter because this isn't in Canada yet.

Stupid fucks.

Joeykat

Joeykat Forever watching...

Surveillance cameras built into every room of new houses, they might make it Government regulations to catch terrorists :mellow:

...Lauren?

...Lauren? Sadist Sagittarius

Wow. How long were they suspended? You'd think the parents would've raised hell about that.

pushedaway

pushedaway Well-Known Member

yea, i agree with St0f too.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

No offence to St0f but it's a real naive approach to disregard this news because you have nothing to hide. I think it's safe to say that none of us here have anything of significance to hide, that's besides the point though. If the government announced tomorrow that everyone must be microchipped and carry ID cards with them at all time just because they say it's for the safety of the people are you seriously just gonna allow that to happen? Fair enough that's an extreme hypothetical situation however the reality is that this is one step closer to that situation.

Whether we like it or not we can't just follow our governments like sheep, this is exactly the kind of crap that can only lead to worsening the situation.

Dr. Faust

Dr. Faust "Your Epitaph Will Be A Barcode"

One week, out of school.

Gage

Gage Well-Known Member

Nobody has any freedom anymore. It's technically against the law to do this. I mean it was pretty sad when the government began tapping phones and such and now this...

Very discomforting!

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

Fuck no, it doesn't. This is an USA issue, and their rights and such. We have our Constitution, Charter of Rights and such.
    It *kind of* invades your privacy? What the hell are you smoking?

What if you were innocent of something, but they blamed you of something? You no longer have your rights protecting your ass (so it seems), so what are you going to do? They can say what they want about you.

[edit]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habeas_corpus#Suspension_in_the_United_States_in_1990s_and_2000s
    How many of you knew that Habeas Corpus [basically being able to defend yourself in something you were innocent] was suspended in the US? Hell, you wanna know something fucked up about Athe US? 8 Senators voted against the Habeas Corpus Restoration Act of 2007. That really tells you something about the US government, doesn't it?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
    Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Tomi's dead on as far as I'm concerned.

This in itself is taking away the right to privacy. I'm all for CCTV (as long as it isn't in exessive amounts) but when you start tapping into people's homes, that's when it's being taken too far.

I feel very strongly about this and if you think this is a good thing then you obviously don't care for your own human rights.