Football (Soccer)

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by FreeYourMind, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Yeah but in the Premiership being English and under 26/27 generally seems to make good players even more valuable. Look at us with Young and Reo-Coker, and then there's the prices being quoted for players like Curtis Davies and David Nugent. Even in the Championship Birmingham signed McSheffrey for £4m when the only times he'd played in the Premiership were brief appearances the last time Coventry were there.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
  2. Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

I think it's probably because there's so few great English talents compared to other countries. If you look at countries like Spain and Italy there are so many great players who could be called up to their respected countries which gives their managers a number of options. Here in England we've got a rather bad situation because their are so few class English players thus making Steve McClaren's job rather difficult. We've yet to build a solid England team because of this.

3. Dean

That's not strictly true. There are plenty of good English players but big clubs would generally rather buy foreign players than buy/develop English ones. So the good players either stay just good or rot.

4. Evan™

Evan™ HI! I'm Randy, I'm a Bandicoot Über Member

same could've been said of Morientes before Ronaldo's arrival

5. Luke

Eduardo Da Silva is a great buy for us however £16.25m is about 8million over what we should have paid for him. Whoever has take over the negotiating after Dein isn't exactly impressing...

EDIT: Sources at sky are saying that the fee is more closer to 8million which is fine with me.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  6. Dean

Reo-Coker's passed his medical then.

7. Evan™

and the blues can only hope he screws up :lol:

8. Dean

9. Evan™

ah well i would have preffered West Ham to stay up anyway...i honestly dont want to watch the Blades on my screen again its simply painful

10. Dean

Even if the FA got it wrong all the complaining seems to be sour grapes on the part of Blades fans. They didn't want a deduction when they stood a chance at Christmas. They didn't want a deduction when they beat West Ham with Tevez playing.

11. JJ

JJ [i cant spoll preply]: LPA Super VIP

:lol:

12. Luke

Okay so apparently United are in for Tevez now. If they get him it'll surely take their spending this season to over 70million which is disgraceful to be honest. I hated it when Chelsea did it but no one will say a damn thing about it because it's Man Utd, the club of the nation.

13. JJ

JJ [i cant spoll preply]: LPA Super VIP

70 million is crazy - the price of players is rediculous (<-- sp) anyways.

this can only be supporting that though.. its beyond me

14. Dart

Dart Well-Known Member

i never would have dreamed that dudu would end up in arsenal...sure,i hate dinamo from my soul, so i'm glad they've got rid of him,being so good...trust me...he's a great player

15. Evan™

i dont wanna see Tevez at Man U...its almost as though they're cheating! and i really wanna see Ashton play alongside Tevez...

16. Cale.

Cale. Banned

The initial figure isn't 70 million.

Only the Hargreaves transfer is set in stone 17 mill. The Anderson and Nani transfers were around 7 or 8 million and rising depending on a number of variables.

And who the fuck knows whats going on with Tevez, apparently its a two season loan. I've been away for a week and missed the whole thing.

17. Luke

Erm no, Hargreaves costed 17mil, Nani costed 17.3mil and Anderson's was the only one who had a fee based on number of appearances but he still cost 15mil.

Tevez is said to be going on a two year loan but you'll still be agreeing a high set fee if you choose to buy him. The only reason you're not paying the 20+mil now is because of the 3rd party ownership etc.

18. Evan™

i think Man U's current spending is going out of control and personally i believe they are over spending and Malcolm Glazer should really be careful if not....

19. Luke

If Liverpool sign Ryan Babel instead of us, I will be seriously pissed.

20. Cale.

Cale. Banned

What's your opinion on Gallas' recent comments Hellflame? I don't think he'll be a gunner for life if spending doesn't pick up at Highbury.

Is this Croatian guy any good?

In other news, Sir Alex has confirmed we're finalising the Tevez deal in the coming days. Barcelona and us especially will have scary attacking line-ups next season if they fire on all cylinders.