Buyer Beware

Discussion in 'News' started by Mark, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    boojitsu

boojitsu Well-Known Member

Third Eye Blind,

3 Cds:
    - Self Titled
    - Blue
    - Out of The Vein

best hits:
    Greatest hits cd or something

3 cds, 1 greatest hits... the band is still together...

just so u know there's at least 1 band who released a greatest hits while still being together with only 3 cds out.

-Boojitsu21
    http://www.boojitsu21.com

p.s. - though arguably they might not have a "future"... so yeah your point still might hold :)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
    Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

I'm pretty sure Atreyu has 3 full-length studio albums. Plus they have a greatest hits.

Ander

Ander LPA VIP LPA Super VIP

It's more common than you think. Korn did it (last releases on Immortal/Epic were both greatest hits compilations) and 50 Cent is planning on doing it after this year's "Curtis" and the follow up to that. There are more examples at Wikipedia if you just look up "greatest hits."

I think that part of the news post is conjecture and doesn't help disprove the authenticity of this release because its not factual. It suggests that releasing a greatest hits album after only a few releases is unreasonable or has never happened.
    I mean, Hilary Duff did it. :lol:

edit: "a band of Linkin Park's stature" = Korn, basically. They're smart. Rather than battling with your label for a $25 million dollar advance you're just gonna have to pay back in a couple of years, therefore taking money out of your royalties if mechanical record sales don't bring in the bacon (which in 2007 is highly unprobable unless you're, well...Linkin Park) you fulfill your contract, have a good track record and take your art somewhere else and make some money (like Korn did).

It's like credit. You can buy a nice car with a low down payment if you have a long history of making your mortgage payment on time.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
    Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Atreyu wanted to leave their contract and put this out to get out of it. This confirms Ander's point. I hadn't heard of something like that happening before.

Still, the circumstances surrounding Linkin Park do not apply. They're at the beginning of a new recording contract, towards the middle of their careers, and still on top of the music world. I can't believe anyone took the chance of them putting out a greatest hits CD at this point of their careers seriously.

I agree Ander, I just was unaware of that. Greatest Hits are usually reserved for a band who, as I said, are at the end of a contract or the end/downswing of their career. I kind of juxtaposed that common occurrence to Linkin Park's situation, of which none of the above circumstances apply.

Nonetheless, I've edited it to be more clear.

Ander

Word.

It's not really reserved for that specific case as much as it is an easy out for bands that are looking for a better contract (or don't want a contract at all anymore). Bands that haven't released a greatest hits album are probably in a good position creatively where they don't feel like they're done making music for sale or need

Live In Texas kind of served that purpose for LP, I think and it did well. They'd probably waste resources on a greatest hits record any. New artwork and detailed liner notes (booklet pages cost to manufacture, why some bands don't put lyrics in there, or the like Beastie Boys will print lyrics to the whole album but wont use line breaks in what I assume is an effort to save pages), shit kids don't really care about if they're tech-savvy and contented to burn all their favorite songs to CD or make an iPod playlist.

kev_

kev_ Well-Known Member

As long as we're talking about them did anybody else like Atretu's cover of "You Give Love a Bad Name?" I thought it was good.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

The Atreyu comment was at least related to the topic. Please stay on topic.

Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Well-Known Member

hahaha

kev_

kev_ Well-Known Member

Ok, At some point LP will probably put out a greatest hits album but not for another 10 years. I figure they'll put out two or three more albums before they're done, then a greatest hits album but why would they do it now? And when it does come out I bet it will do well, I think the Eagles greatest hits did pretty good. On topic? I gotta be honest, I dislike some of these rules. I understand why they're there but sometimes going off topic can lead to a good conversation elsewhere. Just my two cents but I mean we're all here for fun right? I just think there are a few too many restrictions.

lostcontact

lostcontact Active Member

Wouldn't have believed it to be real because we didn't hear it on these boards weeks in advance. Lol.

Ander

"elsewhere" being the "Other Music" forum. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.