Is audio extraction possible?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by elevenfold, Jul 27, 2007.

elevenfold

elevenfold Member

Haha, this could be a very stupid question, but is it at all possible to extract audio from a video in an mp3 file?

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

Yes.

elevenfold

elevenfold Member

Oh, haha, maybe I shouldve asked how.

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

That might have been a good idea.

Seinfeld

Seinfeld We are the nobodies LPA Super Member

how might one extract a mp3 file from a video file? :lol:

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

To be honest, I have no clue, but I know it's possible. I'm sure someone else can answer that, but rest assured it's possible. Try the search function, as I think it's possibly been answered before too. ^_^

Rahat

Rahat Nyeh LPA VIP

I'm not too sure either but you can probably find programs that can do this if you look it up on google.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Here's how I do it, I just use an old program called Cool Edit Pro 2.0 (you can probably find a cracked version quite easily since the program is defunct). Just open up the program, click the little grey/green box in the upper left hand corner to go into the multitrack editor, then go to Insert > Audio from Video file, and find the video you want to get the audio from. Once it's done extracting, click the box in the corner again to go to the single track editor, and you'll be on the sound wave for the audio portion of the video. Then you just go File > Save As and select .mp3, click Options to pick what bitrate you want to save it as, and then Save.

Seinfeld

Seinfeld We are the nobodies LPA Super Member

does that also work with extracting vocal tracks from mp3s?

Rahat

Rahat Nyeh LPA VIP

I'm almost 100% sure it doesn't but i'll wait to see what tasta says...you can use a program like audicity to extract vocals but its hard and requires some luck.

WizzyKid

WizzyKid Well-Known Member

There are a few ways to do it. Alot of which require programs you have to pay for. One way is to use a video editor. Any should work. Simply open the video editor, import the file into it and click make a video (or whatever it is called) and choose an extension that is audio only. Usually you can either select .wav or .wma, or to make an .mp3 you have to mess around with options. You should refer to the tutorials provided in the editor for more information. Oh and Windows Movie Maker is a free video editor that comes with any Windows computer, but I am unfamiliar with it.

There are many converters in which you can use to convert one file extension to another, such as what Tasta suggested. Whether this is flash to .mpeg or .avi to .mp3 there are tons. However many of them you have to pay for, but there is this very very handy free program which is highly customizable called SUPER which pretty much makes you convert most file extensions to another which you can get here: http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html -- Download link is provided near the bottom highlights by "Start download SUPER" (Read bottom of the page for help if you struggle trying to download). You shouldn't worry about all the technical options and stuff on SUPER if you are simply converting to .mp3 or another audio only extension. It is also unnecessary to up the Bitrate above 192kbs most of the time since many videos don't have a Bitrate higher than that for the Audio since they are compressed.

These are the two most convenient methods to use using little or no money.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
    JNudda

JNudda Guest

Use a program like super video converter or dbpoweramp and just convert the video file itself to an mp3. Thats the easiest way Ive found.

Nick

Nick Great Job! LPA Super VIP

what i do, and this is EXTREMELY easy, is use Audactiy(free btw) and set the input to my speakers and my stereo mix then start the video or audio you want and record it from start to finish then export as a mp3 or wav

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

It can sort of be done, but not very well. It's impossible to make a "perfect" acapella (or instrumental for that matter) with a program like that because of the nature of audio. Since a song is usually mixed in stereo (2 channels), when you try to remove vocals it just cuts out everything that is equally balanced on both channels (sometimes called the "center" channel), since most lead vocals are dead center in the mix. The problem with that is that most bass tracks and a lot of drum parts are also in the center, so it more or less kills those as well, plus backing vocals/harmonies usually don't get cut out. The same goes for making an acapella, that tries to remove everything that's doubled on both sides, so it takes out a lot of guitar and keyboard stuff, but it usually leaves drums and a good portion of the bass track with the vocals.

Simply put, the only way to make a perfect instrumental or acapella is if you happen to have the master tracks for the song lying around.

the_stars_of_destiny

the_stars_of_destiny Active Member

I second that, You can never fully get rid of the vocals 100% in the music... But you can come very 'close' if you know what your doing. ;)

mcpancakes

mcpancakes Well-Known Member

I agree with Roxas, I use Audacity and set the recording source to "Stereo Mix". With the video playing, start recording it and Audacity will be recording your sound card output. Also, my soundcard program has a little toggle karaoke setting, where it tries to remove vocals from the playing audio, but it only does it with okay results (you can still hear faintly the vocals playing). When I record, however, it doesn't record in stereo, which doesn't make sense to me, seeing as its called "stereo mix". doesn't really bug me though. You can export the recording in .wav or .ogg, and if you want mp3, just download this .dll file and put it in the C:\Program Files\Audacity folder and locate it in Audacity and then you can extract anything as mp3s.