Power Outages in the Northeast

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Will, Aug 15, 2003.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Last night at around 4:30pm the power went out at my home. My dad and I both figured that someone had hit a telephone pole and that the electricity would be restored in a few minutes.

When it wasn't, and there was nothing to do, we just laid down and went to sleep. We woke up at around 7:00pm when our neighbor asked us if we had any food they could borrow.

That's when we found out that the power outages stretched from Vermont to as far west as Toledo, Ohio. The power outages in Canada stretched from Montreal to as far west as Winnepeg. The outages also went as far south as Akron, Ohio.

No one is sure what caused the power to go out. Original speculation was the lightning struck the powerplant on the US-side of Niagra Falls but that was quickly dismissed. Officials are now saying that it happened east of Ottowa, Canada.

---

Yay, I sounded smart for once.

Anyway, post about what you did and things like that last night while the power was out if you were indeed affected by the outage.

I slept. :lol:

Edit:

Should probably mention that I live 35-40 miles east of Cleveland in Geneva, Ohio. 'Twas fun. I got to watch some meteors and crap and I got to see the Milky Way Galaxy (when you look up and you see giant bands of stars) for the first time in my life. It was so awesome. :lol:

Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

B) yeah i heard it on the radio :lol:

the American people are blaming the Canadian (??) for the outages and opposite :lol:

thank god i live in Holland B)

Will

Yeah, Canadian officials are blaming the United States and American officials are blaming Canada. :lol:

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

I worked last night, but I had power :p

My sister who's in New York didn't have power though, dont know if its back on for her yet

Dedicated

Dedicated LPA Addict LPA Addict

I was completely and utterly amazed this morning when I heard it on the news because I have just recently finished reading a book called 'The Paris Option' by Robert Ludlum and it features terrorists owning a DNA computer. The first thing they did to test it was cut all of the power in the North-East of America. They then go on to kill people in plane crashes and stuff. I was so confused and amazed. A strange coincidence? I think not...

Chrissy

Chrissy Super Member

OK, this is gonna be a long post (one of my longest) just because a lot of things happened last night. Just so you know I live on Long Island, New York in the little suburb called Garden City.

The power went out at around 4:10 at the library where I was working. The lights had flickered (and my eyes were spazzing out at the same time...eep). Everything seemed to be fine after that, because the computers came back on, but everything went back out in a few minutes. The library was getting its carpeting redone, so we thought it was the carpet guys that cut the main power.

I was relieved that my morning job of bringing books up in preparation of getting carpets was finished, otherwise I could have been stuck in the elevator o.o

Then, I took my break at 4:15 and found out that there was no power in the East Coast. I went back to work for a while until my bosses said I could relax until I could be let go at 5:30 >.< Someone from Technical Services brought in an AM/FM radio with portable speakers that we were listening to. Everyone was making jokes about who was going to be the first to start the looting, and how since only one person had a car, everyone would pile into his car like clowns so he could drive us all home ^^.

Then my mom showed up at 5:20, and the big cheese let everyone go. I was relieved, because otherwise I would be walking home in 90 degree weather. I was cranky, because since the radio broadcasters said it would take several hours to get power back on, I would be missing Pirates of the Caribbean, which I was going to see with my friend at 7:15.

We found our shower radio/CD player that runs on batteries, and used that for updates, and mom got out a corded phone so we could keep in touch with everyone. Cell phones didn't work, dammit, 'cuz my friend from Maine was going to call me. My stepdad's mother came over and mom used the grill to make hot dogs.

I found out my sister, who lives in Middlebury, Vermont, had power. Lucky her, she got to watch the news and be comfortable while we sat in uncomfortable heat. My dad called and said he had to walk home, and then walk up ten flights of stairs. Luckily he has a gas stove that he can start with a match like my friend did.

Anyway, after dinner, grandma left and mom and I relaxed. I ate as much ice cream as humanly possible before it all melted :p and then mom and I went to sleep. Our power wasn't restored until 5:45 am, which I found out when a neighbor's alarm went off. I was not exactly all together, and forgot I unplugged a lot of things, so I didn't realize the power was back on until my mom turned on my lights.

And that, my friends, is my exciting day when I had absolutely nothing to do but be very afraid.

John.

John. i am corruption LPA Super Member

I lost my power for less than a second and it turned right back on, cept my internet stopped working for a few hours :(

XeroToHero

XeroToHero Well-Known Member

I'm soooo glad I live in Texas for once. I kinda chuckled at it when I first got home, but then I saw the hundreds of thousands of people waiting at a ferry stop in NYC. I still thought it was kinda funny, but the heat had to suck due to all the people crammed into that one spot. Looked kinda like a scene from the 'Points Of Authority' Video, one of my friends said

Sludge Factory

Sludge Factory Well-Known Member

I live in the North East (a couple minutes away from YALE) and my power only went out for about 3 seconds then turned back on. It was wierd. Im just glad I wasnt in New York City.

Hybrid Soldier

Hybrid Soldier Y2K

as far as Winnipeg.....................eep that was close. i had trouble sleeping through the whole night.

Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

so that's why Mark isn't on LPa :lol:

on the radio they said that it should be completely restored about 3days

LProckon

LProckon Well-Known Member

When I saw it on the news on TV, I kinda laughed when I saw a view of thousands of people just walking all over the street. And then I became concerned because they're walking past cars and I thought it would be kind of dangerous that way. And then I felt bad for all those people who have to walk across that bridge to get home. And then when I heard one of the news people say that people are calm during this, I was surprised.

LornVourkolakas

LornVourkolakas About To Blow Chunks

What I did during the power outtage? I used the pc. I live in Florida ! Mwuahahha. Anyways, even if the power outtage happened here. I would have still used the pc. I have batteries for it ! :-D

Dark-Nova4001

Dark-Nova4001 Well-Known Member

I live in NH, and during the power outage, i was on the computer cause the outage didnt hit nH :D i was so happy that were on a differant power grid :p

Chrissy

Chrissy Super Member

I felt bad for everyone who had to drive back home. With the lack of trains, subways, and working traffic lights, it was nuts. But for some reason New Yorkers were actually feeling more helpful and considerate. Some even stopped to direct traffic :eek:

Will

Mark lives nowhere near where the power was out.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I wasn't on LPA because I had my grandfathers birthday party and my internet cut out for an hour last night (or this morning) at around 2:30am.

Anyways, neither Montreal or Winnipeg were hit. I've been watching Canadian news all today and it's between Ottawa and Toronto, there's been no power outages in Quebec or Manitoba. Actually, my Aunt from a town 10km away from Montreal called in to say Happy Birthday to my Grandfather, and he asked if they had lost any power and she denied it. Just a minor mistake, Will. :lol:

Anyways, if your power went out, you can say you were a part of history, haha.

Edit: apparently they had camera crews in winnipeg and montreal showing there were power outages. i saw a map of all the major cities that were hit and neither winnipeg and montreal were up there, so i assumed they weren't hit.

Chrissy

Chrissy Super Member

WOOHOO i'm a part of history! XD

my favorite part of the power outtage was the "guess the year of the last power outtage that hit the whole east coast" game.

Terry

Terry Yeah, but I wish you were my shadow. LPA Super Member

I remember watching this on the news last night. My little brother pointed out to me "Look at all of the people in the street!" And I was just like, "Yeah, sure, whatever." But after that I actually listened to the report and heard about the whole thing stretching to Canada, so I was actually kinda glad I lived in California for once.

Aaron

Aaron Foundation LPA Super Member

I wasn't effected by the outage. But I can tell you what I did do...

I laughed at all the people without power. And I laughed at my friends mom. She was just arriving in Toronto on the plane. Her uncle was going to pick up her mom but couldn't because there was no power and traffic jams. The phone's were down so they couldn't contact.

I just sat there and laughed the night away.

I feel special.