Nobody's Listening

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by WTH>You, Aug 16, 2003.

WTH>You

WTH>You Banned

I've been listening to Meteora for some time now and I don't know if it's just me but Nobody's Listening doesn't even match the rest of the album. When I burned it from a friend I told him not to include the song. It sounds alot better.

Jawknee

Jawknee Guest

You know at first, I thought the same thing - like WTF is this?! Meteora is a very deep album and suddenly here comes this hip-hop track out of nowhere.

Once you start listening to it more though, it becomes a nice bonus of the album - sorta like a breakaway from all the melodic and hard-rocking stuff.

To me now, the contrast between that song and the song prior go just great. The only thing that still sorta bugs me is the transition from Nobody's Listening to Session - it's so sudden.

WTH>You

WTH>You Banned

I guess you could say that but I always thought Breaking The Habit was the "bonus"

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

Yeah I thought the same way at first. When I started to listen to it more, I liked it more. It has cool samples (the Japanese Flute) and cool lyrics that relate to the rest of the album. I think it does match the rest of the album. Listen to it closely and I'll bet you'll eventually like it!
    :p

John.

John. i am corruption LPA Super Member

I always thought as "Somewhere I Belong" as a different song from all the others on the album, just the way the vocals were sung and the rhythm of the song makes it so different.

Shade

Shade Well-Known Member

I dunno, I'm not so crazy about Nobody's Listening. The raps don't seem to flow well with the music to me. The chorus is pretty good, but the verses don't seem to fit to me. I like the raps, but I just don't think the music fits.

Tim2

Tim2 Ambient

Nobody's Listening is my least favorite song on Meteora, not really because of the sound of the Japanese flute that sets it apart but because of the lyrics Mike uses when he raps. I was very disappointed when I heard Nobody's Listening, lyrical wise.

figure9

figure9 Well-Known Member

At first I didnt like it at all. which i felt was weird... cause i dont mind rap music and i dont mind linkin parks other raplike songs... high voltage, step up, dedicated..... but i just didnt like this.... but then as ive listened to it more and more i find that i sing along to it and its really good and catchy...

Jawknee

Jawknee Guest

Ditto.

[Darken Hybrid]

[Darken Hybrid] Ambient

Nobody's Listening has been one of my favorite since I first heard it. Its so different from the album.

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

Well, I think, as Jawknee said, its a nice break from the rest of the album!

Personally, I don't like straight rap songs....but I do like Mike's rap stuff, as I appreciate Mike's style and lyrics, which are usually amazing. But in Nobody's Listening and in most of Meteora I saw mediocre lyrics from him, especially when you compare him to his stuff on a track like 'Forgotten', 'Carousel', 'Fuse', 'And One' and some of his earlier stuff which were terrific and flowed so well. Frankly I was disappointed. I did like the beat, even though it was annoying at first.

Jawknee

Jawknee Guest

So true! ^_^

Bryan

Bryan Guest

Am I the only one who likes Nobody's Listening? I admit, it is a lot different than the rest of the album, but I still do enjoy listening to it and think it's an awesome song. It defidently shows a side of Linkin Park not many people see. If you think about it, all the pure hip-hop songs were either on the EP, or are unreleased.(not counting Reanimation)

Jawknee

Jawknee Guest

We're not saying we don't like it, Bryan.

What I was saying was that the contrast with that song and the rest of the ablum was a bit weird at first, and then it grew on me. I love that song a lot, but the lyrics are very sub-par...Mike has proven to us before that he can do better.

"I hate my rhymes but hate everyone elses's more" ? Come on.

I mean, I rock out and sing line by line in my car, full blast, but truthfully, the lyrics ain't hot stuff.

Bryan

Bryan Guest

Oh I know. Meteora's lyrics were very dissapointing in my mind. The lyrics Chester and Mike wrote on Hybrid Theory were amazing. They were the best lyrics I have ever seen. But on Meteora, they are just average. They can do a lot better and hopefully they do on their next album.

Oh and the one thing that really bothered me about Meteora's lyrics was the use of the word pain. The idea of writing lyrics is to express that pain, which is what they did on Hybrid Theory, but failed to do as good of a job on Meteora.

Cal

Cal LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

well, i thought the lyrics on meteora were good, especially 'Numb'

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

Exactly my point, I did like the beat, I was just pointing out the weak lyrics, hopefully they'll work on that for the next album.

[chali]

[chali] Banned

i agree, it has to be the one the best rap songs written by mike, amazing song!

Chrissy

Chrissy Super Member

I actually liked Nobody's Listening and I don't really listen to rap o_O

whenthisbegan

whenthisbegan Well-Known Member

*tear* I like Nobody's Listening. I thought it was cool and I thought the beat was really neat, too. I guess it's because I'm a sucker for heavy bass. But everybody's entitled to their own opinion. I personally like his rap and I don't see how it doesn't fit the beat. It fits the beat fine to me. Although I do think Mike has better writing skills.