Local Music

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Branden, Oct 3, 2007.

Branden

Branden hey! LPA Super Member

Just wondering what all of your guys' local music scenes are like.

I live in Dayton, Ohio, and we have a pretty good thing going on at the moment.
    Obviously our biggest exports were Hawthorne Heights and now The Devil Wears Prada.

But we have bands like Miss May I (fans of metal/hardcore/breakdowns), Fall of Babylon (amazing thrash), and even instrumental bands - Like A Million Lights.

I co-run one of the biggest booking agencies in the area now, and I like to think that we have a good amount of shows and things in the area.

Please check out some of these bands, and let everyone know about some of yours.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

http://www.myspace.com/salvatoreleone

Cool guys, decent but generic hardcore. That's a good representation of what most local bands do, unless you want me to state the obvious and mention Black Sabbath and Duran Duran.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
    Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Northeast Ohio has a decent scene, in my opinion. There are quite a few bands who have the potential to become more than just local acts, but it's as if they're not putting forth the effort to do so.

The only major bands that I can think of right now are Mushroomhead and Chimaira, both of which came from Cleveland. On a slightly less-major scale, there's Konipshun Phit, who have played shows with both Mushroomhead and Chimaira. Those are the three "big" names, though.

Falls Beneath had a chance to become huge, but they ended up breaking up due to a lack of commitment and turbulence within the band. The Trend is a really cool pop punk band which has the potential to come out of nowhere just like Hit the Lights did, but Hit the Lights aren't from Northeast Ohio.

There are a lot of other bands, too: Viadora, Obliterate, Stiletto.

When I've got time I'll pull up a list of the more "influential" and more "well-known" bands from the area. Most of them are actually quite good and I've seen most of them a good number of times.

Branden

premonitions of war came from your area too i think. they're huge in my eyes.

2xPutt

2xPutt Well-Known Member

Hey Branden, good to see more NW-Ohio people. some other "local" bands I can think of are "Hit The Lights" which are from Lima, Ohio (a little north of me) and then a Metal/Screamo band who are actually pretty good and I can see going far are "Every Bridge Burned" I went to school with over half the band and they were originally from Wapakoneta and saw them go through several name changes, but now they are using "Lima" as their "hometown"

Links:

http://www.myspace.com/hitthelights
    http://www.myspace.com/everybridgeburned

Friskey™

Friskey™ LPA Super Member LPA Addict

Course in the town I live in currently has NO music scene...closest band we had around this town was a little known band by the name of Poison. True story, Bret Michaels's dad worked as a video clerk in our local grocery store and worked with my older brother. Swear on my life. But hell, we live in a 1000 populated town, so i'll go for my birthtown, Baltimore, MD.

Of course, around that area we got Good Charlotte, who's probably the biggest. We also had Jimmie's Chicken Shack going, as well as Nothingface and SR-71 if you all remember them.

I could also go a few 100 miles here and locate Breaking Benjamin, and CKY, but Nate will do that for me. :lol:

Trumtram

Trumtram Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
    Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I'd recommend some bands from my area but they seem to all be splitting up. :lol:

But I guess I could still recommend them.

http://www.myspace.com/enterthecollector

Cool guys, they're amazing songwriters. Sucks they broke up though, I knew all of them.

Dedicated

Dedicated LPA Addict LPA Addict

There's a really big music scene in Liverpool. Here's a few bands:

The Alphites - One of my sister's ex-friends is the keyboard player.
    Elle S'Appelle - My neighbours cousin's band.
    The Institution - Good friend of mine screams for this metal band.
    Error Room - Got to know these guys through gigging with them.
    Hot Club De Paris - Some random indie band that are getting big right now.
    The Dead Class - One of my best mate's band.
    28 Costumes - Some guy I used to know is related to one of them, can't remember which one though :lol:
    The Wombats - Went to the uni I wanna go to and are getting big over here at the moment.
    goFASTER >> - Friends with The Wombats and Hot Club De Paris and have also started touring a lot recently.

Oh yeah, and a little known band called The Beatles were born here as well.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Local scene is kind of crap where I'm from. You've got your standard run-of-the-mill hardcore and emo bands, and some pop-ish rock bands.

Sadly,the biggest band from this area in recent memory is called One. They're, just a generic Nu-Metal band, though. I guess the biggest bands to come from the West Palm Beach/ Fort Lauderdale area would be Nonpoint and Poison the Well. Other than that, it's just a long history of death-metal bands. :lol:

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

The Beatles? Never heard of them. :lol:

Around here we have a few decent bands, alot of them are absolute bollocks though. Here are a few good ones:

Subversion - Friends with the guitarist Alex. They're all fucking madmen. :lol:

The London Agreement - Went to school with 3 of the 4 members. Don't see them too much but still friends with them.

Cajun Dance Party - Used to know the keyboardist, when I saw her a few weeks ago she had no idea who I was though haha.

Gallows - Went to school with the lads from Subversion.

Enter Shikari - Also went to school with the lads from Subversion. I don't need to tell you of their success. :lol:

Branden

I never saw Hit The Lights when they played around here, but Every Bridge Burned is great. I've seen them several times, I actually just booked them a week ago here in Dayton. Their full-length comes out in November, and from what I've heard its going to be great. I really like their new vocalist (from sea turns red, if you know of/remember them).

Rather Red

Rather Red Well-Known Member

In Honolulu, the only scene is the reggae scene.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Premonitions of War is actually from Toledo. That's not quite Northeast Ohio, but it's close enough. Their vocalist joined Through the Eyes of the Dead, a band from South Carolina.

After I made my first post I called my buddy J. J. who was the guitarist in Falls Beneath and then joined The Trend after Falls Beneath broke up. It seems The Trend broke up about a month ago. So I'm thinking he breaks bands up. :lol: It's a shame. They were both excellent.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

The Brothers Bentley

The Curbside Saints

The Orange Tactics

Civil Uprising

Fourcast

Shnucka

Pillar Of The Community

Sid Mack

Christopher Sisk

The Brothers Bentley & The Curbside Saints were started in Tullahoma, but moved onto greener pastures in bigger cities like Murfreesboro or Nashville.

Civil Uprising & The Orange Tactics broke up around 2003/2004, but still have a large following.

Fourcast is a jazz band that plays the local coffee shop when the members come home from college (when they can).

Shnucka is one of my friends from high school who makes decent-to-good techno with Fruit Loops, ACID Pro, etc.

And I'll admit to never hearing of Sid Mack, Christopher Sisk and Pillar Of The Community, but damnit, they're good, and local apparently.