Some people... *scoffs*

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Will, Aug 20, 2003.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

No, I really do. I laugh at the idiocy of some people. I was reading several reviews on albums over at Amazon.com and I was just stunned at the idiocy that some people have. It's amazing the things they say.

If you stop to think about it... How can bands like Linkin Park, P.O.D., Staind and Disturbed be marking the downfall of music when they are more popular now than ever before? It makes no sense to me how someone can review a CD without ever listening to it, call it worthless crap and then have the nerve to go and call a band "the beginning of the end" when they're the biggest band or one of the biggest bands in the world.

I just can't understand how these people can think this way. Is it jealousy or just their tastes? Who knows. All I know is that it's pretty stupid of someone to say that a band is marking the downfall of music when they're selling more records than that person can EVER hope to sell in their life.

Then there are the people who make the lists of "crappy bands" and make the weirdest comparisons I've ever seen. One person compared I believe it was Creed to the Bee Gees. I seriously doubt that person knows what he's talking about. Other comparisons are just as lame, such as Puddle Of Mudd to Nirvana and Linkin Park to Rage Against The Machine.

Other reviewers don't appreciate the fact that not all rock and metal has to make your ears bleed to be good music. I respect people who listen to death metal and stuff, but once they start bashing bands like Cold and 12 Stones because they're not exactly going to give you a nosebleed when you listen to them, I lose respect for them.

Rock is a broad genre, ranging from lite-rock or pop-rock (Sugar Ray), rap-rock (Linkin Park, limpbizkit), hard rock (Staind, Taproot), metal (TRUSTcompany, Disturbed), heavy metal (Mudvayne), alt. rock (Nickelback, Seether), grunge rock (Creed, Puddle Of Mudd, Nirvana)... The list goes on. But it really gets me when people say that "that band isn't rock because they're not heavy."

And what's worse is when you have bands like Linkin Park releasing songs like "In The End" or "Somewhere I Belong" and you get the metal-heads going "Oh, that song is pop because it's really popular!" Alright, pop music is Britney or Justin, not Linkin Park. When's the last time you heard driving guitars in a pop song? That's right, never. When P.O.D. released "Alive" it became one of the biggest singles in 2001 and because of that it was considered pop when it's clearly not.

Then you have your bands like Evanescence. I find it funny how people classify them as pop just because of the vocals. It's almost as if the people just listen to the vocals and completely ignore the heavy riffs laden behind them. It's pretty asinine for a person to call a band pop just because of their vocals. It's happened to Linkin Park and now it's happening to Evanescence, and neither are pop.

... Mmm, I think I'm done. I just had to vent a bit. :lol:

What are your thoughts?

LornVourkolakas

LornVourkolakas About To Blow Chunks

A little? You know how its like to read all that this early in the morning? (10am) Well, its early for me.

Anyways. I do agree with you. I think maybe amazon goes along with what their taste is. When obviously, when selling something, you don't go along with your taste, you go along with record sales and stuff.

And yeah, a lot of people like to classify bands. When I did a search on Linkin Park, their main site came up and said this.. "official site of the nü metal band" Heh.

I guess classifying things is just something people like to do. Its not just music, its everything. We even classified food groups and food in general. Like.. Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner. I think its just something humans have to do.

And classifying a group by the way thhey look is another hting people like to do. I think you should judge a band by their music, not the way they look or if their popular. Well those are my 2 cents.... *takes back themoney*

So early...

Chrissy

Chrissy Super Member

Pop is a really broad range of music, because pop does stand for popular. This means that any band that makes the top of a Billboards list or whatnot is pop music. (At least that's what I've been told.)

I never trust reviewers of any kind because it's hard to find an unbiased reviewer. Even movie critics...especially since there are some who bash all movies and some who give rave reviews to all movies.

I think you should stop taking reviews too seriously. It's a shame that these reviewers are making major mistakes while reviewing an album, because occaisonally that will be the deciding factor for someone to buy this album. At least people can listen to the music before they buy it to make their own decision on whether the music is good or not.

So I say to hell with music and movie reviewers. A lot of times they're just some random guy whose music taste is too narrow to review fairly!

^^

Alacrity

Alacrity don't stop talking to me; i haven't been listening LPA Super Member

OK Chrissy thats it. Im sending Jack Sparrow on you...oh no...you'd like that...erm uh...well STOP!!!!

She took the words out of my mouth.

Will

Then why did you bother posting?

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

Then why did you bother posting? [/b][/quote]
    Haha, word.

I can't stand reviewers. I can understand every band does at least one thing wrong in an album (usually), and instead of reviewing both sides, they review the worse side. These reviewers have a rod shoved so far up their ass that they poop out the worst crap possible :)P).

Honestly... I think that when LP is done (hopefully not soon), they could look back on this and love the haters. These bubble gum pop wannabe metal 'fans' seriously have no taste in music when it comes to rock because majority of reviews is just a way to bash a band and not able to take a brutal bashing.

Oh well, sadly not everyone will see eye to eye, but it is a downer that there are so many snobs in the world giving bands we love a bad name. Hell, I guess they had to get back at us since we say 'bands' like Backstreet Boys and Nsync suck :lol:.

:chemist:

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

I hate when people flame a band (even if it is a band I don't like!) for NO REASON. That gets me as ticked as Will gets (well, maybe not that much...!) but if they are gonna put in a bad review at least put in some credible reasons. Not just 'aw thats just dumb 'nu-metal', or 'that's sounds like so-and-so, those posers!'.

Not everyone has the same taste in music, so you can't expect everyone to reply positively. But one thing that I do tolerate is bashing on 'pop-stars' and most of the current rappers. They are just relying on trends and turning music into a big entertainment business. Seriously, some of those ppl (cough, 50 cent) have no talent.

There, I'm done! :D

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Linkin Park has had to deal with the pop label since they made their first video for One Step Closer. It was never the way they sounded that made people think they were pop it was the fact that girls who were blessed with the opportunity to see such a great video that things were made so chaotic.

Some off those girls went off to become fans of the music, while others squealed like a piggy over the looks of one of the band members and went off to tell their friends that "so and so is SOOO hot.". Linkin Park was regarded as rock for a very short time before they went off to europe and came back to see that rather then have all hardcore fans of the band? That 30% of them were teenies. Like it or not, Linkin Park's fanbase does consist of at least 30% teenybopper when you strip at all down. Most of the fans are real but the amount of teenyboppers are considerable enough to shift an outsiders view of the band.

It is because of annoying 13-16 year old girls that have nothing better to do then give into trends and drool over musicians that the public's view of Linkin Park has been changed. Linkin Park can only hope to maintain their rock status by releasing harder songs like "Faint" not soft songs like "Numb". Even though thats a beautiful song.

Cal

Cal LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

i think the evanescence being 'pop' was fuelled by The Used's vocalist.

Methybrea

WTF? Evanescence is pop??? What was that guy on!

PP:KUt

PP:KUt Banned

dude, that guy from the used is messed up. hell, he went out w/kelly osbourne!! doesnt that tell ya enough?? :D

Will

THANK YOU!

But if you were being sarcastic I feel really stupid right now. :lol:

Methybrea

LOL Will, I'm serious, and I actually AGREE with you on THIS one!

LornVourkolakas

LornVourkolakas About To Blow Chunks

It is because of annoying 13-16 year old girls that have nothing better to do then give into trends and drool over musicians that the public's view of Linkin Park has been changed.

Hey.. I'm a 15 year old girl andI didn't like one step closer cuz someone was... "hot". I liked the ninjas. :lol:

But yes, a lot of girls around my age liked lp when it wasn't for their music. Gives a bad name for us young teenagers ! :rasberry:

Chrissy

Chrissy Super Member

Hey I don't like any of the videos because any of the band are good looking, I like the stunning special effects. When I first saw One Step Closer I was like "Whoa...that guy is upside down!" XD

and this is coming from a 17 year old :p (not that that has any relevance whatsoever)

Whimsicality

Whimsicality I broke the dam.

Aw man, I agee Will. I stopped reading Amazon reviews when I got sick of hearing the words "poser" and "sellout."

I think people bash bands mostly for one reason:
    To fit in. When all their metalhead friends start s### talking about bands like LP, they jump on the bandwagon. Same goes with bands like Good Charlotte. When all the punks start calling them sell outs, everyone follows suit to look "cool."

Evanescence pop? That's sorta funny. Yeah, Bert (The Used) is a s### talker...I find it hilarious.

Edit: Oh, and you forgot punk :) And all it's many spin offs...Hardcore, emo, pop-punk, screamo, etc...

Whoa. I think Will you've made one of the most intelligent posts I've ever seen. :mellow: I agree 100%. Apparently, a song can only be "rock" if it splits your eardrum. That just really annoys me.

Jawknee

Jawknee Guest

Pfft, I know what you mean.

Ryan

Ryan You Greasy Bastard LPA Super VIP

Yah there are alot of people out there that just go on talking about music, but they really have no clue. I don't know how they are able to be editors for these sites and post such retarded bs. I mean it is hard to do a review on certain things without trying to put your own opinion on it and stuff, but that is why stuff like this should be done by a group of people and have a groups opinion. But yah that is why i try to take most reviews and reviewers opinions of music at as little face value as possible. Cause music is a thing that many people like and many don't like, where one person loves one thing and the other really hates it. So yah critics to me are usually about 97% bs.

Ander

Ander LPA VIP LPA Super VIP

*superxero clicked the link in the first post and saw this:*
    [​IMG]
    uhh <_< ....yeah <_< ...poser <_< ...sellout <_< ...idiot amazon users..anna kournikova in a bra!!! :eek: ...*click*