Linkin Park Gets Shocked

Discussion in 'News' started by Andrea, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

Yeah this is good news. Mike is supposed to be working on a track on Lupe Fiasco's new CD too so we got at least 3 tracks to look out for.

EazyLee

EazyLee Well-Known Member

now this is what i'm talking about :p

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

He did a good job on the Bleed it Out intro, so I'm hoping this will be good too.

Kippers

Kippers Active Member

I loved Shock Value, One of the rare CDs in my opinion where there isn't a single weak song in the list. Timbaland really has some crazy kind of talant when it comes to beats. A Shock Value 2 can only be good, especially with LP in it.

Can't wait :D

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I just hope this doesn't wind up being one of Timbaland's tracks where he rips off some obscure foreign artists' material, thinking that nobody will find out (see: Linkin Park and Jay-Z being sued because the instrumental in Big Pimpin' was ripped off of some Indian guy).

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

FYI, there's a huge difference between ripping off someone and sampling one of their songs. That's what Timbaland did when he was producing Big Pimpin' for Jay-Z, he sampled and looped a part from one of the indian artist's songs and used it as the basis for the song. Ripping someone off would be copying something someone else wrote and claiming it as your own. Timbaland never claimed nor disclaimed that the Big Pimpin' loop was his own.

The fact is that when you sample something, more often than not the sample is never chased up as plagiarism or copycatting someone elses work. If that was the case than the remaining alive members of the 60s funk band 'The Winstons' would be chasing up hundreds of thousands of Drum 'n' Bass, Hip-Hop and Jungle bands as more than 80% of the Drum patterns produced by Drum 'n' Bass, Hip-Hop and Jungle artists over the years (taking into note that the majority of songs produced by Drum 'n' Bass, Hip-Hop and Jungle bands are generated on computers) were sampled from one simple drum solo in the song 'Amen Brother' that has been placed in nearly all music production software. But don't take my word for it, look up something called 'The Amen Break'. It's increadible, but it's certainly not ripping them off.

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Just some random info, the musician is Egyptian not Indian :p

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
    vampirekittenLP

vampirekittenLP Well-Known Member

oh well.:whistling

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

From what I understand, that's exactly what he did. He couldn't find a means
    to clear the sample, so he created something that sounded similar to it. Apparently this is a common practice in hip-hop.

Whether, he sampled it or recreated it, though, is irrelevant. The fact is he isn't paying the person he "borrowed" from so he IS ripping them off.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
    Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Yeah, Beastie Boys have done it a few times being as their earlier music was so sample heavy. For example, at first they couldn't get clearance to release the version of Jimmy James that actually sampled Foxy Lady by Jimi Hendrix, so they had to create a sample that sounded like it for the album version.
    It basically comes down to whether you would say all sampling is plagiarism, for me, whether it's the original or something that replicates it.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Yeah, the Dust Brothers sampled a LOT of music on Paul's Boutique. I don't find sampling to be bad myself, but I think in this day and age, you really
    have to have your shit together as far as clearing samples goes. Timbalands been accused of this kind of thing before, though (like the incident with that Nelly Furtado song earlier this year).

Anyway, back on topic. The more I think about it, the more I get excited about
    this collaboration. I imagine this will be along the lines of "It's Going Down", but I could be wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.