Name & Shame

Discussion in 'Feedback & FAQ' started by DHopper, Aug 24, 2003.

DHopper

DHopper Well-Known Member

Not putting down LPA in any way, I would simply like to get some of the opinions of people on this board. I was talking with Derek about the Name & Shame. Certain aspects about it bother me. Although it is a good idea, there are also negative effects by having it.

Please post comments, and I will continue to watch this thread and follow-up on what people say.

Jawknee

Jawknee Guest

It's very effective because it teaches other websites to learn to give credit.

When you see the news use clips of other news, they credit them.

i.e.

Footage provided by CNN.

It's not easy finding exclusive news and it sucks when other people just steal it not giving credit to the LP fansite who had it first. ;)

DHopper

Very true in many ways. But, if a website is constantly using the news you have found, why not talk to that website first and ask if they would like to exchange news.
    Say something to the sort of 'News Provided by LPAssociation'. Rather than making the site mad (which happens in some cases), you are gaining publicity and at the same time making that website happy.

Jawknee

Jawknee Guest

I believe (don't quote me just yet) that the LPA staff contacts these sites first and if they disregard their request to give LPA credit, they're placed in the Name and Shame section of this site.

elie

elie Well-Known Member

If me or my visitors worked hard to get some news first, I dayam well want credit for it. If a site continuously steals news, then they deserve MORE than just the Name & Shame...

I don't think if a site steals a single source of news from LPA that they'd slap them on the Name & Shame (a bit too much work). But, if they continuously do it, the offending site should be thankful for just a light punishment of getting our name on another fansite..

Bryan

Bryan Guest

yes. all sites are contacted first, and then if they do not comply they are placed on name & shame.

Chrissy

Chrissy Super Member

It's a good idea because it teaches other sites that stealing news is not going to happen without a fight. Plagiarizing is one of the worst offenses any fansite could commit, and if in college you can get expelled or suspended for plagiarizing, obviously there's a message that it's not a good thing to do.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

No offense but you couldn't have talked to Derek because I dont remember anyone asking me about the name and shame. I know your Ex-LP site LPW is on there but certain actions from the sites administrator on LPW have earned him a spot on the site even if he never would have taken news, at all.

I refuse to talk about LPW much more then I have to because it's just far too stressful now, I'm sorry Derek but if you really need to know, message me. Lastly, yes we've been re-evaluating the importance of Name & Shame recentely, but I like it simply for the fact it exposes some websites for their trickery and wrongdoing. Several webmasters LOVE name and shame but a lot of members here do not and here we always put members before webmasters.

DHopper

No offense but you couldn't have talked to Derek because I dont remember anyone asking me about the name and shame. I know your Ex-LP site LPW is on there but certain actions from the sites administrator on LPW have earned him a spot on the site even if he never would have taken news, at all.

I refuse to talk about LPW much more then I have to because it's just far too stressful now, I'm sorry Derek but if you really need to know, message me. Lastly, yes we've been re-evaluating the importance of Name & Shame recentely, but I like it simply for the fact it exposes some websites for their trickery and wrongdoing. Several webmasters LOVE name and shame but a lot of members here do not and here we always put members before webmasters. [/b][/quote]
    Yes, I might be wrong, but I talked to ZshadowofadoubtZ on AIM. I thought I was talking to Derek.
    My post was not related to LPW in any way, I just wanted to hear some opinions. I honestly think that when the sites are on the Name & Shame, they really don't care. The sites I've been to that are on this list are very small. Half of those webmasters are probably young, under 13, and don't know that what they're doing is wrong.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

The fact of the matter is...

Don't start a fan site if you're just going to take stuff from other sites. That's what the Name & Shame is there to teach, in a sense. I've found that several webmasters love the Name & Shame until they're on it, and then they hate it and think it's a bad idea. Kelly from AdemaWeb.com loves the idea of Name & Shame and is even considering putting one on her web site. Other webmasters I've talked to have said that N&S is a good idea, because it lets other sites know what they're doing wrong and such, and that if they don't comply with a request to give credit or whatnot, that the whole world should see that they are just thieves and can't run a site on their own.

Edit:

Add that to the fact that plaigarism (sp?) is against the law.

DHopper

I know it's wrong. A better punishment would be to turn the website into their hosting company.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I know it's wrong. A better punishment would be to turn the website into their hosting company. [/b][/quote]
    So we're supposed to shut down the sites instead of warning them? I isn't all about the webmasters themselves who are plaigarising, it's the people who visit their site and think everything they're doing is original, when it isn't. It's a number of things.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I know it's wrong. A better punishment would be to turn the website into their hosting company. [/b][/quote]
    Yes, that's true.

However, before we do that, we ask that site to either A. give us credit or B. remove whatever it is that's causing us to contact them. We don't want to go to the extreme of contacting their host, but in some cases we've had to.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

We've already tried on some sites and its been proven it doesn't work. Besides...it would make us look bad. Hosting company's need proof of plagerism and proof that your news post was original and not actually from them. Even if you were hacked or attacked by another site, proof of who dunnit is needed before a website can just be shut down, its the way companies work.

And what would it gain us? The site would just back up their files and register under another host in a few days time anyways. The best thing Name and Shame does is ruin their rep or shame them enough so that they wouldn't even think of going near our site. Funny thing is, after we put them up..they seem to do it MORE. They must like the publicity, when really it just makes them look like inconsiderate scum who cant give credit for what they steal or do anything themselves, like Will and everyone on LPA staff has said at one time or another:

"Don't start a fan site if you're just going to take stuff from other sites."

I mean how pathetic is that when your website can't even run itself and its mooching off of several other sites? It makes me sick to my stomach that they can stoop down to being so pathetic. The message Name and Shame delivers to theives is simple: Get your own content or dont run a Linkin Park site. Simple as that.

Yes that is my screename Derek but I hardly remember anything about name and shame, could of been late at night though.

Any site that has gotten their rep tarnished in result of being on N&S deserves it for being so inconsiderate and not thinking of the hard work we've gone through to get that content/news in the first place.

LPA will be always been one of the top LP sites, and there's nothing any theiving sites can do about it. We got to where we are because we never steal, something other sites need to consider.

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

Name & Shame is one of the greatest things I've seen. I'm in a copyright situation myself and I'm going to a point where I may have to sue the person. They took my work, and never credited me or even keep my copyright on the image. I tried to contact the person and the host--it hasn't worked yet... and if by tomorrow the host doesn't do something about it, I have to go to court with this situation.

I think the LPA is pretty good about sites taking their work. They don't go to limits like I am (yet). They have name and shame. But sadly I don't have a high reputation so I have to take measures like this.

Name & Shame overall is a way to prove that there are idiots out there who will just be thieves and think they can get away with it. N&S proves that you can't.

Jawknee

Jawknee Guest

WTF? Didn't you just say LPA was being harsh by making this Name & Shame thing and now you're asking them to shutdown websites? Riiiiight.

th3ch3m1st

th3ch3m1st Active Member

Heck, all my friends that go to the name and shame go TO the site and usually like it.. you're pretty much advertising sites.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

if exposing them comes at the cost of a few hits, then that's no big problem. we're just telling people that these people are thieves, not barring them from going to their site.

DHopper

I don't know what I'm saying, I wanted to hear some opinions, that's all. :p