Final Round: Final Two (Best Song Tournament)

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Mark, Jun 24, 2007.

?

Choose Your Favourite

1. No More Sorrow

44.4%
  2. Papercut

55.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Papercut deserves this victory because it's the ultimate LP song!

...and now Papercut would like to thank...:lol:

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

The problem with this whole tournament is that it favoured songs that people didn't hate- not that they liked. It favoured the "safe" songs.

You should do a tournament where every match is two songs head to head like this. You know, make a bracket and put the current match on the LPA homepage. I think that would get many more votes, favour good songs instead of safe ones, and be far more accurate.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

But that doesn't make the playing field very fair, does it? I can't put H! Vltg3 up against No Roads Left and expect that to be a fair contest.

The whole reason for the process of elimination thing was to gradually find the average favourite song. Obviously it's not going to be accurate for each and every person.

I think the problem with this year's contest is that we had a group of mostly like-minded people voting in every round. We needed a wider group of participants, not the same people over and over again.

Two years ago it was A Place For My Head and P5hng Me A*wy in the final two. I thought that was highly reflective of what most fans at that time would consider the band's better songs. Maybe it's personal preference, but I don't understand why No More Sorrow got farther than TLTGYA. From a songwriting and creativity standpoint, I give the latter full marks in comparison to the former.

Perhaps next time I should ask people for their top 3 in each category and then pit the top 3 from each category against each other in a random bracket style, like you said. Could be easier to do (leave a poll up for a week) and the divide between the better and worse songs would be less because of the lower total of remaining songs. Hmm...

Just take a look at our top 6 from a few years ago, and our top 6 from this year:

2005:
    -- A Place For My Head (2nd)
    -- And One (4th)
    -- Carousel (5th)
    -- P5hng Me A*wy (1st)
    -- Papercut (6th)
    -- Part of Me (3rd)

2007:
    -- Faint (4th)
    -- In Pieces (5th)
    -- In The End (3rd)
    -- No More Sorrow (2nd)
    -- Papercut (1st)
    -- The Little Things Give You Away (6th)

I suppose "Papercut" is fitting considering it's the only song that repeats in both lists, and it's the quintessential description of Linkin Park's song. It's just the songs that surrounded it in the top 5 that confused me. :lol:

Dr. Faust

Dr. Faust "Your Epitaph Will Be A Barcode"

I vote The Little Things Give You Away! Oh, wait...

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

I realize there will be some deadly matches. But, let's face it, a song like H! Vltg3 isn't going to do well no matter how you set this up. Weak songs deserve to be put out early and easily. The idea of protecting them to level the playing field just skews everything. The playing field isn't level, and to force it to be so will skew the results accordingly.

You said Papercut is the standard quintessential Linkin Park song. As I said, the "safe" songs are favoured unfairly using this method.

Using a simply bracket, the higher rounds (those that actually matter) will still be close and "fair" on the whole.

This would also solve the problem of limited/repeated voters, as the LPA homepage will allow for far more votes then would a poll in the forums. It is more accessible, and the voting is less difficult.

I would love to see a more elaborate, involved, and fair contest to determine the best LP song. I like your idea and effort, but think your method leads something to be wished for. I thought the same last time you did this. This isn't just because of my own preference of songs, but just about the viability and integrity of the contest as a whole.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

if you do a knock out thing where 2 songs come up against each other each day and the song that gets voted more goes through to the next round you will get the best linkin park song. You won't get the best 2 songs in the final but you will end up with the best song, which is a better outcome IMO.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I'll keep that in mind for 2008.

giorgoslp

giorgoslp Banned

i do not know what to choose. ok, after lot of thinking no more sorrow(i love rob's drums)

JJ

JJ [i cant spoll preply]: LPA Super VIP

has to be Papercut

Animalihb

Animalihb New Member

I agree with the choice of Papercut, it's the song of my life...

But today my favorite song must be Given Up! That's 2007's Linkin Park (and year's) best music!

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Eh.....Given Up has awesome singing and instrumentation but the lyrics are terribly angsty. Not close to being the best music by the new Linkin Park at all in my opinion.

kev_

kev_ Well-Known Member

In Pieces for me. The song builds up beautifully to the final chorus. Best Combo of lyrics and music

Jammist

Jammist Well-Known Member

In Pieces was my fav song from my first listen of the album until now. The lyrics are meaningful, the chorus is catchy, the guitar solo is awesome, and I think it encompasses a lot of elements of the old LP (such as Joe's scratching) and gives them a new touch (brads solo and the reggae sound during verses).

erasethepain

erasethepain Well-Known Member

I don't agree. During the Hybrid Theory days, the band made me feel like they knew who they are and what they stood for. This defiently isn't the case now as they change all the time. But [f] it. Times change, great TV doesn't.

mc GANG

mc GANG Active Member

Cut the paper!
    :mike::phoenix::chester::rob::brad::joe:

Incze

Incze Active Member

Gotta love papercut! Best song ever!!!:thumbsup:

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Please do not post in dead threads, even if they are stickied.

General rule of thumb: If a thread has been inactive for more than 30 days, it is considered a dead thread and thus posting in there is called "necroposting". Necroposting is not allowed on these forums. Please feel free to check the rules in Newbie Camp if you have any other questions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.