Shadow of The Day - Linkin Park's Best Song?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Derek, Jan 2, 2008.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Discuss.

I've really come to embrace this song. The lyrical content, incredible vocal performance by Chester as well as the strings and instrumentation go so well together. The whole band performance is very cohesive and I consider it to be the best songs the band has ever written...if not at least the best song off of Minutes To Midnight.

It's the song I listen to the most by the band and I've logged over 138 listens to it in last.fm. Probably more if you consider the times I've heard it on TV, and in the cd player of my car..as well as my Ipod.

I've heard it that many times and I still love it. I feel it could end up being a 'classic'. Your thoughts?

Josh_

Josh_ Active Member

Yeah, for me it's definitely in the top 5. It's hard for me to pick one best song but it's arguably the best one they've written. SOTD is one of those songs for me where I can listen to it on my iPod and hear something different each time.

ragingxchaoz

ragingxchaoz Active Member

I personally believe (lol) that if Leave Out All The Rest is released as the next single, it'd have much greater impact than SOAD. It's more dramatic, and the strings and instrumentation are just phenomenal.

But IF it's not released as a single, then SOAD will take its place I'm pretty sure.

Rosh

Rosh Well-Known Member

Well...everyone has their opinion. :lol:

I don't hate Shadow of the Day, (the song that I probably dislike most is In Between) but I still only think it's meh. My favorite cohesive effort is The Little Things Give You Away, with the instrumentation, and the vocal harmonies. (Not my favorite song, though)

I notice now that you also think that this might be LP's best effort as a band as well, which I really have to disagree with. The fact that it sounds too much like U2, (I prefer uniqueness) and also that the song bores me a bit, (which surprises me a bit because I've never really thought about it before) really kills the song's chances for me.

Breaking the Habit is still number 1 in my books as Linkin Park's best song. The beautiful use of electronica meshed with strings and the versatility and layers of Chester's voice, coupled with the rush of energy I feel every time I hear it is what gives it that title for me. But of course, that's just for me, everyone's got their own feelings.

For the record, I think The Little Things... is the best song off of MtM (given your parameters), but my favorite song is still In Pieces. Love that solo. :D

chair

chair Member

I agree totally. (with it being their best song)
    I think it was one of the biggest advances for them in MTM. (along with TLTGYA) They've certainly proved they're not just a one-trick-pony and it looks like it's about to get the chart attention it deserves. :)

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Not even close

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
    Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Definately not their best... Try "Breaking The Habit" and "Carousel" and "Leave out all the rest" my top 3 linkin park songs

JJ

JJ [i cant spoll preply]: LPA Super VIP

for me.. its not the greatest LP song.

however, im a huge fan of the track. its really grown on me, and as Josh said, you can here something new every time you listen to it

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I don't think I'd say that Shadow of the Day is Linkin Park's best song, but it's definitely an effort worth being praised. It's one of my favorite songs off of Minutes to Midnight and when I first listened to the record, it was the one song that was stuck in my head for pretty much the next week or so.

To be honest, I think Linkin Park's best songs are The Little Things Give You Away, and KRWLNG. Those two songs, I think, are the best example of Linkin Park's creativity and emotion when portrayed in song.

Shadow of the Day, though, is up there.

Trumtram

Trumtram Well-Known Member

i have 173 tagged listenings of no roads left which i would consider one of their best...

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

i would never pick a best or worst because each song has something above the others that makes it special. i like all the songs on "minutes to midnight", i think they're all really good and each song has something special about it.

i can pick, like, my personal favourites and least favourites, though. ;) there is usually a difference between what i think to be the best and what i like best, and i can usually see that difference. but in regards to LP, i don't think of any songs as being best or worst but i have songs i like best most of the time.

"shadow of the day" is an awesome song. but, in my eyes, it's not the best for the reasons stated above.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
    mmmmtastycookies

mmmmtastycookies Not black & white, only organized confusion

I love shadow of the day. it's easy, yes. it's not like linkin park, yes. However the thing I personally like the most about it is that it reminds me of my december, and thats one of their best in my opinion. Out of their slower jams I'd have to say that shadow of the day is in the top 3.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I really like No roads left, the only thing is that I dont like the begining guitar much lol

lpboarder

lpboarder Well-Known Member

I didnt like this song at first. Partly because everyone was calling it a rip off of U2's "With or Without You" *gag* but also because I just wasnt feeling it. At the PR shows though.....well......I warmed up to it quickly and I'm now thrilled to hear it on the radio. :D