Emo

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Jesse, Feb 21, 2008.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

What do you think of this term-phrase. Do you think it's stupid or annoying? Do you think that only ignorant people mostly use the term. Do you love this word and use it for everything. Love it, hate it?

Discuss:

As for me personally, I hate this term. I've been called "Emo" many a time, and I've felt offended. Just because sometimes I am in a not so good mood does not give people a right to label me as a word, furthermore these people that call me it do not even really know me. Emo is a type of music, emotive hardcore or w/e screamo is not emo which a lot of people seem to think is. I just really hate the term and think it's quite useless and offensive, unless you label yourself as "emo". What do you think?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
    Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Screamo is emo, but with screaming. That's why it's called screamo. Surprise!

Anyway, there's a huge difference between being scene and being emo. Scene kids are generally alright, and are the ones who wear skin-tight jeans, stupid headbands, wear the "emo" hairstyle, etc. Emo kids can generally be anyone, including scene kids, who cut themselves, harm themselves, etc.

I think it's ridiculous to call someone "emo." It's stupid.

I'll use emo to describe Sunny Day Real Estate and early Jimmy Eat World, not my dumb neighbor.

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

Emo is a phrase that is so overused it lost any meaning. People call Panic at the Disco emo, when their lyrics and sound do not overlap at all with the stereotype. People just toss it around for the hell of it, because they can't think of an intelligent way to classify or insult a certain band. They just call it "emo" and feel it is now done with.

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

Emo is this social disease where you get really depressed, listen to music with lots of sad shit, dress dark, and usually get into self-mutilation as a way of relieving the terrible symptoms.

Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

I use it all the time, just for fun :lol:

People are calling bands emo because they wear make-up.

Jesse

I don't believe that you are "emo" if you wear dark clothing. I genuinely like black it's my favorite color (even though it's technically not a color), and I also don't believe emo is a depressed person either.

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

No.. that's like saying coughing means you have cancer. PSH! Dark clothing is just one of the things that happens to you when you get Emo.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Same here.

My idea of emo is MCR.

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

You also need hair styled like Zak's!

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

You mother fucker. I'm gonna kick your ass when I see you, you Canadian bitch.

On a lighter note, I, honestly, don't believe in the term 'Emo' and think it should be erased from all existence FOR AAAAALL ETERNITYYYYYYYYYYY

Messy Marj

Messy Marj LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I know it's a serious topic, but this makes me laugh. :lol:

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

Well, at least we know you don't have Emo.

Messy Marj

Messy Marj LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

We have similar hair though. :eek:

Jesse

I'm so emo my brownies cut themselves. so har har har. Seriously I hate the word lol

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

About as funny as racism, asshole. Emo is a real condition, and any joking about it whatsoever is entirely inappropriate.

vasiab

vasiab Banned

Finding N-Emo????:-D
    Ha! It's just another trend I think..I have a friend who became an emo just to have more crushes!:p
    Ewww...I don't like emos!

Jesse

Simply I disagree. But I may be an asshole. I don't believe emo is a condition, it's a term used to label people. Bi-poplar and suicidal are conditions, not emo. So once again, I disagree with you.

Theazninvasion68

Theazninvasion68 It's like blood to a vampire, our tragic desire. LPA Super VIP

Emo is a label, and to justify their lack of critical thought on the spur of moment.

Because majority of people refuse to look into their life, and find out "oh, why does this person do this, listen to depressing music, ect ect.." People just don't like you;therefore just mark you as "emo" and know you as that.

jerks. D=!

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

Okay. End thread.

EDIT: Nevermind. I apologize for saying End Thread. I didn't completely understand what was said in the first post, and I apologize. This isn't just an answer to what Emo is, it's a discussion of opinions, and for me to try to put an end to this thread is not right. I'm so sorry to everyone who thought the thread was over. Please resume discussion.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

You're comparing taking the piss out of emo to racism? Are you fucking kidding me?

I hate most things to do with Emo. It's just some ugly, mutated crap that branched out of Punk's darker side. I hate the look and most bands associated with it. I can't believe that it's actually grown so much and recognised as one of the major culture nowadays. It's completely stained rock culture and music, so much so that narrow minded cunts who don't know jack shit about rock/punk etc. just go around calling people Emos because they listen to rock music.

Bands are being mislabled as Emo and any music with what could be seen as 'Emo lyrics' is automaticly branded Emo. Fucking everything is Emo.

I tend to believe that people who choose to be Emo are either those who have a negative outlook on life and generally tend to say that their lives are much worse than they are in reality or those who are just following a trend. Anyone who actually does have problems and chooses to be Emo is an attention seeker.

I hate the whole thing with a passion and I hope this little Emo phase we're having passes. I'd rather be a Chav for fuck sake. And that's saying something considering I have a passionate hate for Chav culture. Bring back the days of Nu-Metal or Grunge is what I say. Hell Skinheads and Greasers for all I care. Just not Emo. I hope it dies quickly.