At wich point a Mp3 or vid. is legal?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Anthony., Sep 4, 2003.

Cal

Cal LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

some mp3's are legal, like the ones bands put on their sites, and some videos too, ive the band puts it up, u can take it and share it =/

Taylor Hewitt

Taylor Hewitt Well-Known Member

Chester said that he doesn't care and it's cool if we download off internet. So download away! :chaz: :chaz: :chaz:

Screw the record companies. Here's why this "Shut down Napster thing" sucks:

1) If I want to listen to just one song by a particular band, I have to buy the whole damn CD. They don't let you 'try it out' in a shop. And what if you don't like the whole CD? Tough sh!t. You either keep it, or ask for a refund which is a LOT of hassle if I have to refund every CD I don't like.

2) Where else are we supposed to find rare songs that aren't even officially released? If it weren't for file sharing, none of us will even get to hear Hybrid Theory EP!

3) Downloading won't do a band any harm unless people buy the CD once they've heard the MP3. LP themselves said that it was programs like Napster that helped them to gain more recognition. Downloading is good for obscure bands that are in need of people checking out their music. If downloading does a band harm, why are LP still filthy rich? Point proven.

4) Record companies still make a profit anyway. It's not like they're going to go bankrupt over night. Besides, CDs are so ridiculously priced these days, especially in the UK. I'm a poor student and you can bet I can't afford to pay £12.99 for a CD on a regular basis.

Nonetheless, I'm still an avid CD buyer. If a Mp3 I download sounds good to me, I will search high and low for the real thing. It's not a crime to download music and no one should have to feel guilty for doing it. IMO, people who can afford to buy CDs should do just that. If they can't, there's no harm in downloading some MP3s. Why should poor people be deprived of music anyway?

That's all I got to say. And I'm not saying Mp3s should be made available on the LPA. I was kinda going off-topic. But this "downloading music is theft" thing really annoys me.

Taylor Hewitt

Taylor Hewitt Well-Known Member

Yeah it it stupid how the record companies try to do something but never win.

Did you watch that interview afterparty where LP was touring with metalica and such? Chester said he is cool with downloading mp3s

WTH>You

WTH>You Banned

Downloading MP3's does not hurt a band. Period. It does hurt the underground bands though. Having a label, LP should not worry about it. I've downloaded about 80 songs and proud of it. If I get sued by the RIAA, I will fight.

figure9

figure9 Well-Known Member

lmao the latest version of klite++ has a blocker so that companys like the RIAA cant track people down oh and there is a petition against them there too and if im gonna get in any trouble for writing that tell me and i will remove it

Shade

Shade Well-Known Member

That is not perfect though. It only blocks known ips of RIAA users on Kazaa, and I bet everyone will agree that there are lots of unknown ones out there.

figure9

fair enough, can u be tracked if you dont share your mp3s but u download other peoples ?

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Linkin Park lost 5,000,000 sales to internet downloads. Don't you dare say it doesn't hurt them.

Anthony.

Anthony. .Orestes LPA Super VIP

But Linkin Park also said to people they should download... Anyway.

If they lost 5 million sales because of MP3s most other bands must have lost 7 millions + .

Will

That was just for Hybrid Theory. I'm sure they lost a few million downloads to Reanimation and a few more million to Meteora.

figure9

i think for once we should support pop music there is this catchy pop tune lol by some girls who didnt win pop stars the rivals they are called "clea" and have a song called "download it" its so cheesey and $}{!T lol

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Yeah, then they expected the downloaders to buy the cd's.

<!--QuoteBegin--Figure9
    @Sep 8 2003, 7:31 PM
    i think for once we should support pop music there is this catchy pop tune lol by some girls who didnt win pop stars the rivals they are called "clea" and have a song called "download it" its so cheesey and $}{!T lol [/quote]

wrong topic.

Anthony.

Anthony. .Orestes LPA Super VIP

Yeah, but where did you get this number? Is it really reliable? Because I'm not sure 5 million people would have ripped Hybrid Theory...

Alexis

Alexis Extremely H! Vltg3

I have about 60 mp3's that I have downloaded, and all but about 5 are from CD's I have already bought or I will buy. It does hurt the music industry, and I would be nowhere without my music so I try my best to support them.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

A study was performed by Soundscan and found that 4.5 million albums worth of Hybrid Theory were pirated. Believe it, don't doubt it's authenticity, because it's factual.

That was a while back, too. So it's obviously gone towards 5 mil.

Shade

Shade Well-Known Member

Yes, you can still be tracked. Turning off file sharing makes you a less likely target for being sued by the RIAA but it doesn't make you not a target. It depends if you're willing to risk it or not. If you turn it off, you probably won't be sued, but you still could.

Perhaps that is factual, perhaps it is not. Are you suggesting that the source that posted that went around and asked every single person who downloaded Hybrid Theory whether or not they owned or later bought the album? I have downloaded many Linkin Park songs and own every one of their albums at the same time. Whats to say that I'm not one of those 5 million people who 'pirated' that cd? I agree that the music industry has probably lost sales due to music downloaded, but to tell us that the statement above is 100% factual is wrong...it is an estimate that could easily be wrong.

Will

Neilson Soundscan is one of the most reliable music record-keepers in the entire world. They keep track of sales and downloads of all albums and they keep track of certificates that are given to bands' albums, such as Gold, Platinum and Diamond statuses.

Shade

Shade Well-Known Member

Perhaps so, but reliability is relative, and I know no one never interviewed me about whether I bought the albums I have downloaded. Perhaps they interviewed the stores from which I bought the albums but names etc. they are unable to give out for polls. Bottom Line: I can't see any way they could tell whether the people they have listed that 'pirated' those albums either owned or afterwards bought the albums they downloaded.

I'm not saying that the number of downloaded albums is innaccurate necessarily, perhaps it is right. But its impossible to tell how many of those people already owned or later bought those albums.

figure9

not really as the song is called download it ... therefor we should support the song in its campaign for downloading music