More Impt: Tell us what you think

Discussion in 'Feedback & FAQ' started by Omar, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Viper62

Viper62 Well-Known Member

I still think this is kinda 'George Michael', not beeing able to say one insulting word but beeing able to say the other

2. Cale.

Cale. Banned

How dare you!

3. Phantom Duck

Phantom Duck You are my detonator. LPA Super Member

Is anyone actually offended by the use of "gay" around or everyone's concerned that OTHER people may be?

4. Cale.

Cale. Banned

I can understand retard. But being insulted by 'gay' went out with mullets and spandex pants.

Plus I believe the dictionaries have updated so one of the definitions is along the lines of "unfashionable" I.e. "Those pants are so gay"

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  5. Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

That is true actually.

Who gives a shit though, we can all find more creative ways of expressing ourselves than calling everything gay.

6. Cale.

Cale. Banned

Yea. I don't really care.

I just enjoy a good debate about nothing.

7. Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

We've all noticed :lol:

I don't blame you, I do the same.

8. Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

I dont want them to succesfull because I couldnt care less. I just cant see why we can use Gods name and offend alot of people while we cant use gay and retard.

Just because you know people who are gay and retarded its not allowed? I know religious people but I dont feel offended when someone says goddammit. Yes I know, NO ONE IS GOD OR JESUS ON THIS BOARD but you can still offend someone.

9. Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

It all just seems odd to me because I have never encountered a single person who has found the usage of 'God' or 'God damn it' offensive. It's a common expression and I have a few friends who are very strong believers who are not offended by its usage. It's not really used to offend anybody unless you say 'Damn you', which it's not really used on these boards unless it's jokingly (from my understanding).

Using the words 'gay' or 'retarded' has been found to really offend some people. Yeah, it may not offend every homosexual or every person who knows someone who is mentally challenged, but it seems to offend more people than 'God' or 'God damn it' offends strong believers in God or Jesus Christ. There's also the fact that the usage of 'gay' and 'retarded' has been solely used nowadays as ways to offend those people. 'God' or 'God damn it' isn't really used to offend anybody. That's why the other words are often restricted and these words aren't.

And honestly, people who have been arguing the whole usage of 'God' and stuff...how come you haven't spoken out against people who use it before (unless I haven't been around long enough or haven't looked around well enough)? It seems to me that you're bringing this up just for the sake of the argument.

If you honestly, honestly feel that the usage of 'God' or 'God damn it' was really offensive, it should have been brought up *ages* ago. Bringing it up now really does not help your argument.

I'm not trying to offend anybody, I just look at this argument that people are having and I'm becoming baffled by the reasoning.

10. Chris

Then its just me and the rest of my community. When I say "Man you're so gay" or "Dude that was retared" nooobody complaints about it. Even people who know gay people or work with people with down syndrome. Some people dont take it serious when they're being called gay or retarded. They take it as a joke.

Maybe some of the people here should do it aswell. Thanks for your reply, the only reply where I didnt felt attacked by.

Anyway, I still dont get the point but I'm sure you guys love the rule. So be it.

11. mis

mis Well-Known Member

I just noticed that the person complaining the most about not being able to say "gay" or "retard" but we can say goddammit is ok should maybe look at their user name and think that maybe someone is offended by it (I'm sure there is a totally different meaning to it and I am not in least offended by it). I get what you are saying but if they start banning all potential offensive words no one will be typing much of anything. The other reason why religious sayings are usually more accepted is becasue they are not insults, you can't make you little brother cry by saying goddammit but you can if you call him "gay".

12. Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Think of it this way: Let's say "cancer" was a slang term for homosexuality, and let's say your father has cancer. Aren't you going to be kind of pissed when you see someone say, "Oh, man, that's cancer." I'd imagine you would be, unless you're just so ostracized from people who actually are offended by saying things like that. I mean, it makes absolutely no sense that "retarded" is a synonym for "stupid" because it's not as if they CHOSE that.

13. Chris

Im not going to respond to that, I'm sure someone else will tell you whats the difference between having cancer and being gay.

14. Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I see where you're coming from, dude.

And it's not that we love the rule. It's the fact that so many people have been warned by it, and have even been banned because of it. One reason to keep this rule would be simply the lack of fairness in removing it after so many people have broken it and been banned because of that.

Secondly, these rules come about because something has happened to provoke that rule being instated. The fact is that a lot of these rules don't come about unless they have been encountered either in the history of these message boards or on other message boards where they resulted in mild to serious problems.

The administrators and staff put these rules into place for the safety and stability of these forums. Obviously, the usage of 'gay' or 'retarded' has either put the forums in some way at risk, or it has ruined other forums credibility, leaving the staff to prevent that from happening here.

I understand that, perhaps where you come from, the usage of those words doesn't offend anybody. And nobody can blame you. Some people are simply indifferent to them and don't care. That's okay. That's who they are and we have no right to attack that. However, where you come from isn't the entirety of these forums, and although it may not seem like it, there are plenty of people who might be offended by them.

If the usage of 'God' or 'God damn it' offends you, I can understand that. And I don't want to be someone to offend you because you seem like a nice person and you don't deserve that sort of crap. However, because it hasn't threatened the safety or the stability of these forums, and because it hasn't offended somebody who made that offense public, their usage has not been restricted.

The truth of it is, there's only so much you can restrict before you make this forum a completely uninteresting bland community. Increasing censorship limits what people have to say. From my understanding, swear words used to be restricted for some time before they were finally allowed. It hasn't affected the LPA's stability so you can see why the swear words are still in use.

Also, the restricting of the use of 'gay' or 'retarded' prevents ignorance from coming onto these forums. It's common that people who use those words frequently and use them to mean 'lame' or 'stupid' (respectively) are people who are not only ignorant, but completely unaware and inconsiderate. I'm sure there are people in this world who use them in that way, but by no means intend on offending homosexuals or mentally challenged people, but the former is far more common. That is also probably another reason. It's going to prevent people like that from coming onto these boards, just like the 'no teenie comments' rule prevents immature fans from coming on and ravaging the boards like they have the official Linkin Park forums.

It's all about stability, to pack it all into a box for you. It's about stability. If the usage of 'God' or 'God damn it' affected this forum's safety and stability, it would be removed from usage too. I can almost guarantee that. However, since it does not do that (or at least, it has been shown to not do that) and since 'gay' or 'retarded' has apparently been a past issue (it must have been otherwise it wouldn't be a rule), it's probably not going to be restricted.

Just for the record, I'm still not attacking anybody with this. This is just what I think.

15. Chris

The no teenie is there for a really good question, no doubt about that :lol:

16. Will

There is absolutely no difference in the example I just gave you, whether you think being a homosexual is a choice or not.

17. Chris

Someone can die from cancer and there's always a possibility he can past away. When someone says "Thats cancer", you think of your dad and the possibility. When someone says "Thats gay", you dont think of your friend going to die.

Because cancer would offend me in that situation. If my father would be gay and someone says "Thats gay", who cares? Its just another word for stupid.

18. Will

You wouldn't be offended by someone using "gay" as a synonym for "stupid," thus implying that gay people are stupid? Because that's how that works, or at least that's how it works over here in the States. When you use "retarded" in place of "stupid," you're also implying that all retarded people are stupid, which is far from the truth.

I'm not trying to attack you or anything, just so you know. I'm trying to get you to see it from my point of view, because I can see it from yours, I just don't agree with it. :lol:

19. Chris

Thanks, I kinda felt like you were :lol:

Maybe its just the way how it works in the States. When someone makes a stupid remark I can just say "Man, thats retarded" without someone's going to preach me :p

20. mis

mis Well-Known Member

You can say almost anything when you are with your friends cause they know who you are and what your like. But saying those same things in the exact same way in the exact situation to a stranger is completely different. We all say things that are politically inncorrect (cause everything seems to be these days) it just depends on the company you are with when saying them. I don't think anyone here thinks that you a bad person because you can joke around with your friends and I think most everyone can even see where you are coming from too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.