Emo

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Jesse, Feb 21, 2008.

Dushan

Dushan Member

I agree with Ataka, emos are sad cuz they didn't noticed by other people, and as other of u said earlier, there are many scene kids that think they'r emos just becouze of style... It ceartnly a social disease, and it keep spreading... all in all, we cannont discuss about tastes, all of us have diffrent and emo is one of it ;)

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Bands like LP are paired with emo bands on tour simply because money hungry labels such as Warner are only following the emo trend. They see that it's taken off (for whatever reason I don't know) and it's, dare I say, the most popular form of rock music out there today. A good example of this is when the Nu-Metal phase was around, Evanescence's label wanted them to focus on mixing goth style rock with the Nu-Metal sound which is why Evanescence don't sound anything like they did back in 2003.

Also, Daughtry is a talented guy alright but he is in no way unique or original.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

It's not as if there are many bands still playing nu-metal anyway.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I'm sticking with my original opinion that "EMO" is just a label. It's used mostly by people who don't know what the hell they are talking about. I can understand, and comprehend using the term when kidding around but when labeling a person "EMO" because they listen to Visual Kei bands and dress all in black, I find that very offensive. Why can't a person just not have a label and be what they are? A person that likes black, and Visual Kei? And, yes many many many people I know say that all Visual Kei bands are "Emo"

Filthy

Filthy instagram & twitter: @evanfass

I think it should just be used to describe that genre of music.. nothing more, nothing less

I Scream

I Scream Member

that is not very respectful, and a violation to multiple forum rules.
    you should show at least some intelligence and respect other people's choices. personally, i find this reaction disgusting. if people considered as ''emo'' (including myself) like the msuic that they like and wear the clothes that they wear, let them! what if someone told you ''i absolutely hate your style, i hope you drop it quickly and i tell you to not listen to the music you like'' would you find it anywhere near ''fair'' , "normal"or "respectful"? of course not! but it is what youa re doing now.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
    Iain

Iain i am a sloth LPA Super Member

Emotive Hardcore. End of story. Look it up. It's not this whole "oh, I'm so sad, and no one understands me", it's just what it is. Emotive Hardcore. PATD isn't emo, all these people trying ot pass themselves off as emo are just either depressed, or pretending to be something they don't understand, or percieve as something it's not.

Jesse

Dude, emo is just a label. (IMHO) What defines emo in the sense of clothing style or music? You NEED to read this whole entire thread and if you had then I'm sorry to say you've missed a lot of things so go back and read again.

Like OFFA said, emo was originally Emotive Hardcore, not some type of label to stick on people

And as I've said all along liking black does not make you emo, listening to PATD does not make you emo, cutting yourself doesn't even make you emo, that just makes you a person who needs a therapist.

And actually I've found you the one being rude in saying that a person can not voice their opinion and discuss what they think emo is.(you didn't use those words but the message is the same) A person can voice their likes and dislikes. If I had said "I HATE FISH!" so, is that disrespectful for all the people who love fish? If someone wants to say they hate a certain style they can because it's their opinion and it's not harmfull or disrespectful at all.

Further more, this is a discussion thread. It's what it's for.

Luke

Actually I was invoking my freedom of speech to speak of my hatred for Emo. It's my opinion and I wont change it.

Also if it was a violation of the forum rules then why havn't I been warned yet? I've been here nearly 4 years, I know the rules. ;)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
    Iain

Emo is applied to people way too much, kind of like Goth. They're also mis-applied, if you wanna call it that. I know someone who's into Death Metal, and they do the whole white facepaint, black eye stuff. That's Death Metal. I also know someone who's into the whole scene thing. Scene and Emo are not the same thing. As for Goth, well, that's a whole different story. Emo and Goth are pretty much the same thing. You can be both without: being depressed, cutting, wearing dark makeup, having a weird haircut, wearing dark clothes, wearing tight clothes... Contrary to popular belief, most true "Emos" and Goths are actually quite happy people. Sure, they have their ups and downs like the rest of us, but that's just it. They're like the rest of us. Hell, recently, I've been getting into a bunch of Gothic stuff, but yet I'm not depressed, cutting, etc. Yes, it's true I wear black nailpolish, etc., but that's because I like it, not because I want to conform to a label.

I Scream

I Scream Member

i just fail to understand how one can ''hate'' a whole (pretty big) group of people. do you know all of them? have you any reason to hate them for the music they like? i mean, i hate rap music, but i don't have to hate all the ''gangsta'' people out there, i know some of them must be nice, so i tend not to say: ''i hate them''. my opinion is thus that i (to use your words) hate people who judge by appearance and music taste, or who just say things like ''i hate emos/goths''

@OFFA:
    i so agree with you. people see someone who in their eyes is a ''filthy goth'' and they just call it at them without thinking it through. i had a load of ''filthy goth''s and ''emofag''s thrown at me for practically the last three years. yes i wear a load of black. yes my hair covers my eye. yes i have mental issues. yes i am depressed a load. yes i am emotionally unstable. but can i do anything about it? can i change what i like? i am just who i am. if i see a shirt i like, i get it. if that shirt is considered ''emo'', who cares? it's not like i'm trying to be emo.

Luke

Excuse me, maybe you'd like to read all my posts in this thread before you start ranting at me.

You have no right to be telling me my views are wrong, especially since it seems you havn't even bothered to actually read the whole thread. If you did then you'd see this post:

For your information I'm the last person in the world to prejudge someone. When I see someone who genuinly has problems in their lives but still perseveres and gets on with their lives it sickens me to see someone who over-exagerates their problems/actually has no problems who beg for attention like little brats. Like Jesse (Grey Incubus) said earlier, just because I hate the culture that doesn't mean I hate the people. I hate those who chose to become emo to gain attention.

I by no means am saying that all people who chose to be emo are like that and I don't think even a majority of people do that however in my honest opinion the whole look of the culture is to be noticed and get attention. That's my opinion and whether you think it's wrong or not isn't of my concern.

Also, for your information, on this forum we use something called grammar and if you want to be taken seriously around here then you might wanna use it.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
    Janie Jones

Janie Jones Meghna is a Headcase

I shouldn't be butting into arguments because I just came back here, but that's very true. I think the problem is the image and the personality get confused a lot. mean, you can't help what you like, if you're a guy and you like eyeliner, or if you like the whole emo look on you, or think painting little bats near your eyes is cool, go for it, by all means. It makes you feel good to look a certain way, you should be ostracized for it. But some people try and mould their personality to conform to a stereotype, and that always annoys me. I guess when I sometimes speak aout hating, 'emo people', it is't because they like MCR or FOB or have hair sweeping their eyes or whatever. It's the fact that they moan about their non existent problems and think they're so 'cool' or whatever that does me. And this is by no means any sort of broad description of whom I think emos are, it's just- when people say they hate emos, I think this is the thing that they're talking about. When the style and the culture clash with personality. It's tough to seperate them because most of the times they overlap, I guess.

Luke

If someone likes the look of emo then fine, more power to them. I quite honestly don't understand why anyone would want to be emo but that's irrelevant. One thing I will say though is that if you chose to have the emo look then you're gonna be placed in a label like it or not.

I don't like labels any more than anyone else does but I can accept that they exist.

Iain

I know they exist, I just choose to ignore them. If that makes any sense. :lol:

I Scream

I Scream Member

i totally agree with the bold part.
    and i apologize for being respectless myself, i guess i'm just way to used to prejudging people who would react on this basically with ''shut up, emo-fag''

by the way, what did i do wrong grammar-wise??

i mostly agree with the bold parts again. i just want to say that indeed - you are you and you should be able to choose what to wear and what to listen to. adressing myself - if i wear skinny jeans and i striped t-shirt with a black-and-white hoodie, i get two hundred ''emo-fag''s hurled at me every day. But i want to look this way and feel good looking this way, so i do.

about the underlinded part: this is not always the fact. i for one have an actual mental illness, and indeed a load of problems in everyday life. but yes, i do resent the peeple who in any way think it is ''cool'' or whatever to have problems, or ''like''it in any way. bacause i can speak for most of us if i say that i don't enjoy having problems. I just do. i'm not going to whine about it here, and it takes a pretty lot of trust from me to get anything real out of me; i just find that talking about it can indeed be a great help. But it truly bothers me that anyone would be considered ''tough'' or ''cool'' for having problems

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Personally I think it's quite ridiculous for someone to lambaste other people because they choose to dress a certain way over another way one might find normal or at least more normal than the way they're choosing to dress in the first place. It's also quite dumb when the argument is brought up along the lines of, "You wouldn't like it if someone lambasted you for the way you dress, so why lambaste them?" Their response is always, "I wouldn't care." So why do it to them? Did it ever occur to you maybe they don't care either? If you've got to go out of your way to list reasons why "emos" or "scene kids" are so weird and crazy and how they "deserve" to be made fun of, then maybe you need a lesson in ethics or something, because that's the stupidest thing in the world.

Luke

I'm not saying anyone deserves to be persecuted simply by the way they dress...in fact I stand for the opposite. It's when people use the way they look and adopt a certain way of life that seems to scream out ''look at me!" that gets on my nerves.

I personally hate the look and I hate the fact that it's come to the point that if you put emo as one of your styles on your myspace music page (even if you're style isn't emo whatsoever) then you're gonna gain a fuck load more attention than many other better sounding bands out there because emo is the trend at the moment.

As I've said before, the only people I dislike who have anything to do with emo is the attention seekers and the people who just blindly follow it because they see it's the latest trend and just conform to it.

@I Scream - You don't use capitals or anything lol.

Jesse

Who said anything about making up reasons to make fun of the label(stereotype) "Emo". I was saying that its a right to say you do not like a certain style and if someone told me that they didn't like mine, which people have I wouldn't give a shit because I don't care what they think. I would care if people label me as emo though(as they have) as most people associate the word with depressed, crazy people who loves to make all their problems known, which isn't what emo is at all. It's a person who is just cray and depressed and who wants to make all problems known. I hate sandals! did I offend all the people on the beach wearing sandals? I don't think so.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

:ermm: I wasn't really directing that to anyone here. It was more of a general statement.