Official Nine Inch Nails Thread

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by $pvcxGhxztCasey, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Daniel

Daniel Run for your life. LPA Super Member

Trent Reznor SUCKS!

:lol: okay, now that I have your attention, let me introduce to you my rather controversial thread idea. After surfing these forums for a while, it seems I'm definitely in the minority of people who actually don't like Nine Inch Nails. I was just curious, who else shares my dissenting opninion, and for what reasons?

Please keep in mind, I'm looking for constructive criticism, not just "NIN is shit yo!1!1!1!". I'd like this to be a little bit more than just a "band bashing" thread, which is against forum rules anyway. I most definitely welcome anyone to prove me wrong, and hey, who knows; you might even change my mind.

Just so you all know, my reasons are fairly simple. I'm just plain not a fan of the music, and all of the fans I personally know seem to have a case of the "my musical tastes are better than yours" syndrome. Which is why it's so nice to see the people on here differ. I'll have to be the first in this thread to say, I have massive respect for Trent, for what he does, it just so happens I don't like the music.

I just thought this could be interesting, given there seems to be such a vast majority of people who love the band. Let the First Great NIN War of the LPA begin!

(I fully accept any of the mods or staff wishing to close this :lol:)

EDIT - If at all possible, try not to use the fact I have an MCR sig against me :lol:. I'd like to think I have pretty diverse musical taste.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  2. Cale.

Cale. Banned

I don't think you'll get too much support here, Daniel.

3. Daniel

That's what I figured. I'm totally prepared for having a new asshole torn. :lol:

4. Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I'm going to be the first to admit that I don't think that Trent Reznor is as amazing as his fan base would have non-fans believe. Sure, he's a brilliant musician, but not everything he touches turns to gold, as far as I'm concerned. Nine Inch Nails have one or two solid records, but that's about it, in my opinion.

It sort of reminds me how, today, people worship Anthony Green like he's a god. He's not. He's a huge asshole, first of all, sort of like Trent, and the only good work he's ever done -- in my opinion, mind you -- has been with Saosin.

5. Cale.

Cale. Banned

I think you should tell us why you don't like NIN first though. You waffled on for several paragraphs without actually criticising them. :p

6. Daniel

That's where my thread falls down. I don't have any particular, solid reasons for not liking NIN, I just don't dig the music. It's mainly the overrated (yes, I did just say that) aspect I don't like. I just don't personally find NIN to be God's gift to man, as some might have me believe (nobody on this forum mind).

:lol:, Will basically said everything I'm thinking, but better. As per usual.

7. Will

I don't have any solid reasons why I don't like Trent or Nine Inch Nails either. I just don't like them and that's all there is to it. I've never been able to enjoy their music like everyone else. And I guess that causes me to fail to understand why everyone thinks he's the poster boy for amazing music. Sure, they've got some good songs, but I think most of them are quite shitty. All my opinion, of course.

8. Cale.

Cale. Banned

There are some blatantly wrong opinions in this thread.

9. Will

That's the cost of having a differing opinion, aye?

10. Daniel

See, this is what I was hoping for. Differing opinions being argued, without a war erupting :lol:.

I'm going to have to say Cale, that could be classed as a good example of the "elitism" I was referring to....:lol:

11. Cale.

Cale. Banned

I'm just acting the cunt. Because I'm bored and because I can...probably.

You're both wrong about Trent. He'll prove you wrong with his next MCR/Mayday Parade influenced record.

12. Daniel

Why not. He's already got the hair.

:lol: I'm kidding, I'm kidding.

Totally looking forward to that one.

13. Will

I think the one thing that bothers me most about Nine Inch Nails is that I can't stand Trent's vocals. I don't think they're very good at all.

14. Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

I enjoy some of NIN's stuff but I think the band, aswell as Reznor himself, is madly overrated.

15. linkin park 101

linkin park 101 Shhh! If You're Quiet I'll Show You A Dinosaur

Ok, firstly i must admit ive only ever heard a handful of NIN's songs but i haven't been even the slightest bit impressed with any of them! Just sounds like weird singing over electronic drums! thats my opinion

16. Dedicated

Dedicated LPA Addict LPA Addict

I think NIN is one of those bands that you have to listen to and really get involved with before you realise how good they actually are.

When I first listened to NIN a while back I was just like "meh, they're alright, kinda, I guess..." it was only later on when I read into the whole idea and plan of Year Zero that I actually thought "maybe there's something to this." I think Trent's ingenuity is less in his music and more in his ability to translate his feelings to a massive audience by using clever ways of getting them interested in what he's doing.

That's just my opinion though.

17. Cale.

Cale. Banned

I'm actually not that emotionally attached to Trent where a hair-cut dig winds me up.

Feel free to make more.

Although you might send Casey and or Rachel, Sylar and Iceman into a manic episode.

Oh Will, you couldn't be more wrong.

Oh Lucas, you've let yourself down here. Just a really wrong post.
    Dear lord LP 101. Anyone who wants the NIN 101 need not read this.

Wrong in every sense of the word.

18. Will

I'm glad you've already admitted you're taking the piss.

You've definitely got the Nine Inch Nails elitist attitude going on. :lol:

19. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I am a fan, pretty much, but I don't consider Trent Reznor a genius.

20. Daniel

:lol: I can definitely see this thread going completely off the rails at many points thanks to Cale. Not that I'm complaining, lol.