Green Day Might Have The Album Of The Summer

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Iain, May 6, 2008.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

That's my point. They're simply scared of changing their sound and losing the audience they found with American Idiot.

Ant

Ant Ambient

Eh, just IMO, but I thought "American Idiot" was mediocre, and I think this stuff all is as well. American Idiot sounded like every other pop-punk fad band when it was released, IMO.

Harlz

Not really, it was prior to this recent pop-punk fad I think. Really back a few years the only ones I ever heard of were The Offspring, blink-182 and Green Day, for the most part.
    And they don't sound alike.
    Musically Green Day aren't that unique, tough their stuff is catchy, but Billie Joe does have a pretty unique voice.
    IMO anyway.

Iain

Iain i am a sloth LPA Super Member

Except, you know, it still had an element of punk in it, instead of just being a bunch of whiny brats who have never wanted for anything complaining a lot.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

I wouldn't go that far. Firstly, there are other members of the band (as stated before). So it isn't just the members of Green Day playing a new style of music. Secondly, I think they proved with Warning that they aren't afraid to do something different that might alienate their fan-base. I don't believe there's anything wrong with realizing something you've written doesn't really fit within your bands "sound", or where you want the bands sound to go, for that matter.

Ant

Ant Ambient

So because it had more of a political theme to it made it better?

Again, just IMO, but I listen to music because it sounds good or bad. If two songs sound identical and one's political and the other's teen angst-ish, I'm going to consider them just as good/just as bad.

Harlz: When American Idiot was released, there were tons of pop-punk bands. Good Charlotte, New Found Glory, etc.

Iain

No, I was just saying that Green Day, in comparison to most of the "pop-punk" bands (which, might I add, Green Day isn't), Green Day was more punk than the rest of them.

Harlz

That's my point though, bands should change their sound up. That's what I'm criticising them for. They should have the guts to make Green Day something other than the same 6 power chords they're been playing for 20 years.
    This coming from a Green Day fan.

@ Ant: Honestly, I've never heard a New Found Glory song in my life. Green Day were one of the few genuine punk bands left by then.

Oh man I probably just started the 'what is punk?' debate, didn't i?

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

To each their own, I suppose. :lol:

Iain

Nah. If it starts, I'm staying out of it, because I'm a little finicky over what punk truly is. However, punk is open to interpretation, because at the core, it's being who YOU are, and not conforming to everyone else's ideals. Basically going against everyone else and being yourself. And that's just the music part.

Ant

Ant Ambient

Fist of all, I do consider Green Day punk. But American Idiot sounded like every other pop-punk band out there.

And when did "pop" become such a dirty word? I consider Linkin Park pop rock. Pop means popular. Is Green Day not popular anymore?

Iain

Pop has inadvertently become associated Pop has inadvertently become associated with people like Ashley Simpson, and stuff like that, so some people don't like putting the pop prefix when talking about the genre of their favorite band(s).

Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Wait, pop the genre or pop as in 'popular'?

Ant

Ant Ambient

You do realize "pop" -- the genre -- stands for "popular", correct?

The Beatles were called "pop" music. Why is it so bad? People just need to swallow their pride sometimes and admit bands are pop bands. It's not bad, so why are people making it as such?

razer922

razer922 Well-Known Member

My guess is that people have a tendency to generalize things into groups, so they're easier to shun.

Remember the cliques in high school? Same idea. Group the nerds into their own group so you can just say "Stupid nerds" instead of naming x amount of names. =P

And along with that comes a fear of not wanting to be the "nerds". So you change to keep yourself out of the nerd group- even if you'd rather be a nerd.
    Just because everyone else dislikes nerds.

Iain

I guess what I'm trying to say is that when someone says "pop-punk" I think of all that gross, happy, fake-angst stuff that's so prevalent, rather than Green Day. I'm thinking more in terms of how it sounds, not how popular it is, which I guess would make me close-minded.

SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

actually i think Slipknot might have the album of the summer..green day is way overrated to me..they are ok thoughh

Iain

I think they're thinking in terms of appealing to all audiences. I like Slipknot, but not everyone is going to love listening to them. Green Day appeals to a really broad audience, and I think that's what they're basing this one at the moment.

SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

oh..well im talking about the quality of the album though.

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

For the record, as if anyone cares, I thought American Idiot was Green Day's worst album. This Foxboro Hut Tub side project doesn't really interest me either but it was really easy to tell it was them so I don't know what they were trying to do by hiding who it was, because it wasn't like it was some giant puzzle to figure out. Most people who listened to it knew it was them from the beginning