Opinions of Meteora now?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Radish, Aug 7, 2008.

Radish

Radish Guest

What does everyone think of Meteora now? Minutes to Midnight has been recieving all the attention for a long time; does it change your opinion on Meteora? Perhaps you appreciate it more, or dislike it more?

I personally think of Meteora as something that's really special - Now that Linkin Park have left their older sound we know we won't be getting anything that was even vaguely like it, so Meteora is now something that is sort of like a rare gem. It's perfect in my eyes, and there's almost nothing of it left.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Yeah it's awesome.
    Probably a bit more 'fun' than HT or MTM as well. More songs you could run at a party and such.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I think I still like about half of that album, but the rest I don't think I care much for any more. I barely listen to it at all whereas I do still listen to their other albums. Maybe if I tried listening to it end-to-end right now I'd be able to elaborate and possibly change my mind, for better or for worse.

SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

Meteora is still my favorite LP album...I like to think of it as LP's high point in ther career

Dean

I definitely don't really like the way it's mixed. The guitar and drums are way too polished for instance.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Meteora is Okay. I perfer M2M and HT though

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

I'd have to agree with you there.

In my opinion, this was probably one of the biggests problems with Meteora. And probably one of the reasons why LP should NOT have brought back Don Gilmore for it.

The Guitars dont sound natural or 'raw' enough, like they could have easily recorded them on Pro-tools for instance. and the drums aren't really high enough in the mix to appreciate Robs excellent work and improvement (if i say so myself) - his work on E2R was just amazing.

However, it does work with some songs (LFY comes to mind) but i bet if it was mixed and recorded differently, I'll be it'll sound much better.

Another thing that seems to me was a big decline from HT was the lyrics. The majorty of the songs weren't on-par with HT and some seemed quite average (but with an big exception for BTH) and they all seemed to talk about the same old issues. I feel this sound have been better. Luckily they got right back on track for MtM.

Yet with all that said, Meteora is still a fabulous and classic album, that includes some greats melodies and styles - Each track has their own magic and there listenable over and over again.

Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

Its still as good as before (imo)

Theazninvasion68

Theazninvasion68 It's like blood to a vampire, our tragic desire. LPA Super VIP

It's pretty good.
    But i'd say it's a Classic for the Angst, or when your angry/feel down

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Well, the mix on "Minutes To Midnight" really accentuated and distinguished all the sounds. In particular, on "Valentine's Day", the drums pack a lot of punch; compare that to, say, "Lying From You". "Meteora" was good for its time, though, I guess.

EDIT: Let me put this a bit clearer; to me, on "Meteora", the guitars drowned out the impact of the drums. And, obviously, the bass too. Best example is the chorus of "Lying From You" but I'm sure there are more.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
    Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

The drums in Valentine's Day are just fucking awesome.

kev_

kev_ Well-Known Member

Meteora is kinda, blegh. It's okay, a lot of songs run together and get boring. They had to have had something better to put on than hit the floor seriously. Not LP's best effort, Phoenix didn't even have to show up if he didn't want to, the bass is ridiculously low in the mix

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Personally, despite Meteora being too much like Hybrid Theory, I always favored it more than Hybrid Theory, and even more than Minutes to Midnight. I rather liked it.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

[​IMG]

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

When Meteora first came out, I bashed it all the time, claiming it sounded too much like Hybrid Theory. I still think that's true, but I've grown to like it a lot, and oftentimes I'll find myself wanting to listen to Meteora over Hybrid Theory. I won't say it's their best album, because I think Hybrid Theory is that, but Meteora's probably No. 2 on that list for me.

Dean

Plus the drums didn't sound so great on that one either.

Rather Red

Rather Red Well-Known Member

Meteora has it's share of good songs, but they were overplayed... everywhere. I've heard "Somewhere I Belong", "Faint", "Breaking the Habit", and "Numb" WAY too many times. Some gems that I still listen to are "Lying From You" (which I think is a song that perfectly exemplifies the best of LP) and "Hit the Floor". The songs that I didn't mention aren't very good in my eyes.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Meteora isn't bad by any means, but there are surely some things that could have been better. For instance, Chester's voice is overlapped WAY too much. His voice sounds fake on the record, and it sounded much, much better on Hybrid Theory and Minutes to Midnight. Reanimation is an exception because that was a remix album. There are some great songs on Meteora, but one song I could probably do without is Somewhere I Belong. While I support the band as a whole, I could do without this song, or at least have it much better. Maybe if they didn't re-write the chorus 40 times and would have stuck to their guns without Don telling them to keep re-writing, then maybe it would be better. The music itself is solid, but the lyrical content on that song, and most of the record is weak.

Everything else I would say about this record has already been said.

Out of the 4 full-length albums Linkin Park has put out, Hybrid Theory will always be at the top of my list and Meteora still brings up the caboose, and I hope it stays there for future albums sake.

Roxas

Roxas Well-Known Member

Meteora is my favourite album of theirs. Some say that it's 'A Hybrid Theory Part 2', but it's not. It may be similar to to HT but it's still WAY different in other ways. For example, they way they showed their electronic side, as they said. I agree with Radish; now that I don't think we're going to hear that sound again, it's best to appreciate it the way it is.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Yeah, 'cause, I mean, "With You", "Cure For The Itch", "Crawling" ... severe lack of electronics there.