Slipknot All Hope Is Gone

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Snail, Aug 21, 2008.

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

So for those who have heard it, thoughts?

Thus far, I'm lovin' this album, judging from the few tracks that I've listened to. Tracks such as 'Snuff', 'Til We Die', and 'Dead Memories' did not let me down.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

It's pretty disappointing, in my opinion. The more straightforward tracks are good but not on par with their first album, and with others it seems like they tried to make them sound more unusual for the sake of it whereas on Volume 3 the experimentation actually seemed to come naturally. That's only after one listen though so my opinion might change for better or for worse.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

I have to agree with Dean on this one; the album is disappointing. A few of the songs come off as very contrived and cookie-cutter, imo. After 3-4 listens, only a handful of tracks are particularly memorable, and even those fall short of the quality of the bands past work. I hate to say all of that, because I really do think Slipknot is a much better band than a lot of people give them credit for. Perhaps it'll take some time to sink in, but that's my opinion on it at this point in time.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

I think it's a brilliant album and I love it but it's not as good as Volume 3 I don't think.

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

I definitely think its one of the top 5 albums of the year for me. I love every track, but I cant really choose between it or Vol. 3 as Slipknots best work.

Rather Red

Rather Red Well-Known Member

I'm waiting until the official release, but I sure hope it lives up to the creativity and power of Volume III.

No Ace Just You

No Ace Just You Well-Known Member

I think it's a great album, and it;s slightly disappointing that the first singles were so bad. Gematria (The Killing Name) is old school Slipknot, and Snuff is beautiful.

I'd say, a very good album, will become one of my faves this year.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I was looking forward to hearing Snuff but I thought it turned out to be inferior Alice In Chains. It's not even comparable to Stone Sour because they excel at simple straight-up rock and it can't even be considered that. Butchers Hook sounds a lot like Meshuggah but it's about as good/bad as them, albeit not necessarily for the same reasons. They might as well have just made an album of songs like Psychosocial and Sulfur for all the good trying to 'experiment' did in this case.

It's this year's Puzzle by Biffy Clyro. Not that good, not bad, not as good as their previous work and overrated by critics. Will probably be compared favourably to classics of its genre, like Puzzle was to albums like Relationship Of Command and Nevermind, when it probably didn't deserve to be. Like Tim I don't want to be too critical of this album because I think the band get a lot of unfair criticism already but I really don't think it's much cop.

DJHybrid

DJHybrid Member

I really liked this album. All Hope Is Gone is a clear showing of Slipknots talent and that they still now how to make amazing music. It comes out August 26th! Everyone get it!

danielpsoad-09

danielpsoad-09 Well-Known Member

I think this album is great. It's better than Subliminal Verses, in my opinion.
    There's a good balance between nice melodies and powerful moments ... I think they did a great job mixing that.

Favorite songs : Gematria and Snuff

Snail

Just wonderin', does anybody have any clue what the 'Track 16 (ITunes Exclusive track)' may be? Was it merely a rumour? If it was a confirmed exclusive has it's distribution since been cancelled?

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Do I wanna see them live soon?

LPstreetsoldiergurl14

LPstreetsoldiergurl14 Well-Known Member

I love the new cd. My favorite song at the moment is Snuff
    Me and my friend were listening to it and when we heard snuff he's like why is stone sour in slipknot!

but I recently saw slipknot live on aug 10th
    they were amaaaazing.

Chris Tucker

Chris Tucker Banned

Definately the best album of the year so far. Ive listened to it like 5 times in the last two days :D

INK12Many

INK12Many Well-Known Member

Album is pretty good. The whole album sounds like one big track. I guess they did it right with the flow.

The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

i think its definitely a great follow up to vol. 3 which is one of my favorite albums of all time. all hope is gone solidifies slipknot as one of my favorite bands if not my favorite. i was a little disappointed at first but songs like dead memories and snuff have grown on me big time. sulfur is really the only track that i cant get into except for the bonus tracks which i can see why they werent on the album. i think this is definitely a must for any slipknot fan and this is on my top 5 list for album of the year. and to answer a question from earlier i believe the itunes exclusive track was just psychosocial live.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I didn't like it at all. I didn't think it was very good. But then again, I don't like Slipknot very much to begin with.

However, for those of you who're seeing them live soon, one of my friends saw them with Disturbed on that Mayhem Festival thing, and he said they were outstanding. So that's that.

Snail

Just bought the album last night. Definitely an impressive album, and worth the listen. I thought that the album as a whole flowed pretty nicely. There was a good balance between the edgier, 'destructive' or 'brutal' sound and the melodic side of the Knot'. I was actually surprised to discover how much they've chosen to exploit the softer side of the band; it's a big sigh of relief in my opinion however.

However, Nothing is perfect, and All Hope Is Gone is far from being anything of that degree. The level of experimentation in this album is definitely far from the impact that Vol.3 provided. As someone had mentioned in a post above, the experimentational value seemed much more 'natural' as opposed to the almost seemingly refined sound present in songs such as 'Gehenna', and 'Til We Die'. Another thing that I should mention is that the creepy, almost evil(?) tone that was touched upon in all three of the previous albums is thrown out the window; either that, or they didn't execute it properly (Gehenna).

In short; solos aplenty, soaring vocals, edgier, sharper, much more refined, and terribly good as a whole. Personally for me; the best album of the year.

Choice favourites:
    Sulfer
    Dead Memories
    Gehenna
    This Cold Black
    Snuff
    Child of Burning Time
    Til We Die

Also, if anybody has viewed the DVD that came with the album in the 'special edition', you'll notice that there are a few instances of Shawn, Paul, and Jim having an intriguing 'jam session' if you will. I remember reading somewhere that there were several tracks recorded with Shawn (Clown) on drums as opposed to Joey that were never chosen to be on the album. Most Likely, the few instances where the three played together were segments from the possible unreleased tracks.

The parts that I'm talking about start at 1:49 of this video and 7:18 It's definitely worth the listen. They sound amazing; almost as if they could be the natural direct offspring in sound of Vol.3. Hopefully they'll release the full lengthed songs in a future re-release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyyDuYFxT2A

INK12Many

INK12Many Well-Known Member

I just Met F*cking MICK THOMSON!!!
    here in my home town, at our music store, Sound Stage
    we are the first and two of the places Mick was going to visit to show off his new Ibanez Guitars...
    Just got back from meeting him.
    it was Awesome
    he signed my Slipknot Self titled CD
    and he signed my brothers Zune Media Player...(he agreed he likes those than the iPod)...wow
    he signed his photo that he gaved out to everyone...
    about 500 people showed up and he will be here from 7 to 9 (right now its 8:45pm)
    I came in shooked his hand as hard as I could and he was just like a beast when he shook my hand.
    he said "Whats up fella's"
    me and my brother asked him what he did in Fresno. and he just said he fell asleep all day.
    and well that is all you do in Fresno...lol
    then we got into a conversation about the difference between Tim Burton's batman and the new batman movie.
    and he agrees Dark Knight rules. although he said he would have been an awesome Cameo.
    after we took a picture together, he put his arms around us and took the picture.
    he said "take it easy and stay SIC" and gaves us the devils horns...
    it was just amazing...great 7 minutes.
    ill put up his photo and the pic we took in a bit.

Snail

Lucky you. Stay (sic)