Linkin Park To Record a Concept Album; Chester Talks Solo Project

Discussion in 'News' started by Andrea, Oct 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

For their fourth album, Linkin Park singer Chester Bennington has revealed that the band will follow up their successful "Minutes To Midnight" record with a concept album, which they will start recording in early November.

"I'm not sure I'm allowed to say what the big plan is," he notes, but tells Billboard.com that Linkin Park "never envisioned ourselves doing a concept record, but we see an opportunity to do something really cool so we jumped on it, and we'll see how it comes out. I think it's a challenge and we'll see if we can rise to the occasion."

Bennington also addresses his solo project saying he hopes to have it out next spring or summer. "I'll probably be finished in the next couple months," who describes the set as "a lot more straightforward rock, with a little bit of an electronic element to it, lots of keys and snyths and stuff like that. And there are a few elements where I think you'll be able to see what my influence on (Linkin Park) is."

He also hopes "to do as much touring as possible" to promote the solo album but adds that he's wary of "putting myself in a situation where I can't finish the Linkin Park record because I'm supposed to be on a tour. It's a really delicate kind of balancing act I'm gonna try to pull off here."

To read more, please visit Billboard.com.

Thanks to TheRockChick for the news!

Ophelia

Ophelia LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

Very interesting. I can't wait to see what they come up with.

I really am looking forward to Chester's solo project as well.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

To be honest, I'm not looking forward to Chester's solo album anymore. But I'm definitely looking forward to LP's next album, even with as much as I disliked Minutes to Midnight.

Gitsnik

Gitsnik WAAAGH!!! Über Member

As long as they are creative and more active than during the MTM period I'm all in.

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

I doubt it will come out as a concept album in all honesty. Remember when they tried writing a song for the LPU and it didnt work? It just seems like something they might not be able to do...but we will see.

Nick595

Nick595 Well-Known Member

Ok stupid question, but what is a concept album? :p

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

As I understand it, its an album made to fit a certain theme or story.

Gitsnik

Gitsnik WAAAGH!!! Über Member

By Wiki:

In popular music, a concept album is an album which is "unified by a theme, which can be instrumental, compositional, narrative, or lyrical". Most often they are pre-planned (conceived) and with all songs contributing to a single overall theme or unified story, this plan or story being the concept. This is in contrast to the standard practice of an artist or group releasing an album consisting of a number of unconnected (lyrically or otherwise) songs performed by the artist. Given that the suggestion of something as vague as an overall mood often tags a work as being a concept album, a precise definition of the term proves problematic.

TheRockChick

TheRockChick Pffft... LPA Super Member

I'm pretty exited about both albums. Mostly about Linkin Park's, though.

2xPutt

2xPutt Well-Known Member

I'm kind of torn between this. Of all the bands in the world, I can honestly see LP pulling off a great concept album, but then again, once that is released, 95% of LPA members will whine that "the cd sucked because it's all the 'same thing'". I'm torn because I want a new LP record, but I really want a Chester solo record first.... only time will tell... let's hope we receive greatness :D

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

If anything more people seem to complain when it's not the same thing.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Oh wow, that's really interesting... I really did not expect that.

There's some concept albums I love, Dream Theater's Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From A Memory, Green Day's American Idiot, Nine Inch Nails' The Downward Spiral etc.
    So if it's a good, original concept, I may very well love this...

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Hopefully the lyrical themes and whatnot will work outside of the album's context though. I mean, using Tales Don't Tell Themselves by Funeral For A Friend as an example, as good as that album is sometimes I can't really get my head around all the nautical references if I'm not listening to the whole album.

2xPutt

2xPutt Well-Known Member

at the end of the day, 100% of fans will not love the final product is what I should say :lol: it just seems like when one "craving" is satisfied, everyone's hungry for something else. lol

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Good point.
    But I think it might be a very vague concept, so it may not matter too much.

underground1

underground1 Well-Known Member

now i guess the real question is, will they get a different producer or stick with rick?

{L}EcM3311{P}

{L}EcM3311{P} Well-Known Member

I am looking forward to it! Just as long as I hear more rapping from mike. I love the songs where Chester and Mike both are in the song. Also, Usually with concept albums, songs tend to be lengthy. If they pull it off, you think there are gonna be any guitar/drum solos, or just instrumental parts like towards the end of LOATR... whatever it is I'm gonna love it :D

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Yeah but a lot of people really can relate to general meanings and messages of the songs from that album, like for example Into Oblivion, The Diary, Walk Away etc.

But even if no one could relate to the songs, who cares, they're fucking amazing anyway :D

The_Cool_Cow

The_Cool_Cow Well-Known Member

Frick yes! I love concept albums, and i've been especially intrigued by them since i've listened to the Songs From The Black Hole demos. So, yeah im pretty excited about this. I really think that the band could pull it off.

In terms of producers, im hoping they dont use Rick Rubin. His production is too clean for my taste. Instead, I would suggest either Flood/Alan Moulder, or Jackknife Lee.

In regards to Chesters project, I cant say that im too excited about it, though ill definately give it a listen once its out.

Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I hope Mike and Chester do some harmonizing on some songs since Mike has proven himself to be a good singer now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.