Blame Linkin Park?

Discussion in 'News' started by Mark, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

The mother of a teenage girl who cut herself with a blade during school has blamed Linkin Park, saying their song lyrics contributed to her daughter harming herself.

The 14-year-old English girl cut her hand with a blade and swallowed four pills last week in class while attending Normanton Freeston High School in Wakefield, UK. She says the lyrics from bands like Linkin Park have an effect on teenagers. Surely, it can't be the parents fault.

Editorial: The accusation that Linkin Park writes lyrics which encourage such behaviour is asinine, for LP have never written a song telling anyone to cut themselves or try to overdose on pills. "Breaking The Habit", the closest song LP have ever written about this subject, may sound like it's about cutting or suicide, but the song's meaning is vague because they don't ever say the words suicide or cutting on the track. "Breaking The Habit" is from the point of a narrator, and does not envoke a "go harm yourself" theme. The song which seems to be blamed is "One Step Closer", particularly the lyrics "Everything you say to me, takes me one step closer to the edge, and I'm about to break." The song is often misinterpreted by the media, but it's about bottling up hate and anger after a long period of time and exploding into a fit of rage after you get fed up. The media and parents should pay closer attention to the lyrics before blaming any band for a teenagers extreme actions.

Read the full article here.

Thanks to Jas!

Ryan

Ryan You Greasy Bastard LPA Super VIP

This is the dumbest thing i have heard all day. I can't believe how some people out there try to find an easy solution to such a difficult problem. The parents don't want to think that it was anything that they did that would want to make their kid commit suicide. I mean i don't care what kind of music people listen to, even if it is something like Hatebreed or Slayer where they do portray those messages of death, you can't tell me that it would want to make somebody kill themselves. I think one would have to be a little psychotic amongst a few other thing in order to do something like that. I mean if this is a solution to the problem then we can probably say that young teen girls who are becoming sluts is because of music like Brittney Speres and Christina Aguilera. I just think that too many people in society try and find a simple solution to such a hard problem, and are willing to blame almost anything but their actual parenting.

Jamie

Jamie Super Member LPA Super Member

That is really crap! Dumbest story of the month. I agree with the response given. If it does mention the words "suicide" or "cutting" I'll eat my hat!

In conclusion...The parent is hopeless and needs to listen to the lyrics and LP rule!

LinkinEmz

LinkinEmz New Member

Oh my god...I can't believe how they can blame LP for this! It's up to her what she did, band lyrics can't influence somebady that much... I left Freeston this summer and I heard about this early this week after it happened and I was actually at Freeston last night for a presentation evening. I actually know the teacher that was in class teaching when it happened, it was in the middle of performing arts and that teacher was (don't know if she still is) off sick becuase of how it affected her.

Jamie

Damn thats bad.

XeroToHero

XeroToHero Well-Known Member

Of all the things I've heard in the past week (even what Rush Limbaugh said on ESPN), that has to take the cake, the icing, hell, the whole bakery for that matter. Maybe it should be blamed on the parents for not noticing any problems this girl had in the first place

whenthisbegan

whenthisbegan Well-Known Member

They make it sound like all 6 members of Linkin Park where there with the pill bottle and the blade, saying "CUT AND OD!!"

This kind of #### happeneds to Eminem, too and it's pathetic because it's only words. I know words can hurt, but you can turn off a CD, and like the editorial comment said, their songs do not evoke suicide. That's the last thing that Linkin Park would want for any of their fans.

XeroToHero

XeroToHero Well-Known Member

This girl probably didn't want to get on her parents bad side (their fault) so she came up a fake story blaming Linkin Park.

Crap. Absloute Crap.

zHoLoGz

zHoLoGz Member

that really sucks!!! a girl cuts her hand with a blade ,swallows 4 pills and blames LP!?!?!? how stupid

whenthisbegan

whenthisbegan Well-Known Member

Which is why I sometimes wonder if Linkin Park a bit too much for young kids to listen to, you know? Not to insult you if you're around that age but some kids just don't know how to handle their emotions when listening to heavy driven songs like theirs.

Jamie

I wouldn't say they are that heavy driven. More of a erm.. in-between heavy and well softly really. But I can see where you're coming from

Ninnut85

Ninnut85 Well-Known Member

They always look for blame when this sort of thing happens, they find out who their kids fave band is and blame them. Its happened before. As people said jsut the parents blaming anyone but themselves.
    I haven't seen this in any news and i live in the uk. So no ones making a huge deal about it.

Also at the bottom of the article it says

A Linkin Park lyric from One Step Closer:
    "Everything you say to me takes me one step closer to the edge,
    And I'm about to break."

What does that have to do with anything? it doesn't say 'Everything you say to be takes me one step closer to the edge and im about to cut my wrists and take pills'
    Stupid media

fearphobic

fearphobic Well-Known Member

this is the stupidest thing i've ever heard!!! okok, so she cut herself and took 4 pills, but that does NOT mean that itz LP's fault. the lyrics don't talk abt suicide and stuff like that, i don't get wuz wrong with ppl out there. thatz totally sucks!!! oh, and if LP were really affecting her like that then she should've stopped listening to them rite? but they weren't!!! she's jus probably too scared to admit itz her parents who make her feel pathetic, or maybe her parents r making her sush up abt y she really did that...or something like that...but itz not LP's fault!!!

linkinlover4ever

linkinlover4ever New Member

ya i read this here and it's pure bullshit

once again in no way does linkin park encourage suicide in any of their songs so screw that mother

numbfuse

numbfuse Well-Known Member

God wat is with these people today?? I have a challenge, pull up some linkin park lyrics that SAY EXACTLY to slash yourself and take pills...go ahead I DARE YOU....JEEZ that mother ought to go to hell... :angry:

Debus

Debus Morbid Fascination LPA Addict

I can't see how LP could have affected her that much honeslty. Yeah sure their songs are quite amotional but not that emotional. She must have had severe depression to do something like that and a load more s**t in her life to do that. That is very sad though :( :(

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

:lol: :lol: :lol:!

Exactly.

Jamie

:lol: :lol: :lol:!

Exactly. [/b][/quote]
    Got the nail on the head there

Toast

Toast Ambient

It's not LP's fault!

D Boarder

D Boarder New Member

Hey i'm New Here, but I Had To respons on this subject. Ofcourse it's Nonsense Blaming Lp for this. But On the other side Listen to Part Of me. It's Says things About having big Problems en just to stop it with a simple awnser. (Cut Myself Free, Willingly stop just what’s killing me). I don't think it could be the other songs Like Breaking The Habit or One Stap Closer. Maybe the girl had so much trouble in her life and she gets sick of it and cut herself free. (jus Like the songs about). But Still I Wont Blame LP fot this I only say that Part Of Me does compare a little bit, but would not ever inflouence someone like that. That's up to yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.