Blame Linkin Park?

Discussion in 'News' started by Mark, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Anya

Anya Lost LPA Super VIP

Okay um...LP has NEVER said anything about suicide, maybe vented it out in their lyrics in some way, but never really mentioned anything about it. You can't just cut your self by listening to lyrics from a band, there has to be at least somthing that was going on that depressed that girl in her life, at school, at home ANYWHERE!But that's just stupid if you cut yourself because you heard a song talk about suicide, there has to be another reason why, or else she wouldn't do that. Her parents need to stop blaming LP because I bet in some way it may have been them that caused it but they don't want to believe it. Parent's blaming other bands for their teenagers actions has been going on for ages. They need to stop. :rolleyes:

Anthony.

Anthony. .Orestes LPA Super VIP

Yeah. And it could be the same for 1000 other songs.

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

I did not read the article (yet) as I am posting this, but from what I read in this news post, this is my opinion.

I think this begins to show how much parents must not communicate with their children. I mean, maybe not all of us are lucky enough, but my parents told me from when I was young that movies and music are all just made that way and aren't made to really influence anyone. From the beginning I've known the differences between reality and fiction. I think this goes to show you that people blame the first obvious choice, and instead of going for bands like Slipknot or such (no offense) that actually build up your hate and anger, they go for a band like Linkin Park--one of those bands that love their fans and would hate to lose them. Personally this struck me in a personal way, because I've been there, but not over that point. I mean, for someone to just take everything a singer or spokes person says so literal as to do it, is just plain ignorant. People in this world follow and never break themselves away from the 'poppy' leading materialistic industry, so they think whatever is on T.V. or radio is right.

I don't blame anyone for doing anything, but I do blame the parents. Take it from someone who's had this type of issue. I don't really have parents that are around much now days, but they did take the time out in the beginning of my life to teach me the differences. I think that society is failing to remember that even with the realism the media is bringing out, you cannot let those influence you. I mean, even now, you see certain people acting like something else just because of something you saw on T.V. or even heard on the radio. The media is feeding the youth negative things, and like I said, without parents bringing their children up with the knowledge of differences, they're taking those influences in and making it their reality. I see so many people in my school calling themselves 'playas' or 'pimps,' and I can only question how they were taught, because I was taught that being called those things were an insult or people weren't looking at you with high expectations.

Overall I honestly think that if a parent is going to blame the music their child listens to, then they should first take a step back and see if they could have prevented it. A lot of times in the current years, parents have neglected their children in reality basis and I think it's a shame. Now days we think having women and money means you are the absolute greatest, which is really not true. All the images being shown these days influences so many young people to go out and dress and or act that way, and without parents there to guide them--I think it's taking a toll on society. Bottom line, I think parents need to speak about influences from when they are children just so that a kid can go "Okay, that man just cut the other guys head off--Now do I want to do something like that and get arrested and possibly even get life?" not "Oh man! I'm going to copy that guy, kill a bunch of people and I can get away with it!" It's all just the media and parenting that caused this... I'm sure the girl doesn't only listen to Linkin Park, so if this parent blames only Linkin Park, then I find very, very ignorant and now I can see the flaws that parents these days are having on their children.

But, on the other hand. If the parent tried to teach her child the differences and she still ended up this way, then you know there was a problem beyond what was seen; maybe she was already depressed about something. I notice that sometimes a person can lose control of themselves when in a different state of mind and that does cause them to do things that they would not ordinarily do. Maybe if the website with the 'full article' was working for me, I'd be able to understand this a little more, but from what I see, it was either the girl must have had a problem from the start, or the parent(s) never really explained all the reality bullsh*t the media throws out at the youth of today.

edit: Remember that this is just MY OPINION ;).

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

"Cut myself free, willingly stop just what's killing me" means "I'm freeing myself from this, freeing myself from this pain that hurts me".

Oh, and welcome to the forums. :)

American Nothing

American Nothing Well-Known Member

Pssch. Thats bad. I hate it when parents blame bands for their child committing suicide. Or kids using songs as an example.

evil willow

evil willow Well-Known Member

i can understand her parents are going through a hard time right now. but what will it help is they blame it on LP? it wouldn't solve any problems and will that girl never do anything like that again? i don't think so. atleast, that's my opinion.
    for me LP is just the one that keeps me alive. if i listen to their music it gives me strenght and keeps me from hurting myself too bad.

(i'm new here because i was thinking a long time of becoming a member, untill now i just read all the things you guys posted. but now i really wanted to become a member :D)

Cal

Cal LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

they always do this, look what happened to slipknot a while ago, a guy went into a primary school and shot people, slipknot was blamed =/

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

But on the other hand, I can understand Slipknot, you know? I mean in some songs, they say stuff like, "If you touch me I will rip you apart," or "I'm going to kill anyone who steps up in front to of me!" The difference here is really that Linkin Park has never said "Go and kill yourself" in any manners. I think the real problem here is that people are misunderstanding the lyrics, seeing Linkin Park uses metaphores sometimes.

Not that I'm going agaisnt you :teehee:.

Also, there was another story that two kids killed or attacked another kid while listening to Slipknot on the very spot. I heard it a while ago, but still, there are differences, even though they all shouldn't be bothered with in the first place. It's just music, damnit. If you can't express yourself in music without someone taking their lives, how the hell do you express yourself in any other way?! :chemist:

crazy_caos

crazy_caos Well-Known Member

:argh: i think this story it's ridiculous, the lyrics of linkin park don't say anything about suicide, beside i think their music is for help people, and take somebody out of depression, i think the parents always are lookin' for other reason, without think that the can be the responsable of what it's going on
    :angry:

Jae

Jae Well-Known Member

The parents cant blame LP for their daughter cutting herself and taking pills. The should blame themselves because they should have been more involved in her life. People like them ruin the music for us..

Crazy.Desperate.Insane

Crazy.Desperate.Insane Well-Known Member

I've posted this in another forum so I just copied and pasted it...

People shouldn't blame rock music at all. These songs are just creative interpretations of the artists.. They have nothing to do with the murders and other forms of violence. These people shouldn't use these songs as their "inspiration" to have a full deliberation on the horrendous acts.

Rock music is deep. It talks about the negative emotions that people can't verbalize so much. It is hard to talk about these emotions becaause they are taboo. It's just hard to talk about. The goal of bands like LP is to help these people who experience pain heal. I have heard a lot of LP fans who have learned to love their music because LP was able to reach out to them through their lyrics saying that they are not alone and someone is also feeling the same they are feeling. That's why there is no reason for them to create such decision that would hurt themselves and others. I admire how these artists speak and scream these words out

Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

I'm very angered by this. I hate it when people say "the media this", "the media that", "the media made me do it". BS. I believe if you cut yourself, you're doing it out of your own free will. Parents shouldn't be blaming bands, such as, Linkin Park for the problem of self-harm. It's such an excuse to blame the media. :rolleyes:

erm... :chemist:

AcaliGuyinTX

AcaliGuyinTX Member

:lol: omg thats soo funny!!! who r they gunan blame for teens cuttin the, self and crap like that next?? john mayer??? dood these parents that understand todays teens and their "loud music" gotta chill out and really listen to them man

Mcnasty

Mcnasty Y2K

Its not LP's fault, its the parents, it always is :D OR SKOOL

hidden soul

hidden soul Active Member

who actually said that the girl blamed LP?

I thought it said the parents blamed LP...

I personally believe that if parents honestly do care about their kid(s), then they would talk to them constantly, and make 'em feel loved.

The less attention one gets, the less important that one feels...which brings upon clinical depression, then suicide if it's not helped w/. I'm feeling that way right now, but all well.

Mark

the article. :)

the parent blames them too.

hidden soul

hidden soul Active Member

the article. :)

the parent blames them too. [/b][/quote]
    I read the article, and read nothing about the girl saying:

"LP made me do this! I swear they did!"

I know the parents do, that's what the whole thing was about.

Mark

I read the article, and read nothing about the girl saying:

"LP made me do this! I swear they did!"

I know the parents do, that's what the whole thing was about. [/b][/quote]
    Coincidental how LP are blamed and her daughter says "these bands have an effect on youngsters". Maybe that includes LP. ;)

EmceeMaster

EmceeMaster Member

i've got it in black and white in a newspaper article...Breaking the habit is about overcoming bad habits that limit ones potential...and one step closer is about bottling up anger and bursting out all of it like said in the editorial. maybe the parents (mother especially) should look at why the daughter felt the need to go to such lengths...i mean instead of pointing the finger blankly, maybe she should look @ herself..
    how could LP write about or encourage suicide?!?!? that lady is so pompus and up herself!

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

guys, u can't just blame the parents because u dont really know the specifics of what happened. I agree that it isn't LP's fault but I dont know exactly what happened and past experiences this girl had. If you had this knowledge, then you can make any opinion u want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.