Folie à Deux

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Dean, Dec 8, 2008.

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

I love that part. Actually, I think Patricks voice is Fall Out Boys greatest strength.

Nick

Nick Great Job! LPA Super VIP

I love his voice, but I think we get it that he didn't do whatever he's talking about. :lol:

My all time favorite FOB song is still Yule Shoot Your Eye Out.

followed by Sugar, We're Goin Down tied with The Patron Saint Of Liars And Fakes

Christopher

Christopher Über Member Über Member

I'm just fed up that this band is so succesful and has toured, even here, twice every year since they released From Under The Cork Tree.

Even when they're last record was pretty much a flop compared to others and their live performances are weak, while other bands like Say Anything, who are in the same genre and also release poppier punk haven't seen the light of day in mainland Europe.

When I say generic I mean generic, this album doesn't compare in the slightest way to In Defense of the Genre (even as pop music) and they're getting praise for it none the less.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Is it just me or does the riff in I Don't Care sound a little too much like the riff in Personal Jesus by Depeche Mode?

lol maybe not too much.

Listen to Marilyn Manson's version of Personal Jesus though rather than Depeche Mode's because Manson's version has the over driven guitar rather than the acoustic one Depeche Mode has.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
    Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Eh, not really. It bares about as much resemblence to lots of songs from that time period, and if you took away the drums and the synthy sound the guitar has it would probably come closer to sounding like an old blues song, albeit within a very poppy structure.
    They actually come closer to copying Depeche Mode at other points on the album anyway, but I'm kind of over that happening within music after reading Paul Weller's biography.

Daniel

Daniel Run for your life. LPA Super Member

I really can't help but think that a lot of the cameos were made for Pete Wentz to go "ooooh, look who I know" rather than really add anything to the songs. Then again, I didn't really like Infinity on High, either. Give me FUCT or TTTYG over this any day.

Yeah, I'm a cliched FOB fan.

Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Brendan's also on the chorus of 27, isn't he?

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

No one provides guest vocals on "27," as far as Wikipedia knows. :lol:

Chris.

Wrong. I do. Someone must have edited Wikipedia. :p

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Touché. :lol:

I'll admit, I'll still probably buy this, since I own all their other albums. But I'll never listen to it as much as From Under the Cork Tree or even Infinity on High. Something's missing from it and I don't know what it is.

Chris.

More Cowbell. :p

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I think it's just how too many of the songs seem a bit half-arsed.

Samurai

Samurai Active Member

Is it good? Is it good? Is it good? Is it good? Is it good? Is it good? Is it good? Is it good?:D Should i buy it, please, tell me, is it worth it???^_^

Daniel

It's not like the entirety of the thread before you was discussing the album and how good/bad it was.

....oh wait.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Any songs that sound like XO? Cos that's the only FOB song I've ever liked lol.

Samurai

Samurai Active Member

Sorry, but i didn't even get the main idea of this thing...Could someone tell it to me??? :ermm:

Daniel

After listening to it a few more times, I've decided it's alright. I think it's better than Infinity on High, for sure, but it's still only decent. While I appreciate Patrick has a hell of a lot of range in his voice, his vocal gymnastics annoy me sometimes (there are a lot of instances where he really just needs to stick to one note per word). Some of the lyrics are really average as well, so I kind of miss the I'm-too-clever-for-my-own-good lyrics like on FUCT.

The biggest disappointment for me was the lack of any real "hooks". There aren't any stand out tracks for me, and there certainly aren't any Sixteen Candles that'll be stuck in your head for weeks. Bar maybe I Don't Care and (surprisingly, given it's the biggest "ballad" on the album), What A Catch, Donnie.

EDIT: Maybe a bit harsh, 73% . Because I'm precise and all.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008