syncing 2 itunes libraries

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by barnes80, Dec 26, 2008.

barnes80

barnes80 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know of a way that I could have all the same music on 2 computers on my network and have them and their details synced together?

I want to copy all my music over to my new laptop, but I know if i do that I will just have 2 different itunes libraries, and play counts and ratings really are important to me... I want to be able to sync their details together so that if i listen to a song on one computer, once it syncs my other computers play count will go up.

Sharing libraries will not serve this purpose unfortunately because it does not edit the play counts, or even let you view it in album cover mode....

any ideas?

ondiron

ondiron Well-Known Member

Ummm.... I know how to have your iPod synced with 2 different libraries, but not have two libraries synced together. The only thing I could think of is if you had a hard drive or something for your whole network you could have both of your iTunes pull its music from that hard drive. That way when it 'updates your library' it would put the songs w/ play counts/ratings on the network hard drive and both iTunes would get it? I don't know... it's just a theory.

Other than that I don't know. It would be expensive to buy another hard drive just for iTunes.

barnes80

barnes80 Well-Known Member

im actually not even sure if that would work because the playcounts and stuff are not stored in the actual mp3 cause if you move the mp3 to a new computer and play it it starts off fresh. Hmm, but perhaps there is a folder in the itunes folder that holds all of this information that i could share.

Thanks for the idea though.