Bring Me the Hairstraighteners

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Daniel, Feb 17, 2009.

Daniel

Daniel Run for your life. LPA Super Member

Yes, Oliver Sykes is a twat. Yes, their lyrics can be pretty bad. Yes, they're too br00t4L for their own good. Yes their fans are annoying as hell. And yes, deathcore is a stupid genre. :lol:

And yet I can't help but like them. After having hated them with a passion, a couple of years ago I strangely started liking them.

Discuss. But at least try to say something instead of ""zomg they have stupid hair" or "Oli Sykes is a douchebag", even if they may be true, lol.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
    barnes80

barnes80 Well-Known Member

lol you might consider actually putting the band's your discussing name! Not everyone here knows who Bring me the horizon is or would get your pun.

I personally hear great things about them and try to get into them but just can't I'm not a huge fan of straight up hardcore without actual vocals though.

LProx4life

LProx4life Well-Known Member

Oli is a douchebag...
    Lolz j/k
    Breakdowns BABY!!!!!

I can't believe i missed it myself :lol:

I wonder how many will criticize @_@

Daniel

Barnes: :lol: good point. Mods can change the title if need be. I used to be on a similar line to you, I could never get into them because of Oli's old vocals, but now I really like them. *shrugs*

A lot, I'd imagine. Not that I really mind, though. It'd be good to have a debate, anyway. They are (or were) something of a guilty pleasure for me.

Seinfeld

Seinfeld We are the nobodies LPA Super Member

Chelsea smile...Awesome song...favorite song by them.

They're pretty great, imo.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

I'm sitting here trying to avoid posting in this thread :p

But no. I'll be the first person to join the hate side of things :lol:

I can't understand why anyone would like them, because the main elements of deathcore are br00t4lness and Technicality. And seeing as there are bands within the genre that do these things much better, the only reason i can see is why they have so many fans is their... passion? That would explain the scenesters yeah? :p But i can't really find the passion either. So hence it must be their haircuts that win their core fan base over, and it spread from there. That's my guess.

Also, Oli is a douche.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

I don't know who these people are, but I've always enjoyed promotional photos where members of the band are freely advertising bands by wearing their t-shirts.

Case in point, Mr. Chubby Cheeks there wearing a Black Dahlia Murder t-shirt.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Are there any Deathcore bands that actually ARE good? I've been told to listen to The Red Chord, apparently they do somethings a little differently. I guess Between The Buried And Me go a little Deathcore at times.

Daniel

:lol: I actually had you in my mind when I created this thread.

I'll certainly agree with you, there are bands in the genre that do it better, but I still don't think they're a bad band. I'd even go so far as saying I really like (or at least liked, pre-Suicide Season) Oli's vocals.

I won't argue with you over whether Oli Sykes is a douche, since I agree with you, and besides, I'd like this thread to be more than just that.

Also, definitely check out The Red Chord. They're quite good. Not sure if Job For a Cowboy classify as deathcore?

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

I haven't heard them but have heard of them, thanks to you Daniel (don't feel loved btw :lol:), but I love the thread title Daniel. Makes me wanna check them out now. :lol:

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Daniel: :p

I think Job For A Cowboy's first EP was Deathcore but then they moved more towards Death Metal. I haven't listened to them too much, only snippets from when my friend connects his ipod to the speakers at band practice. Then we tell him to turn it off :lol:

Maybe i should give them a better listen.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

[​IMG]
    Me (left, fucking awful picture) with a few friends and Oli Sykes.

I didn't get along very well with him. He seems like a bit of a douche. At the party I was getting on well with people from various bands, taking photos and getting drinks etc. but he was just unwilling to interact with anyone. Then again I did say these exact words to him: "dude, your cover of eyeless is the worst thing I've ever listened to''. :lol:

To be honest though I havn't heard much by them but Chelsea Smile is a decent song.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

All Shall Perish are good.

I like Bring Me the Horizon, but I can't stand to listen to them for more than as long as it takes to get through one of their albums. They get annoying after a while.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Edit: Here I am talking about the bands looks when that's not what we're supposed to do, haha.

Daniel

Luke: That's pretty sweet. Nice job on the "Eyeless" comment. Sometimes the truth hurts, I guess. :lol:

Tim (and others): I suppose if people haven't got anything else to say, you can comment on their looks/Oli and such. If that's what's going to get more discussion in this thread, go for it.

Will: I can see where you're coming from. I used to barely be able to make it through one of their songs but now I can listen to Count Your Blessings in it's entirety. Personal opinion, I guess lol.

To Jordan and anyone else trying to figure out if there are actually any good deathcore bands, I also recommend Despised Icon.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I'm basically of the persuasion that they've gone from being not very good to being somewhat decent. They're not really to my current taste anyway. I probably would have liked them more a year or two back, when I was more into heavy and aggressive music.

I would post the video of Oli (pretend) fighting Sam Carter from Architects but now I can't find it. :(

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
    Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Eh, it was a stupid comment I made anyway, and not the least bit insightful. :lol:

I guess their image does make them easy targets for naysayers; but, musically speaking, there are certainly worse bands. Even though I dig the br00tal stuff, they're just not my cup o' tea.

Christopher

Christopher Über Member Über Member

I still can't believe Cancer Bats wants to be affiliated with these guys...

Daniel

I was almost waiting for you to see this thread, lol.

Dean: Yeah, I think they took it down after Sam kept receiving death threats from all the BMTH/Oli teenies. :lol:

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

I listened to The Red Chord, and although they did have a few pretty interesting things now and then, I didn't really like the Deathcore parts i guess. I will check out Despised Icon and All Shall Perish later, but I don't really have much faith in the genre at this point.

Off topic: I love your avatar Christopher, This Will Destroy You are awesome.