Universities and Colleges

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by aki*lp, Feb 25, 2009.

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

And Paul Keating got into that position because of his connections and who he knew. He had a lot of friends inside the party and worked his way up. It's not he was an average joe and dropped out of college and got elected.

Daniel

Daniel Run for your life. LPA Super Member

Yeah, you basically said what I said, only much better. :lol:

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

:lol: I wouldn't have known who it was without you pointing it out, so we're even. :p

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

Dammit, I was looking more towards Gough Whitlam :lol:
    I only want to do hairdressing, nothing special.

EDIT: Paul Keating is my lovechild, shortly followed by Kevin Rudd. I love him for the fact that he's arrogant and he's got some good speeches under his belt. And the fact, that he continued to piss John Howard off even when the Keating rule was over.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
    Daniel

Daniel Run for your life. LPA Super Member

In that case, yeah that would be more than fine. I wasn't having a go at you lol, I only resented the statement that university degrees are overrated.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

Don't worry about it :)

Theazninvasion68

Theazninvasion68 It's like blood to a vampire, our tragic desire. LPA Super VIP

I would assume TAFE would mean Trade Academy For Education of (subject/field)

No, College isn't for everyone. However, for a means to get paid, Going to college certainly encourages big monies.

aki*lp

aki*lp LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

:) I understand that, but some of the members (myself included) are not only looking at one country or one type of university to apply to. It'd be great to see how every region handles it's education system.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I love this thread. :) I started uni on Monday, it hasn't been the easiest ride so far but I'm getting the hang of it. Don't have much to tell, though.

Nikki

Nikki I have no idea what is going on LPA Super Member

haha, I'm feeling just as old as Todd.

I'm currently in my final year of my First Degree in English. Following this I intend on staying in to do my PGCE - this is a further one/two years of University where I will be doing my Teacher training.

People have already mentioned how important it is to research your University before heading there, so I'll skip that bit and just go over other important aspects:

It's fucking difficult.

Most people think of University and come up with the typical picture of all play and no work. Drink every night, turn up still half pissed to a seminar. No. It's not like that. Or if you are, then you're most likely to end up dropping out before the first year is over.

No. University is, or at least has been for me: a real stepping stone in my own way to adulthood. you realise eventually that drinking every night honestly does nothing but bad for you as you lose your grip on your studies. You learn that if you want to get anything in life done your way then you've got to work at it. Living in my own space (well...sort of own space, haha), having to properly budget my finances, work and try to study at the same time.. It's really really tough.

But it's totally worth it. The rest of that 'typical' picture is bang on. I've met such fantastic people while I've been here, including my other half of two years along with a whole variety of others. I also feel like I've truely grown up - but in a good way. The best thing about this, is that you can look at the person you were when you first started and look at the person you become.

I can't really describe it in a way to do it justice - all's I could say is that it is really worth it. Despite the financial hardship, the difficult work, the deadlines, the sicknesses (of which there are many, with everyone living so close)

If you're considering University: do it

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Hahaha. :lol:

I have to point this out, because I've got a friend who parties all the time and doesn't take college as seriously as you think he would, but he's managed to pass all his classes with good marks and is probably going to end up with his degree easily enough. It's funny, because he's the kind of kid I'd have expected to drop out, just because he's so chill about the whole college experience. But then again, I think that's how he's been able to manage: he doesn't take it seriously, or at least not as seriously as a lot of people seem to think it needs to be taken. I mean, yes, he studies and does all the right things, but he's not constantly stressing out about tests and things like that. It's really weird.

I'm sure he's a one-in-a-thousand case, though. Not everyone can do that.

Nikki

Nikki I have no idea what is going on LPA Super Member

I wish I could, I'll tell you that

He must be pretty well off in the pocket as well to be able to constantly buy booze and whatnot.

Git

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Ehh, I don't know how he acquires his alcohol, but he is pretty well off, for someone who's still in school. :lol:

I just wish I had his demeanor, I'd probably love school. But as it is, I hate it.

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

If I may go on a rant, I think that its annoying that the University system is slow to accept changes that are happening in particular with regards to new polytechnic institutions. I go to Humber College for their Music degree, which has been granted degree status, is one of the best schools in the country for music, and is much more rigorous than a many "BA"s. Yet it seems like some universities are going to balk at it. Unfortunately these people live in their own little academic world with little grounding in reality!

Christopher

Christopher Über Member Über Member

Education is the most important part of life.

High school, then college, then work is by far the most convenient/best way of getting educated.

Sadly, not everyone is given a fair chance at it.

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I agree that it is important but I wouldn't go that far.

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

Well, Christopher's statement begs the question "what is education?". If it means to have the curiosity and passion to learn new ideas and be more creative, then I would say it is the most important thing! But, as much as post-secondary schools are great sources of ideas and information, they only give you a few of the tools need to continue your "self-education". It's all about how you go about it!

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I absolutely agree with the sentence in bold. I was thinking about education meaning finishing your schools and universities. A university degree doesn't necessarily mean that you will do well in life and not finishing high school also doesn't mean that you won't.

So what I actually meant is, having your degrees and diplomas is always a plus, but being resourceful is the most important thing.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
    Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Technical And Further Education

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

If by education you just mean institutions such as school and college/uni and so on, you're probably right but I can't say I think that should be the case.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009