Jonas Brothers!

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Minus, Mar 31, 2009.

Messy Marj

Messy Marj LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Your opinion. Anyone who plays their own instruments is a musician.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

They play their own instruments, so they constitute musicians. Whether or not they write the music themselves is beyond the question.

I play guitar, piano, violin, viola, and cello. I have NEVER written music on my own, much less sold tickets to performances. Does that make me less of a musician than the Jonas Brothers?

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I'm pretty sure they're actually at the point where they write most of their own songs anyway, or at least they get the credit, with the occasional co-writer.

Minus

this.

just because you don't prescribe to their brand of music doesn't mean they're not musicians.

Christopher

Christopher Über Member Über Member

This is really an endless discussion. They're pop music, so by definition they're a band that appeals to a lot of people, but they don't make really complex music.

Liking them, or not, is personal.

But I think it's ridiculous to argue that everything anyone ever creates should be respected, because someone ever might like it... there's bad music out there too.

I'm getting sick of this attitude of not being able to criticize or point out bad things. That's very unhealthy, just like the opposite of criticizing everything.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

No one's said you can't criticise them or that you have to respect them.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

I think the reason why they are so hated is because how popular they've become on the scene. You wouldn't hate them if they couldn't play their own instruments and hardly on the scene. I personally don't like them a lot for that reason and for the fact that they don't appeal to me (music wise) as an audience member in general.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

See I don't consider myself a musician.
    I'm a guitarist.
    I don't write music (not really anyway), therefore I can't consider myself a musician.

That's just me though, in my opinion you need to write and understand music in order to be a musician.

Minus

I believe the term musician to be a general term for anyone who performs music. Hence music-ian. From there you just get more specific. What kind of musician is he/she? Oh, he/she is a pianist. And so on.

If you write music, you're a songwriter/composer. Just because you write music doesn't mean you're a musician. Some composers and songwriters never even played instruments before. Take a look at Tin Pan Alley songwriters.

That's how I see it anyways.

Harlz

Ok that's valid, you're probably right there.

Ok let me put it this way:
    I can't respect them because they aren't songwriters, and they clearly aren't particularly talented at playing even their own instruments.

But I'm not saying people can't like them or listen to them or whatever, this is purely my opinion and I don't want anyone getting offended by it.

Minus

Oh I know you don't mean to offend. I'm just wondering why people seem to just be mad that the Jonas Brothers don't write their owns songs, when some stars have never written a song on their own and seem to be praised.

Harlz

A lot of people just don't realise how many of those older, 'classic' songs weren't written by the artist.

And I guess JBs just have a lot of fans who are about 13-14 who go around proclaiming that they're the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel. That gets a lot of people started on how they really aren't... lol

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

I dunno, the second last post on the second page was pretty harsh.

So if someone played a rented or hired instrument they didn't own, they wouldn't be a musician? :p

What you said is true though. Good musicians are the ones i care about though.

Minus

You know what she means. SRSLY.

And I mean this with no malice in tone at all, but if good musicians are the ones you care about, and you do not count the Jonas Brothers in this range of caring, why are you in this thread?

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

I did know what she meant. Hence the :p.

And I come to this thread because i like to talk and discuss things. Usually I don't come to threads for band's that don't interest me at all, but my disliking for Jonas Brothers goes beyond non-interest. So I come to this thread to see the other side of things, and see why people that I do respect and aren't twelve year old girls like them.

And then when you and others (were there others? I don't remember) stated why you liked them, i completely disagreed and stated my own opinion. And that's it.

Ophelia

Ophelia LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

Music is just one of those things, no one is ever going to agree on it as a whole. Everyone has differences of opinion, and what one person loves the next person is going to hate.

Lets just agree to disagree and be done with it.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Meh, a little debate can be much more interesting than just discussing things you like. And as we all know, no one on the interweb changes their opinion. So it's all harmless and fine if you ask me.

vasiab

vasiab Banned

Actually I can't stand their music..maybe too pop for me [and a bit irritating, too].
    :whistling imo they should do something else...[NOT music]

Christopher

Christopher Über Member Über Member

You're only allowed to praise the band, debating is no fun, you might just learn something from it, and who'd want that, not me.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Yeah pretty much.