C: drive "Dirty"?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by B7rent, Apr 21, 2009.

B7rent

B7rent Guest

My computer this week, twice now, has been coming up with this little notification thing the past 2 times I've booted up and said your C: drive is "Dirty" and runs checkdisc to I guess fix the problem.... should I be worried and/or what should I do to fix it?

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Doing a defrag would probably help.

lpboarder

lpboarder Well-Known Member

Be sure to back up your important data too.

DHopper

DHopper Well-Known Member

Backing up your data is important as lpboarder said.

Hard drives eventually die. They have moving parts which is why solid-state drives are so amazing. How long have you had your computer?

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Solid state drives have a limited number of read/write cycles too. It's a huge number, but they'll eventually die as well.

And FWIW, any electronic device, moving parts or not, can just suddenly crap out, so please don't get the idea that if you have an SSD, you'll never lose your data.

DHopper

DHopper Well-Known Member

I totally agree with you Todd. I didn't mean to imply anything else other than solid-state is a nice improvement.

Speaking of read/write cycles, it sounds like you're a CompE or something of the sort. If so, that's awesome. I'm in my senior year for CompE.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Nope, I was Information Sciences with a bit of Comp Sci on the side. I would've gone for the full Comp Sci major but the calculus was kicking my ass.

Now I'm a software engineer for a major company and the most complicated math I've had to use so far is addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. I've never used the advanced math once. :rolleyes:

SSDs are awesome though. I'm thinking about replacing the hard drive in my Macbook with one, I'm just waiting for prices to drop.

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

That'd be me; I'm the one who's doing the BCS degree here. :) The thing I love about my school is that I have no mandatory requirements that aren't CS courses (besides 2 english courses). I just took some math courses for the hell of filling electives [although, calc 2 kicked my ass, but I apparently beat linear algebra].

As for the dirty drive: soap and water. Always gives dirt a run for it's money, and it'll be nice and shiny when it's clean! :D

lpboarder

lpboarder Well-Known Member

What's funny is that Intel, one of my customers, launched them in Dec/Jan I think and even their employees that I talk to about it are waiting for the same reason. I guess even their employee discount isnt enough. :lol:

jakedean

jakedean New Member

The best way is to just let it run. and when youre done running through and it still continues on startup open command prompt
    type: CHKntfs /X C: press enter

[​IMG]
    and then choose repair.. thats what i idid hope itll work on you

B7rent

B7rent Guest

A lil over 2 years