Coheed and Cambria- The Year of the Black Rainbow

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by The Doctor, Feb 2, 2010.

The Doctor

The Doctor I wear a fez now. Fez's are cool. LPA Super Member

From Coheedandcambria.com:

Year of the Black Rainbow
    provides the long awaited prequel to the four previous albums

Year of the Black Rainbow will be released in both a standard format and a deluxe edition.

Deluxe edition includes:
    * 352-page Year of the Black Rainbow novel, penned by Claudio Sanchez and author Peter David
    * "Making of" DVD featuring studio and interview footage
    * Coheed and Cambria "Black Card." Black Card Cardholders will be eligible for early entrance to selected shows, discounts on band merchandise and exclusive downloads and offers.

Make sure to keep checking back for updated pre-order information, coming later this week.

Track listing for Year of the Black Rainbow is:
    1. One
    2. The Broken
    3. Guns of Summer
    4. Here We Are Juggernaut
    5. Far
    6. The Shattered Symphony
    7. World of Lines
    8. Made Out of Nothing
    9. Pearl of the Stars
    10. In the Flame of Error
    11. When Skeletons Live
    12. The Black Rainbow

Official Release below:
    COHEED AND CAMBRIA
    YEAR OF THE BLACK RAINBOW
    FIFTH ALBUM OUT APRIL 13—PRE-SALE TO BEGIN THIS WEEK AT http://www.coheedandcambria.com

barnes80

barnes80 Well-Known Member

I'm expecting this to be one of the best albums of the year. Their music always leaves me satisfied.

As I've said before, I am really disappointed that they didn't include the number 1 into this since that is what it seemed like they were doing... but its a minor complaint.

What I am interested in though, is the style of the music. I feel like each album has kind of grown on the previous ones, incorporating the old sound but at the same time mixing in a little of something new, which makes sense considering each album was in order of a story, but if that trend were to stick, they would have to go back to the original sound of their first album... I would love to seem them try that out but I think it'd be hard to ignore the influence of all the new music they've made since... really excited.

Edit:
    Also I notice that the tracks do not include at Part songs. Their latest 3 albums all had multiple part songs, but their first didn't which I guess makes sense then why this wouldn't?

Nick

Nick Great Job! LPA Super VIP

I love Coheed. Claudio Sanchez is a rock genius in my opinion. He really knows how to make great flowing albums. Both Good Apollo's flow so great. And I expect this to be amazing.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

The first song is called "One." That's a good enough reference for me. No World For Tomorrow didn't have a number reference in the album title either (although you could argue that it doesn't need one since it's technically Good Apollo Volume 2).

None of their albums really included "multiple part songs" either, they just had songs that were part of suites under a title...Al the Killer and Faint of Hearts are 2 different songs, they just happen to be part of the "Camper Velourium" suite in the storyline.

I kind of doubt they'll go back to the Second Stage-era sound, just because so much has changed about them since then. But they may surprise everybody and go back to a more stripped-down style of production.

The Doctor

If you go to their main site, they have a video that features Claudio talking, and at the end a really badass sounding Riff which I think is going to be on YOBR.

Nick

I hope when the pre-order starts they release a song with it.

SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

In my opinion they suffer from the same thing Chiodos did
    Good lyrics, great music but vocally falls flat on it's face
    I don't like highpitched vocals. IMO

barnes80

barnes80 Well-Known Member

Its funny you say that though because I really like both of these bands because of the unique vocals. But I totally understand your issue with it, a lot of people don't like the high pitched vocals.

Nick

Yeah, Circa gets the same thing. I HATE Craig Owens though. I hate his voice. I love Anthony and Claudio though.

Rather Red

Rather Red Well-Known Member

I'm happy that this comes out right before Coachella :)

Astat

I don't know to what (if any) extent he's involved in the writing process, but last I heard, Wes Styles (Coheed's touring keyboard player since '07) was working with them in the studio on this album. He's an immensely talented guy, I'm quite intrigued as to what he could add to the band.

SecondCityKids

Yeah but I loved Anthony's vocals while he was in Saosin.Then he got really up there in pitch. But his vocals are probably the one I dislike the least out of the three

Nick

Actually... that isn't his fault. I talk to Circa's drummer every now and then on AIM and he was telling me how Brian McTernan who produced the first 2 albums MADE Anthony stay that high, kept him in the "pretty area." They even had to change the key of their songs to fit the vocals. Listen to Anthony on TSOAF and his Solo album. His range varies, and live. So the next Circa album will show his true range and probably blow the previous 2 albums away. From what i've heard.

That's why i'm so damn excited for it.

Hellions

Hellions Banned

As for the no use of the number one in the title, when has a movie ever come out with a one in the tile? "Jurassic Park 1", "Jaws 1", "Driving Ms Daisy 1". With this being the first of the story, I think they're treating it like a first album in that respect.

As for no series, Second Stage didn't have a series in it either, and all the series' in albums after served their own purpose-

The Velourium Camper- Introduced the "Al The Killer" character.
    The Willing Well- Described the Writer's journey into his own story.
    The End Complete- Detailed the end of the story.

What with this being the beginning of the story, there probably won't be any really new characters that will need an introduction, and there won't be anything as dramatic on a scale like the latter two.

One thing I'm hoping for is the return of a hidden track, as well as returning to some of the transitions in Second Stage and Secrets. I wasn't really into the proggy stuff in between Apollo songs. I think a hidden track would be a good way to create a bridge between the prequel and the rest of the story.

Nobody Can Shave Me Now

Nobody Can Shave Me Now Formerly known as Ron Jeremy LPA VIP

I seen them live in San Jose, CA when they opened for A7X and they were terrible. I dont mind their studio albums but when they opened a lot of people just got up and went to the concession stand.

SecondCityKids

Thats the problem right there.....you went to an A7X show :lol:
    agh I can't stand them. anywho. I'm try to give Coheed a few more listens
    see if I like it at all

Hellions

Hellions Banned

They're a band that's very in tune with the crowd. If you like the band, you'll be a high energy crowd, but it works both ways. If the crowd hates them from the get go (Which is basically what happened through that entire tour) they have a poor performance. I've seen Coheed headline and I've seen them on the Slipknot tour. The Slipknot show was actually a far better performance and I think that was because Claudio was really feeding off the fact that such an unlikely crowd loved them. I never saw people mosh to Coheed before that show but nearly every song got a pit going. In a mixed tour like that it must do a lot of good to be so well received for once.

The Doctor

They are very impressive live, just give a listen to the Neverender albums.

Tom1191

Tom1191 The Frozen Creek

Astat

Already confirmed that the first single (The Broken) comes out tomorrow, digital pre-orders for it have been available for about a week.