Linkin Park...Gothic?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by brownvision03, Nov 4, 2003.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Exactly.

There are a few people at my school who are Gothic and people know that they are Gothic, but they don't wear all black all the time. Sometimes, they come in one day looking like a prep, and the next day they'll look like death.

Dressing all black doesn't mean you're Gothic. And Gothic people don't dress in all black all the time. Some people need to understand that there's more to being Gothic than dressing in all-black clothing. If the rest of you can't appreciate Gothic people or their views, then don't bother posting in this thread.

[Edit:] And, getting back to the point of the thread: No, I do not feel that Linkin Park is Gothic at all. Until the day that Linkin Park states that they are indeed Gothic and that their music is Gothic, I will stand by the fact that they aren't. Linkin Park isn't Gothic and Linkin Park themselves are not Gothic. Just because the "Numb" video actually portrays a storyline and just because Linkin Park has been using an Olde English font does not prove a thing. It does not prove they're Gothic at all.

kobrakai

kobrakai Ambient

Indeed.

I guess you could say that I'm into the whole "metal" scene, I wear chains and paint my nails black and such.
    I go to school some days wearing all black, and people say things behind my back like "Is she trying to be Gothic?"
    The next day I won't wear any black at all, and I hear "She's not trying to be Gothic anymore?"

The ignorance of people at my school just makes me sick.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

It's people like brownvision which prove to me that the world can be a horrible place. It's a shame I couldn't have said how I felt before he was gone, as I have gone through a lot in my lifetime, and his ignorance only helped to re-ignite that flame I had bottled up inside for so long. The flame of anger towards ignorance in the world..

Bryan

Bryan Guest

What is the gothic lifestyle?

In my school the gothic kids talk about eating people's organs and eating fetus's. :wth:

Ander

Ander LPA VIP LPA Super VIP

that smilie is perfect :D
    i think they just do that to creep people out.

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

Dude, man... There are even 'non-gothic' people out there who have fetishes of disgusting things... and they dress like any other 'normal' person around. But even though they talk about it, have they done it? I highly doubt it. The only case of canniblism to the public that I know of is a man ate a baby, but that's going off subject.

Look at it this way. Let's say you encounter a 'gothic' person who enjoys dining on such... things. What if he came out and said "In my school, there are kids who like to ride bikes." It's a bit offensive seeing it's something you like to do, yet someone's questioning it, right? In the eye of every individual, there are differences, and maybe you're just not seeing the same things these people are seeing, but it doesn't mean it's wrong. Although in some cases, it is totally wrong to begin with, but for some reason, the person believes for it to be something they enjoy or find some type of comfort/bliss in.

Like superxero88 said, maybe they do it to freak you out, and by you believing it, you make them feel better. It's just like how people put other people down--just to make themselves feel better. Knowing this lifestyle, since you cannot win by trying to be normal, you can be off the wall, and knowing people will fear you for that, gives you an extra boost of any self-esteem. You have to remember that majority of kids who are put or are in this group of people are not always the way they are. In school I'm anti-social and quiet and everything, but at home you just can't shut me up. But it wasn't my choice in school, because people began to shun me out just by my appearance. I think as you read this, you can see I don't disrespect people or act like an ass (most of the time), and this is how I'd behave to anyone, but the constant stereo-typing that these people (who don't understand) do is what destroys the person's either social life or just overall emotion. I know for a fact that the way people have judged me has had me lose a lot of social skills, because now, I can't even work with partners in school or I get pissed off.

Basically I'm trying to say is don't let your assumptions and judgements get the best of you, because you might just be putting down a great person. Even if you hate Marilyn Manson, the man is a smart, mature man and even though his art/music is 'unique', it seems to sell and people love it... Well, maybe not everyone. The problem in this world is understanding, and the more we choose not to understand others, the more we contribute to the human's self destruction because being judgemental is being prejeduce, and being prejeduce becomes discrimination, eventually, in where one person is hurt for the judgings of others.

Er, excuse any typos, it's 7:30am, and I'm in a rush so I get to school on time and it's too damn early (I'll edit all the typos and such later).

Ander

Ander LPA VIP LPA Super VIP

heh, me too. ^_^

withnoapologies

withnoapologies Well-Known Member

ok, i don't know where this was said in this thread, but im to lazy to quote it(nor am i sure who said it). but it said something like not everyone has a horrible life, and not everyone are preps either, so i think the message was that showing cuts in a girls wrists in a music video is not necessary to make people feel better, and that linkin park should not write lyrics that are an escape to people with bad lives, because not everyone goes through it. but they should write about "good stuff" (the media portrayed world) ok, im not sure if this makes sense.... but i'll go on. linkin park writes for people that are hurt emotionally everyday, who dont feel important, that are excluded, and for "preps"(excuse me as i generalize) you have J LO and Britany Spears to sing about how their next door neighbor wants to "get with them" ... and i am unsure about goths, i dont mean that im afraid of them, i just dont understand what they think and how they act, cuz no one in my school, or anywhere else for that matter is goth where i live. i have non experiences with them. but i know a bit about marilyn manson. i know that he is extremely smart and is greatly informed in topics around the world, personally, i like him(i dont mean his music, but his personallity.) o and about the topic of this thread, in no way is linkin park goth.

Taylor Hewitt

Taylor Hewitt Well-Known Member

I noticed that to. I don't think they are gothic, maybe dark but no gothic.

And if they are dark it isnt REALLY dark. :D

Bryan

Bryan Guest

Keaton - I wasn't saying that's what gothic people do. I first asked what is the "gothic lifestyle" because everyone keeps talking about it..well I wanna know what is it?

I then said in my school the gothic kids talk about eating fetus's...that was also my way of asking is that part of the "gothic lifestyle"?

Anya

Anya Lost LPA Super VIP

No no they're definently not gothic lol. Yeah their sound has gotten heavier but that has nothing to do with being gothic at all.

Will

There are sites on the internet that tell you about the Gothic lifestyle.

But, I'm pretty sure you don't "eat fetuses" if you're Gothic. I never heard that before.

Anthony.

Anthony. .Orestes LPA Super VIP

I don't know why everyone has to put a tag of everything... People are what they are, who they choose to be, and that's how it is.

LornVourkolakas

LornVourkolakas About To Blow Chunks

Gothic kids in your school are people I wouldn't want to meet. I don't know anyone Gothic people. Or maybe I do but don't know thats the lifestyle they live. And as far as Linkin Park being Gothic.... I don't think so. But thats really up to them, don't you think?

Will

Gothic people are awesome. They're not scary at all. It's the people who like to stereotype groups of people that make Gothic people seem scary when they're not.

I have a few Gothic friends and they're the most down-to-earth people that I know. They're really awesome people.

Kæton

You know, sometimes I think life likes to point me in directions. Around the same time this thread was made, I read an article on the 'gothic lifestyle' and what it's become.

Basically, the article states, if you don't know bands like Alien Sex, you're not gothic, you're a poseur. I'm glad they said this because hey, I minus well be a poseur than an actual thing. Kids today think that if they're 'depressed', 'sad', 'hate their lives', they're 'goth' when in reality, they're just depressed, sad and hate their lives.

"Goth" was a term introduced in the 90s (I think) to justify a new type of punk rock. These punk rockers had a mind of their own and decided to divide themselves from the rock-punk and metal (at the time). A British reporter used that word to describe them. They were a 'new' type of punk rock that consisted of anger, anguish and problems you don't usually sing about in songs. The 'gothic' lifestyle is what people would call Marilyn Manson now days, where actually, Manson is no where near it. Marilyn Manson is an Anti-Christ, which means he may have been an athiest, who know, and who cares... I can see in the beginning he may have given off that feel, but now he's not so much that type of person. But more on subject, the article explained Bryan's question. Being a 'goth' is not only a lifestyle, it's a way to express yourself. "Goth" people are free-minded, and don't follow the crowd. They disattach themselves from people they don't like, which brings the 'goths' a lot more closer than those who 'follow the crowd'. They break away from the crowd because they don't think the way the others do, and with that, they have their music of pain, anguish and suffering. AFI and Interpol are two examples given about 'goth' music, and if this is true, then that's great. Take AFI's work, and place it next to Linkin Park's. Does it at all sound the same? I'll leave that to you to decide.

You cannot judge a 'lifestyle' because every one sees things different. I mean, no offense, but what is the 'lifestyle' of a biker? Is a biker's life just riding around looking for stuff to jump off of and stuff? It's really like that in a sense. Also, if you're asking if eating fetus are 'goth'-like, then I guess Fillipinos are goth, because they eat Baloke (sp). Baloke is the chicken's fetus not hatched (fully grown). So again, you decide what you want, but overall, views will always be different. I'm not doing this to preach what I believe, I do this because this is the exact same bullshit I put up with in school, and so I will make my voice be heard about an issue like this, only because it's issues like this the media, press, and people go to first.

Take the Columbine shooting. They blamed gothic-like religion, blamed the music, and blamed the clothes. When in the hell did your clothes mean that you're going to go and shoot up your school? Personally, I think it was the student's faults for not realizing those kids had feelings.

I'm really tired and I can't get into this discussion right now, but I hope I made some progress.

Oh yeah, Interpol's bassist said the goth girls back then looked 'hot' :lol:.

Also, note that just because you fit the description the article gives off as 'goth', it doesn't make you one. Take it from me, I may have the attributes of one, but I certainly don't act like one.

LornVourkolakas

LornVourkolakas About To Blow Chunks

No no I meant the ones Bryan mentioned. The fetus eating ones... Thats scary. I'm sure real Gothic people are awesome. For I have been interested in studying more on it but have been too lay to. But fetus eating people are the type I wouldn't want to meet.

Will

I think those people are just whackoes, not Gothic. :lol:

Kæton

I guess you wouldn't like to meet Fillipinos then, huh?

It's become a custom in the Fillipines to eat this dish, supposedly it's good, but it doesn't look good to me :wth:.

Out there, somewhere in some exotic land, you'd be surprised as to what people eat custom or no custom, you just gotta' respect it.

edit: And yes, I do know some people who eat Baloke.

Anya

Anya Lost LPA Super VIP

I'm so tired of labels.....they're just something made up to diminish people's self esteem, or at least that's what it seems like. People keep on complaining about the preps and the geeks and the punks and how punks aren't punks if they SAY their punks or they have to listen to a certain type of music to be this 'certain' label. I don't get it.....what's the point??? :wth: