A Thousand Suns 6 Track Sampler Review

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

1. Last time I checked, going platinum and above is HIGHLY successful.
    2. LP has already said that they are not going back to their old sound.
    3. Please do not judge a sound before you hear it. It kinda goes under the "Don't judge a book by it's cover" saying. So until you have heard it, you should probably hold your judgement until then.

2. esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

I'm excited!

That said, I'm a little annoyed with everyone who jumps to say "Don't judge it until you hear it!" in response to any negative reactions, when the same people have no issues to exclaiming their positive reactions to the same news. The point of posting this news on a forum I assume is to discuss it, so there should be no "No negative thoughts allowed" policy.

3. Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

esaul17 Today, 10:27 PM

You took the words right out of my mouth. I 100% agree. There appears to be some sort of double standard among a lot of the Linkin Park fan-base. However, it still really urks me when there are those who are so adamant that Linkin Park revert to their old sound. It's okay if they don't like the new direction but to keep complaining about something that you know is not going to happen no matter how loud you chant your disapproval: well, it's annoying to say the least.

You can want them to not go in the direction they are going in but please don't expect them to go back to the Meteora days.

Really if Linkin Park decided to do that it would be selling out to themselves as musicians. Also it'd be like they were screaming "Hey look guys, we're relevant!" while holding up a 1998 propaganda poster.

What I'm trying to say is it's okay to be disappointed and it's okay to express yourself with those opinions but any hope that anyone has of them going back to their old style is going to be fruitless. And you're just going to be letting yourself down more in the end if you continue to think they're gonna change.

4. Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

must... keep..... expectations low .. and not specific....

must... not..... get... .excited.

crap, I'm excited. the more im excited the slower the clock moves.
    And I'm not trying to ruin the CD with some specific way I want it to sound.

5. esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

Agreed. I mean, if you like their old sound that is fine, but they have been clear they aren't going back to it so whinging on every news post that touches on that fact just makes you look rather out of the loop.

6. Vic

Vic No game no life

Exactly, I like the new LP, The new songs, sound, and direction. That's what makes them so special among all artists, they like changes and I completely understand it. It's just a matter of growing up.

7. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

and with THAT said, sometimes I want to hear a fuckin chorus...I also want to hear at least 4 songs with rapping in it. I'm not really excited , but I'm definitely looking forward to this.

8. Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

That double standard is there because there's a double standard between optimism and pessimism. And really I don't see a problem with that. People like to hope for the best, and if it isn't sounding right then try and hold out until you have enough info to judge for sure, then you can lay down a strong, healthy, constructive criticism of it. People can give up early on it if they want, but an argument coming out of weighing only conjectures rather than fully formed opinions is time wasting and pointless.

Not to mention there's a difference in trying to guess what it would sound like (which seems to be the bulk of this thread) and making a judgment on it.
    Also, that a little optimism increases the length of your life a bit.

9. SickOfTheTension

SickOfTheTension Member

I hope the other 6 "big rock songs" are not like the hard DBS type stuff. I loved Out of Ashes, but I think it is kind of weird if they split half this into experimental and the other into kind of big rock/mainstream/radio stuff. I hope this "press officer of WEA" is kind of overstating the "big rock" sound with a guitar focus. Maybe just compared to the first 6 the last 6 seem to be this?

Yes.
    I remember Mike comparing M2M with The Smashing Pumpkins, and how they changed their "style" multiple times and fans took it bad.
    I think it is interesting to see how many fans of both bands responded negatively the first time (Smashing Pumpkins' Adore & LP's M2M) the sound changed. Also interesting how both Adore and M2M seemed to grow on people (well some people). Also both stated how future albums won't be the conventional (Hybrid Theory/Meteora for LP & Siamese Dream/Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness for SP) sound/style. Fans still were/are caught in the past sometimes.
    Okay end of comparing/rant the two bands.

It is nice to see how now many fans are more excepting of letting a band being artistic and do what they want. Well that is from the excitement responses although you guys haven't heard a song yet...

I like a lot of music styles depending on the over all band (Vocals/Lyrics/Instrumentals), which I know LP is already good at. So I am excited for this album.

10. esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

I think saying "This sounds like what I was hoping for!" and "This doesn't sound like what I was hoping for" should be equally valid thoughts to express if you honestly feel them/.

11. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

He just meant the other 6 songs have quite a bit more guitar than the 6 demos that WEA has been carrying around. This doesn't mean the guitar driven songs are mainstream...but that they're noticeably more guitar influenced than the first 6 songs. This could mean anything. It could mean metal...alt rock...or an experimental pink floyd type sound with lots of guitar licks/solos. It could be even be an error in translation. "Guitar Driven" doesn't have to mean mainstream rock...or even rock at all. The guitar may just be more predominant on the latter tracks.

Welcome to LPA btw. :)

12. SickOfTheTension

SickOfTheTension Member

Well it did say "big rock". I wasn't sure what that exactly means of if the translation was iffy. Anyways, I said hope.
    The guitar focus part I'm fine with, but that just makes me think more of a mainstream rock sound. Idk, just kind of assumed with that.

And thanks for the welcome, I hope my first post wasn't to bad of a rant...

13. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Nah it was a normal rant.

I agree btw, I don't want DBS on this album. I want something new. So as long as the "big rock" songs, are big in the sense of their power/creativity...I'm all for that shit! :lol:

14. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Where did it say "big rock" songs? I thought all it said was "guitar focused"...but Chester did let everybody know that ATS has more hip-hop than metal elements. If it still doesn't have alot of Mike rapping, I want some dope ass beats

15. cradle

cradle Foreword LPA VIP

LP never sticks to the same shit, i thnk we'll like it, BTH was a totally diff song, so Pinch of salt and i'm game, wrd

16. PFortyy

PFortyy Banned

Lol, of course it won't be anything like DBS.

17. ALivingGrudge

ALivingGrudge We are saints made of plaster.

It won't be DBS because DBS sounds like shit, and that's why that material has never made it on anything Linkin Park related.

Just sayin'

18. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

DBS sounded like shit? Come on. Atleast elaborate on why you thought it was shit. Walking In Circles could've been a Linkin Park song with a few adjustments imo.

Putting that aside..

Reading this review has gotten me really, really intrigued now. I gave Melissa Auf Der Maur's - The Great Secret a listen, and if The finale of 'The Catalyst' sounds anything remotely close to that as the review stated, I'm all for it.

What a dilemma; on one hand, I'm absolutely dreading to start my semester in college in Sept, but at the same time LP:ATS will be right around the corner.

19. ALivingGrudge

ALivingGrudge We are saints made of plaster.

The only people who like DBS are hardcore Linkin Park fans.

I think that speaks volumes.

20. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

That's an absolutely asinine statement. Do you have any solid statistics to actually prove something like that? Does that mean enthusiasts of Fort Minor are hardcore Linkin Park fans only as well?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.