iTunes The Catalyst Preview

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Everyone, please just stop arguing. This is a good time to be a Linkin Park fan, regardless of whether you're feeling the new song or not. A new album is out soon, judge the new material when you've heard it in full. But please, present your opinions in a polite and respectful way. The staff and I are loving how much this place has boomed with new members recently, we'd love it if we could continue to present the LPA as the welcoming place that is through this very busy time. :)

2. crazygolfer

crazygolfer Well-Known Member

I'm definately gonna wait for the download, I wanna hear it in perfect quality w/my earphones :)

3. Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

I just wanted to listen to Chester's interview....that's why I think I'm going to listen to The catalyst on the radio.

4. spraypaintnink

spraypaintnink Banned

Thats cool, I do as well.

5. Robot Man

Robot Man Well-Known Member

Like Chester says, "It's harder starting over, than never to have changed."

6. clay-end

clay-end Well-Known Member

same here.....some of my fav songs are by Lacrimas Profundere,dark tranquility,Eminem,Iron Maiden,Bryan Admas,Celiene dion,Cradle of filth,Lady Gaga,Owl city,P.O.D,Sky sailing etc and of course LP's my Favourite band :D

7. punkkidskater

punkkidskater Why So Shinoda?

qft. best post of all.

8. Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

In Between is infinitely worse in that department.

...you'd be making a killing off of people speaking the truth?

And lol @ you using the term "proponent" like you're comparing being a fan of LP circa 2007-present to supporting terrorist groups or the Arizona immigration law or something of that nature.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2010
  9. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

That's debatable.

10. Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

If we're looking for monotonous songs, please refer to Tenacious D's "One Note Song."

You're welcome.

11. Vic

Vic No game no life

Derek you're my hero, I can't believe that sucker is still trolling u.u, if only Mike could answer him... He will be double OWNED.

12. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

We get it now.

13. 4_my_head

4_my_head I'm losing what I don't deserve

Omg.

14. PFortyy

PFortyy Banned

I don't think this song will sound too great LIVE! 'Tis very catchy though lol

15. Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I want to say something.

People have been complaining about how repetitive the lyrics are, and I know some people have said it already, but first we must remember that there are most likely lyrics that have not been released. What you see in the MOH trailer is what the band threw together just for the trailer, and by no means is the song in its entirety.

Also, even if it is repetitive, I think that's a neat concept. Sometimes repetition of lyrics is sort of an art form. Some of the greatest bands do that. Look at Radiohead, for example. Have you ever listened to "Everything In It's Right Place?" Sure, it's a much different song musically but the lyrical concept is rather the same and many people consider it to be a great song. Linkin Park might be implementing the same concept with The Catalyst, and I don't think it's fair for everyone to jump on it saying there's no lyrical creativity. Sometimes, that's the point, and it's one of those things that can really be appreciated if you're not one of those people who thinks that only different lyrics = great song.

There's also the idea that the vocals should just be considered to be part of the music. They're another instrument, I feel, that aren't meant to be slapped on to the top of other instruments, but to blend in and complement them. If you look at it that way, you'll see what I've said before: There is a depth in this sound that has not been heard before (and there is no one here who can disagree with that, nothing on Minutes to Midnight was this deep in sound, not even Little Things Give you Away). The electronic sounds do such a great job of filling up the space that Linkin Park sometimes leaves. I think it's a step in the right direction, whether or not you're a fan of what you've heard so far.

Sometimes you need to have a big picture point of view. Some of you guys are so analytical that you ruin the song for yourself. Just sit down and listen to it without trying to be picky, and maybe you'll find that it's a lot better than you give it credit for.

16. TOVhumanoid

TOVhumanoid Well-Known Member

I agree with you, Louis. I don't know if your idea is what LP were going for, but it's a cool idea anyway.

At first, I didn't like the preview of "The Catalyst" in the context of the trailer, but when I listen to parts of it alone, I like it more. I think the fact that they chose to be the first single on the album, let alone an actual LP song, is amazing. The thing I don't like about this song is the effect on Chester's voice... it sounds like too much. With Mike's voice, it adds a cool effect to the song, but with Chester it seems redundant. But that's my opinion, and maybe it will change tomorrow, when the single comes out.

This song has a lot of energy for being so minimal. There aren't that many melodies on top of each other, yet it sounds like it gets bigger and bigger every second. The ending is incredible.

I'm just glad LP are still making music for us today, and are being so grateful towards their fans. Not trying to make myself look better than anyone - but maybe more people should appreciate what LP does for us, as they treat us with the same respect as they did when they were called Hybrid Theory. Too much complaining for everything they do for the fans, I think : /

17. Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Just nit-picking: I get what you were trying to say. Perhaps "redundant" would have been the better word, since many people take "monotonous" (or "monotone") to be a reference to the pitch of a sound, and not a reference to repetition. That's why a few people have piped up about it. :)

I don't think there's going to be any new lyrics, but I could be wrong. I'm just afraid that if the trailer is any indication (and perhaps it isn't!) that this song may get old quickly, kind of like a Bleed It Out Syndrome.

18. Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

I've read a lot of opinions about this song from you guys here, and I'll admit I did listen to the first few previews myself. However, after the one-minute long teaser we got with the MoH trailer I decided to stop listening to them because I didn't want to spoil it anymore than I already had (which wasn't that much to be honest). Now I feel like I can listen to it with fresh ears, and I suggest that's what all of you do as well. Why you'd want to listen to a 4 minute mash-up of a nearly 6 minute song is beyond me, but when it comes out tomorrow just clean your slates, and listen with uncertain ears. It's the only way you'll be able to appreciate it.

I'll be honest, I was pissed out of my mind when I read that the song wasn't coming to those who pre-ordered the album until tomorrow. But really, until a few days ago I wasn't expecting anything different anyways. Just relax guys. This is a big part in LP's legacy. Try to take it all in stride, and make the most out of it. Don't ruin the release of their new single for yourselves.

19. TheRAT

TheRAT Well-Known Member

nice

20. Disturbedthoughts

Disturbedthoughts *Twitch*

No offense meant, but your comment just confounds me. The thing is people don't like it...hence the complaints...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.