The Catalyst Out Now!

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moviten

Moviten [Teh Unknown]

Man I wish this sem would have already started so I could be distracted with classes while waiting for this album. So far away.

2. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Don't respond to spraypaint anymore. He was deemed a troll and staff banned him well over an hour ago for disrespecting members on a constant basis.

3. Niklas

Niklas BadaBinge LPA VIP

now, after around 25 listening rounds, i have to admit: i get an eargasm every time i hear it. its sheer beauty and epicness, i almost cried during the second listen earlier that night on BBC1. wow, just absolutely fucking brilliant, amazing in EVERY second of this 5.44 min long journey. i couldnt be happier right now. if the lead single is this epic, i cant even begin to imagine how awesome the album is going to be. im just totally blown away by it. after all the teasing and the good but not perfect MOH trailer we got this. thank you, LP. for a Decade of Music. Passion. and Love. and thanks LPA for just being who you are. i`ll make myself comfortable here now, get me a cigarette and enjoy the coziness of this place :)

4. KMunkee

KMunkee Munkee

The full length song is quite an improvement than the chopped up trailer version.
    I do like the song, but like most new singles from an album where a band changes its style/method, it's a bit different and new and feelings are mixed. I've been hearing clips throughout the month and while some parts grabbed me, others didn't. Hearing the whole thing together left me feeling uncertain and that is good. It shows that it IS in fact something new and different.

I have a feeling that this song will do well on the charts/ radio. Also, people will be intrigued to hear the rest of the album because of how different it is. They don't know what to expect. I know I am intrigued and I haven't a clue what to expect. I'm going to keep my mind open.

My only problem is that it's quite repetitive and that can be bad...but for a first single, it has commercial appeal and the chants will be stuck in people's heads I also found that both Mike and Chester's vocals had a tad too many effects, but it works, despite.

5. Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

Can't wait to hear it live. I'm sure Brad and Phoenix will have a much more prominent role.

6. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Headphones = head bang.

7. luisjs

luisjs Active Member

It's a beautiful track and definitely one of my favourite LP tracks. The buildup is just excellent.

...And Joe Hahn is back from MTM, that's one positive element :)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  8. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

JOE HAHN NEVER LEFT. Fuckin crap, the guy does MORE than just scratch.

9. OkamiSensei

OkamiSensei gas.mask.angel

+1
    It sounds just that much more epic with good quality headphones. :awesome:

10. LPkillz

LPkillz Well-Known Member

Is the tapping in the beginning a broom they used like they showed in the "Meeting Of A Thousand Suns"?
    If it is then I guess one of the instruments they used was a broom. lmao

But really amazing song, can't wait for ATS and for the DVD!!! :D

11. CHW42

CHW42 Well-Known Member

After looking at the lyrics, I realized the true lyrical structure of the song (for some reason, the song just seemed repetitive to me on listen). Two verses basically, the the same thing repeated twice in each verse. Makes me feel a bit better about it since I first thought that it was the same thing repeated over and over again. The end of the song is great.

12. ...

... Well-Known Member

registered to write what i think of the new single.. and to sum up, it's ok. it's quite catchy, but also very repetitive. i think i got bored of it after about 5 listens, but then if i heard it as part of the album i'd probably enjoy it a lot more.

i do really like chester's chorus "when i close my eyes.." it moves me somehow, the rest i don't like so much. what ruins it for me is "life me up, let me go" - it's cliche, cheesy, and a bit too general. mike really needs to stick to rapping, i'm positive the other band members arn't being honest with him and just let chester get on with it - they just need to play to their strengths. mike's is rapping, chester's is singing. brads is coming up with heavy riffs - if they were to just experiment instrumentally and lyrically around those 3 things instead of dismissing them it'd be much better.

i've followed lp cuz of reanimation, which was fkin awesome tbh. i felt meteora was hit and miss, m2m was as well and different to what i predicted but i accepted it as an experiment. this new album from what i gather is even more experimental, and most likely, hit and miss.

to sum up about catalyst, i'd probably enjoy it in the context of the album but as a song on it's own it's not amazing.

13. Shark Attack

Shark Attack Well-Known Member

Sounds so much better at full blast in surround sound...

So much going on, AND WE CAN ACTUALLY TELL THAT JOE IS THERE

14. Wizardofozil

Wizardofozil Well-Known Member

7 week to go

15. Shayan86

Shayan86 Well-Known Member

Now one good question is, why has the song been titled "The Catalyst"? I think we would need to hear the whole album to understand why.

16. @LP2K12

@LP2K12 Est. 2K12

Just to give a little perspective. I'm 24 and I've been a fan since 2001. My wife is 22 shes been a "radio" fan I would say. She likes Linkin Park from the radio, but does own the albums and has heard every song from me. When I got home I played The Catalyst and asked her for her opinion. She said she can stand it, but doesn't prefer it over the sound of Linkin Park from Minutes to Midnight. Now, she would rather hear Minutes to Midnight over Meteora or Hybrid Theory, so she's not against change or evolution in the band. So, I'm interested to see how she reacts to the rest of A Thousand Suns since we pre-ordered it. I on the other hand LOVE The Catalyst.

17. Moviten

Moviten [Teh Unknown]

This is just an assumption, but I think this may be like asking why Papercut, Faint and Figure.09 have their respective titles. I could be wrong though because the album seems FULL of these type of titles, like a lot of them I just can't imagine having them said in the course of the song. So it may be some kind of fluency. If that's the case, my guess would be "the Catalyst" is the spark of change within people, a kind of catalyst for a revolt or something.

18. cradle

cradle Foreword LPA VIP

:headbang:

19. Storm

Storm Well-Known Member

I am absolutely amazed. I mean... it's trippy, powerful and yet mature and developed well. Can't wait to hear it in car.
    Just one thing: i was getting convinced by people writing that the contest is a sensational sponsor idea, that is genial and all. By reading many people's review of the song and hearing how the original song turned out to be, i agree with who says that the contest should NEVER been existed. Or simply been different, a different kind of request. Not discussing the LP kind way of involving fans at all.
    Like that the song would have been New in all its form, a whole surprise, without 5 loops that were over-listened in the past month. Now people give it a 4 or maximum 6, and IF/WHEN the song starts growing on them, it gets a +2. I think without the contest, people might have started from a 6 or 7, and ending up giving a 9 or 10, simply because we would have got used to the sound of everything and every detail into it.
    I think also that this track, inside the album, will get a new identity. The fact the lyrics is relatively short shows that this song is the prelude to the end of the cd and of a bigger concept that doesn't need a long writing. It is a song that signs a point of arrival in the album, and so i think this track has an incredible charisma. It didn't feed my appetite till september at all, even if i give it an abundant 9.5/10. With the full album, i am sure, there will be only 10 and 10++ tracks. Nothing less.

To see this live will be an experience as well.

20. 28thART

28thART The Hard Way

^_^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.