The Catalyst Out Now!

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cure4TheItch

Cure4TheItch I fuck up everything I see, fighting in futility.

After all the buildup and all the hype...I'm completely blown away.

I think this song defines the word "epic." The way it starts, the way it builds so slowly, all toward the emotion of the climax of the track, to the emotions in the outro. Everything about it is amazing. Lyrics are repetitive, but with this format, that's a good thing.

September 14th is gonna take forever to get here.

2. AndreyKamensky

AndreyKamensky hakuna matata

I thought I'm not gonna like this song,but I was wrong. Epic shit haha :)

3. Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

Thanks a lot! :)

4. hybridtheory_gc

hybridtheory_gc Well-Known Member

They better put some more guitar and drum work into this when they play this live.

5. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I don't think I can comprehend what I just listened to. This has to be one of the most musically intense, frenetic and experimental tracks the band has ever written. It's so layered and textured that I feel like I'll still be finding things in this song even after A Thousand Suns is released.

Reminds me of Hybrid Theory in the sense that nothing about the song was expected. If every song is like this on the new record than I think we're in for big treat.

6. heavenscalamity

heavenscalamity Well-Known Member

This.

On top of this, the fact that as the song progressed it didn't just repeat itself, it evolved, which is something I had been hoping LP would be able to pull off. This song really benefited from its lack of "generic" structure.

7. Mitch

Mitch YTB

I'd love to hear more of the synth sound on ATS, this track has got me really pumped for the album.

8. Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

Yeah, I definitely agree with you. There was nothing really predictable about it (except arguably the lyrics) but I think that is what makes the music so intense to listen to because it is constantly changing, and then at the end when it changes dramatically, I just feel like I've been on a journey and it didn't bore me at all.

9. Shadow

Shadow The Evil That Men Do.. LPA VIP

Funny I was about to write something about that, because the "Track" itself is phenomenal, if anything it sorta reminded me of the build off papercut, just not as compressed and short but longer. The emotional factor is totally new. What I did not like was the overuse of:

"God bless us everyone,
    We're a broken people living under loaded gun,
    And it can't be outfought,
    It can't be outdone,
    It can't be outmatched,
    It can't be outrun."

Or the alternate chorus.

Such a lengthy juicy track and it was filled with this, and "lift me up, let me go" <-- that could've been condensed a little bit and added more lyrical material. Again, the track was excellent; far better than all 3 albums combined for me (and the remix album).

Lyrics get a 5/10 for me. Just feels as if it was just stretched out to complete the track.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  10. iNuBBiN

iNuBBiN Well-Known Member

This song would be really good to my taste if they cut 2 minutes of the middle out. I loved the beginning and the end but the middle was just repeating lyrics with a cluster fuck of electronic beats. Wasnt pleased but wasnt disappointing

11. Vic

Vic No game no life

This song is beast, That's the perfect word. The synth solo is spectacular.

12. I. Am. In. Love...with the new song. This is new and fresh. I like the electronic sound they have blended in, I enjoy Mike's singing along w/ Chester's...ahhhh I can't wait for the new album!! Yay Linkin Park! It's going to be an exciting year...I can't wait till they announce US tour dates. I hope for next spring! :)

13. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

This times a billion!

I seems to be on my 36th time listening to this song, and it is just addicting. The synths on the song are what really attract me, since it gives me a great electronic feel to it. The Catalyst is a great example (for me anyway) that you don't need heavy guitar riffs on a Linkin Park song in order to be great. I am definitely looking forward to the rest of the album, and will probably have reached over 9000! plays of this song before then. :lol:

14. Shadow

This is what I meant by the band is ahead in the technological department by light years. This is really them putting their all here. I am totally happy with the track, and can't wait to see the surprises stored in that album. Sadly, I do not share the same sentiments of totally loving the song. I really love the build, texture, and everything that's going on. It reminds me of Reanimation a helluva alot just done properly! :D.

And just to add, but damn Rob was killing it with the drums :).

15. @LP2K12

@LP2K12 Est. 2K12

Just wanted to add, I'm turning heads out in public with The Catalyst as my ringtone. It's got people asking what the song is and which artist that is. Very cool.

16. The Candidate

The Candidate Well-Known Member

on the first listen i thought..hm that was okay.
    Second Run: Hm pretty nice song
    Third Run (laying calm in my bed with ear phones): WOW!!!

The only part wich has still to grow on my, is the synth solo, and i say that as a fan of synths and electronic music

17. oh and the song is available for download on iTunes now...at least in the US it is...just downloaded it :)

18. Shadow

I need to get it for the headphones. Most all linkin park music is meant to be heard in the headphones. Unless they released this as a DVD-A with 5.1 audio.. I'll check it out in headphones later. I am sure my opinion might change slightly.

19. Saoberlinwaves

Saoberlinwaves Banned

The entire song was fantastic and the structure isn't generic at all, except for the vocals. I mean it's not conventional, but it's still generic. This song might be the most complete song LP has made to this date overall, but in terms of vocals it just leaves a lot to be desired.

I still feel great about this album and if the rest of the album has this sort of epic tone it'll blow the previous 3 albums outta the water

20. Shadow

Yup, I am considering this track as the "meh" song out of the album. Is still good, but not one I am totally going "OMG LIINKIN PARK RULES!!!" but more of the lines of:
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.