Are These Laptops Good?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by hawk, Jul 20, 2010.

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

Hey.

My parents are thinking of buying me a laptop for mainly school but I would also use it for the internet such as the LPA. Looking at the local shops and such have got three laptops on the list and I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if they know of them and if you're any good or could tell me in comparison to the other ones on the slit. Something like that.

The list is;
    Dell Studio 15" Notebook
    Asus 16" Notebook
    Dell Inspiron 15" Notebook
    Samsung 15" Notebook

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
    Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

Uhm, you gave absolutely no information except for brand, their size and the fact that it's a notebook. Model numbers?

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

go with the Asus. Dell laptops have battery issues, and i dont have any info on the Samsung one, since i didnt even know they made laptops

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

My girlfriend has a Samsung laptop - really surprised me too. Apparently it's pretty decent for her digital design needs. I have an ASUS and it's an amazing laptop.

Of course, you can't really say one laptop is better than the other just because of the brand, as you could say Dell is better than Samsung, and then it turns out the specs of the Samsung blow the Dell out of the water.

hawk

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
    Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

I still can't give you much help as that site barely gives any detail.

If you're limiting yourself to those laptops... I can't say anything about the ASUS in terms of graphics because the website is a piece of shit, but:
    Samsung (benchmarks) is better than the Dell (benchmarks)
    Comparison of i5 450m (Samsung) and 520m (Dell), which seems that the difference isn't much.

I'd honestly look for other options where you can properly compare the specs and make a well informed choice, but if you're looking at those two, the Samsung seems to be the better option. Although, if you don't really care about specs, go with the Dell Studio since it's cheapest (as much as I don't like recommending Dell..). Still, you're best off looking at other sites for better options, as I'm sure you could find an ASUS that outdoes both.

Adam.

Adam. Well-Known Member

General buying advice:

If it's not a $1200 Asus, Lenovo ThinkPad, or Apple Macbook you should consider that you will almost certainly be replacing it as soon as the warranty on its parts is up. (6 months to a year, and good luck getting repairs earlier than that).

If you're extremely price conscious but basic in your needs consider an iPad. It's easily the best web experience (yes, better than notebook PCs).

hawk

Do you work for Apple?

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Yeah, Macs never break. Here's my MacBook working like a champ:

IMG_20100726_210056.jpg

Oh...wait.

I have to take it to the "Genius" Bar later this week when I have time. Luckily, it is under warranty (and will be the second time I'm having it repaired, looks like AppleCare paid for itself). I just hope they don't tell me it's a non-issue and it's my fault for holding it the wrong way.

Adam.

Adam. Well-Known Member

I didn't say Macs never break, I said cheap electronics are nearly guaranteed to break. You'll also note that Apple's computers are 1 out of 3 brands I trust with my computing. I happen to prefer OS X so I use a mac. If you're a PC guy, but still want a computer that's going to be around for more than 12 months I recommend Lenovo's ThinkPad line OR the upper end Asus models. Both have excellent build quality. But I own an iPad and I'm saying that for $500 I don't think you can get a better web experience. I much prefer it to my notebook computer if I don't NEED to be on my macbook.

Also: RE: The phone antenna, that's just silly. What Steve was talking about was people who were deliberately covering the big target sign on the phone with their hands so as to MAKE this phenomena happen. I notice the Droid X with it's double antennas and smart switching isn't immune from this phenomena either. There's also an entire tumblr site with a ton of photos of manuals for cell phones detailing the ways not to hold other models of phone. Apple just gets flack for this because Steve tends to be honest in a very blunt way and most Americans prefer to be pandered to rather than told the truth — hence, outrage.

Todd

Apple gets flack because you barely just have to touch the antenna to make it lose all signal, and the fact that the problem is solved by a case covering that part of the antenna indicates that it has more to do with your hand bridging the two antennas rather than your hand blocking the signal. I have a Nexus One and I can hold it in my giant, Shrek-like hands and grip it tightly and it still won't lose a signal.

Adam.

Adam. Well-Known Member

Where your Nexus One is you would probably have a strong enough signal on your iPhone to mask/mitigate the issue in the first place. But since you don't have an iPhone (and I do) I think we can safely assume you're talking based on hearsay from the online echo chamber.

Here's a video of me trying for seven minutes to get my brand new, uncovered, iPhone to drop signal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcYiaPmzCR8 Since the update fixed the algorithm for displaying bars I've not been able to cause it to drop one from movement like I could in that video. Now there are just normal fluctuations.

But, you know, don't take my word for it:

http://blog.keithbradnam.com/signal-problems-on-the-nexus-one-might-be-as << Here's one of the many videos demonstrating that this can be made to happen on a Nexus one if you're in a weak enough signal area.

Here's a handy blog showing official documents and videos displaying or warning about this effect on other phones:

http://dontholditwrong.tumblr.com/

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
    Todd

I was in the Apple Store yesterday and was able to reproduce the signal problem on one of their demo iPhones. BTW, most Apple Stores have AT&T repeaters in them to give the best possible signal strength possible in the store. And my Nexus One (also on AT&T) was working just fine in the store, showing full bars. The Nexus One might lose some signal strength in some areas with weak signal as seen in the video you posted, but the video shows the Nexus One starting out at 3 bars (and on EDGE, and from my experience, AT&T's 3G network far exceeds their EDGE network in coverage and quality) so it's hardly a valid test IMO, but it's not going to go from full bars to zero when you merely hold it. And here's the thing; on some phones, you have to do the death grip and hold the phone in a position no one would ever hold it in to lose signal. On the iPhone 4, you just have to barely touch it. That's the key difference. I don't grip my Nexus One in both hands and hold on tightly when talking on the phone. But the iPhone 4 will lose its signal when you just touch it where the two antennas meet, and there are videos out there showing that. And when I was playing with the iPhone 4, I was holding it like I would hold my Nexus One when web browsing, horizontally, with my left index finger and thumb holding it. My finger touched the sweet spot, and in seconds, it had gone from full bars to 1.

Besides, who cares about the antenna issue? iOS is a closed piece of shit. I don't want Apple telling me what I can and can't do with my phone, and what apps I can and can't run. They're acting like the big brother they rebelled against in 1984.

Zak

Zak HEY, EVERYONE! GET IN HERE!

Um off topic much?
    Between those four, solely off of brand name, I would go for the Samsung. We have had plenty of laptops in the house from all four of those brands and the Samsung ones always outperformed the others.

But after looking at the pricing I would go for either the Asus or the Samsung since Dell always charge more than what the tech is worth.

hawk

Those were to two I was thinking. Thanks a lot.

Adam.

Adam. Well-Known Member

I'll make a couple points, and I will close with this:

(1)Most Apple stores have demo phones using wifi.. the in-store wifi. So I'm not inclined to believe your example. Next time you repeat this experiment take a camera in with you and record it, just like I did on my brand new model in the middle of town.

(2)iOS is closed, so? If you keep up to date on mobile phone security flaws you'll note that Apple doesn't seem to be having the App related ones that most android phones are these days. There is something to be said for the annoying, but effective, curation model Apple uses.

(3) You have bought very much into a blogosphere created Myth that Apple is all things unholy. That's sad, because you seem intelligent enough to discern when you're being manipulated. On issues such as this I defer to the tech capitals of the United States, where the best and the brightest are: MIT and Stanford. They use iPhones, they use Macs, and now they use iPads. Because the devices work as advertised. These are electrical engineers and CS majors, people who do things you and I can only dream about for homework. If the very people who helped to make open source what it is today, and continue to engineer for it, don't think Apple is the devil then it's worth reexamining your position.

If you wish to argue this point further feel free to PM me.

Back on topic:

Samsung makes decent electronics, I don't know how I feel about their computers. I just know that the only brands I trust for build quality and QA are Lenovo, Asus (upper end) and Apple. If those are a bit out of your price range at the moment then you'll have to make do with what you can find.

Todd

Demo iPhones are on WiFi for internet access, but they're still connected to AT&T's network. You can make calls from the demo iPhones. Regarding the security things you brought up, I have had no problems with my Android. It's just like a computer, don't download random garbage to it and you'll be OK. With freedom comes responsibility.

BTW, I majored in CS in college at one of the best science and engineering universities in the midwest, graduated, and am now a software engineer for a major American telecommunications company. I know a thing or two about the industry, I don't care about the opinions of students at MIT and Sanford, I am more than educated and qualified enough to form my own.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

Dell's are good but are expensive, which I am lead to believe if it came from the direct makers, and not resold to a store like Harvey Norman, why the hell are they so expensive?
    You're better off for your purposes Joseph, to flexi-rent than to buy one out rate. Harvey Norman have sales every weekend, and this weekend as I know cos I was in there looking for a Desktop myself, there's 40% off. But the crap thing is, with Harvey Norman products you gotta buy towers and the monitors seperatly. I honestly am getting sick of using a laptop at home when I'm not on the go - as before when I traveled to my folks place in Sydney I found it useful. Samsung's are a reasonably good brand as well, just in general electronics, so I assume they must excel in laptops as well.
    As for Apple products, I find them user unfriendly. Because I am so used to Windows OS, I at uni, hated whenever we had to use the Mac Lab to do our video and graphics work on them (yes I do know they are the best for such industry). The shortcuts confuse me like hell as I am so used to Windows. And as for the tech stuff like stated above between Todd and adam.posey I have no idea sorry, so I can't take either side. I just sit back on this argument.

barnes80

barnes80 Well-Known Member

Frankly I looked at the links you posted and those are pretty outrages prices for what comes in them...

I have a 17 inch Hp laptop with similar specs and it only ran me 680 bucks and its 3 years old and still running perfectly minus the fact that a wore down the battery but that's to be expected. You really need to shop around before you make your purchase because honestly paying over a thousand bucks for an average laptop is just insane unless it has a good warranty or comes from a trusted brand. I personally don't trust dell at all because I've had a lot of friends with dell issues. I didn't even know Samsung made computers so that says how much I trust them, although I typically trust their other electronics. Asus just sounds like a cheapo brand but people here said good things about it so I guess if you are going with those 4 along go with that... but I'd seriously reconsider where you are buying from. Some random website with bright yellow background and poor webdesign probably isn't the best place to make a long term computer commitment with.

hawk

JB Hi-Fi is probably the biggest electronic seller in Australia.....
    If you want something, they'll probably have it.