More A Thousand Suns Art

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Aug 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Love the second one.
    Knew the artwork for this album was gonna be sweet.

Ant

Ant Ambient

If I insist? It's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of fact that they are two different subjects. Just like science and math are two different subjects.

You have yet to say why the art is immature, you just say it is. I totally get that you feel it shouldn't be use as cover art, and I respect that, because you feel it needs to be as representative of the album as possible (but again, I bring up the question of why they would include it in the album's art if it wasn't indicative of the album at least on some level). But you have yet to say why the art is immature, which is why I had issue with your statement from the beginning. I haven't ignored anything you've said.

My first statement in response to your post was, "How does the art have anything to do with the band's maturity?" It had nothing to do with the cover art or if it would be appeasing to people looking to buy the album, which I think is why you're confusing my responses for misinterpreting your post -- because the question I've posed to you from the beginning is why the art is immature, as in your first post you stated, "If they want to sell the idea that they've grown up I don't think any of these would have been a better choice than the one they did choose."

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

The third cover is the best one.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

You do realize most science is based off of math right?:blink:

evulture

evulture Banned

wow .. just 15-20 days left till we will have a LEAKED copy on the internet .. woohooo :D :D :D :D :D

_cam_

_cam_ Well-Known Member

Those are incredibly cool art pics! :)

But the second one looks like the girl in The Grudge movie. :lol:

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

I love these! They are very awesome! ^_^

Ant

Ant Ambient

I'm aware. We're discussing two things that have a similar background (art) but are still different subjects, hence why I used that analogy.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Hah, I was thinking the same thing.

Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

Cool stuff.

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

Yes, this is what I was hoping they'd be more of.

I'm reallying looking forward to where the art is going. Very eerie, sinster, but at the same time, beatiful and compelling. Not to dissimilar the the band 'The Eagles' and their artwork for their first few albums.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I know the implication is sort of there but I'm yet to call these pieces immature, I've only said that to me they look less mature than the cover they did choose. I've also said earlier in the thread that I find them pretty garish looking, and that to me they don't look far off being artwork for some schlocky hard rock band. I think this applies more to the second one and not that much to the third, and the first is kind of middling in this respect. Whereas the one they did choose isn't the greatest art ever either, but it looks cleaner and classier and it seems to be more in keeping with the direction they want to go in with this album.

I've made it clear from the start that I was referring to the album cover in particular, and it's to do with their maturity because, like I've already said, ideally their current level of maturity should be conveyed through the cover art. If they want to come across as being more mature, but they have an album cover that people don't find that mature, they've failed at that. If it had nothing to do with the cover art or "if it would be appeasing to people looking to buy the album" it had nothing much to do with my post. You could've just asked me "Why do you think they're immature?" if that's what you wanted to know as "How does the art have anything to do with the band's maturity?" isn't the same question.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
    usblackbird

usblackbird Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing too! And the tiger makes me feel like I'm going cross-eyed because I see six eyes. Really cool pictures though, the third one is my favorite so far.

linkinladie328

linkinladie328 Active Member

Santana

To me it looks very Carlos Santana. I grew up with a lot of Santana album artwork because my dad is a big Santana fan. I'm used to seeing that kind of artwork. So at first glance, that's what came to mind. Not that it's a bad thing; just commenting :)

Ant

Ant Ambient

OK, then what makes these pieces of art "less mature" than the cover art chosen? Because they're "garish"? That has nothing to do with maturity. There are plenty of famous pieces of art that are "garish", and I don't think anyone would assume that makes them less mature than more traditional art.

And I know that those aren't the same questions, hence why I didn't ask them. I never said the band was immature or you said that. I asked why you view this ART as being less mature than the art chosen for the cover. What is less mature about it? How does it reflect being less mature? I'm not seeing the point you're making in the statements that this aren't would represent the band being less mature.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Anyone getting a Deftones vibe from these?

Regardless, this should have been the cover;
    [​IMG]

And I don't care how mature it is. It's creepy and fucking ridiculous, therefore is awesome.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Here's the first definition of "garish" from dictionary.com:

"crudely or tastelessly colorful, showy, or elaborate, as clothes or decoration."

On the whole I don't think those are usually seen as especially mature traits. That's the gist of how the two tie in with each other.

On a completely unrelated note (because everything that doesn't follow exactly the same line as what came before it has absolutely nothing to do with what came before it, right?) I could've sworn you were taking my use of the word "garish" out of context and ignoring everything else (never mind me saying it was based on how I think they stack up against each other and not on an objective standard) but then I remembered you don't do that. I'm definitely at fault here. This is turning out to be an invaluable lesson in sound logic, and for that I am eternally grateful.

Really? I could have sworn I quoted the second directly from one of your posts, and you've been telling me that you really just want to know why I think these are (in YOUR word(s)...) "immature". I'm guessing this is like when you misinterpret parts of my posts and ignore others, but then you say you haven't so you can't possibly have. Goodo.

I never said you said that, and I don't think I said it myself. I said you said I said the art was immature. SAAAAAAAIIIID.

And I've explained it to you. Like I said, if it just comes down to you and I having differing tastes and opinions then fair enough. Maybe I really haven't backed up my opinion sufficiently, but I'm doing my best and I shouldn't have to spell everything out for you if you aren't going to show even a tiny bit of intuition.

There's really no need to heap bullshit upon bullshit and drag this out, but if you're just going to carry on then don't bother replying. It'd be a waste of my time and yours.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
    Ant

Ant Ambient

Ah, a wonderful argument. I'm not allowed to carry on the conversation (in which my only question has essentially been how is the art in this topic any less mature than the chosen cover art, or rather, how it represents the band being immature or less mature, however you want to phrase it) because it's a waste of time, yet you are allowed to continue on just fine. Seems like a rather large double standard to have.

Furthermore, I don't appreciate your personal attacks. I didn't take your use of the word "garish" out of context. You were referring to these three pieces of art as "garish," which is how I used the term in my post. To directly quote you: "They're all pretty garish, never mind how the second two don't seem to have anything to do with the album appears to be about." You are obviously referring solely to the three pieces of art in question in this topic, and you said they're all "garish." I'd love to know how I took that out of context. You can take your sarcasm elsewhere, because I feel I've been more than mature in addressing you in this topic, even if it is obvious we disagree.

Clearly I made a mistake with my grammar in my post. I meant that was why I didn't ask both questions; I know I asked the latter. My fault.

All I've asked for is your opinion on why this art is "less mature" than the cover art. I didn't ask if it would lead to more or less sales of the album as that's debatable, and I think it's a perfectly sound opinion to have to question whether or not people would buy an album with any of this art as the cover. What I asked is why it is less mature than the cover art chosen. Nothing more, nothing less. I didn't ask you to quote a dictionary for elaboration on your sole adjective describing the art (an adjective I clearly disagree with, hence my using quotes around it when I used it), but I can see that's as far as you're going to go to actually answer my question. And, no, you haven't answered my question (or even attempted to, until this post), you simply argued my rhetoric of immature instead of "less mature" as you stated. My bad again. Heavens me, I made a mistake in confusing "immature" and "less mature." Doesn't change the context of the question.

I can see I'm not going to get a mature response out of you, even when all I've asked is a simple question and never questioned your motives or your opinion, just simply asked why you thought so. I really didn't think it was a rude or crude question, but apparently it has greatly offended you as you seem to be taking this so closely to heart. Apologies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.