My review of ATS

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by ana, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Moviten

Moviten [Teh Unknown]

>>>>(or isn't enough to be note worthy)<<<<<

I made acknowledgment of that technicality.

2. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Beggers can't be choosers. Technicality or not, it's true. He did say there was more rapping.

3. Moviten

Moviten [Teh Unknown]

Or I can say, "I'm disappointed" and not have to defend myself because there's nothing really more that should be said than that?

4. punkkidskater

punkkidskater Why So Shinoda?

Judging on what I've been reading and on personal judgments this is how I believe ana meant to distinguish the tracks:

spoiler alert? lol

1. The Requiem:
    You can clearly say that It's a journey through an apocalyptical athmosphere and it's starting with a mysterious sound, similar to aliennoises and builds up into a keyboard play. This track is featuring a Choir and a female voice singing "Don't save us everyone, we are broken people living under loaded gun.." and

2. The Radiance:
    ends with an original, digitally edited speech by Oppenheimer.

3. Burning in the Skies:
    The second song begins with an heartbeat drum and is followed by a electric/pop guitar and Mike singing. The keyboard sounded like electro mixed with jazz elements and after that they sing "I'm loosing what I don't deserve" and the guitars fade out and you can only hear the keys and mike singing the end.

4. Empty Spaces:
    Starts with crickets and bombs in the background and later you can hear afican soldier marchsinging.*

5. When They Come For Me:
    There is a sudden break in the song and a heavy distorted guitar fades in (I've never heard Brad playing such heavy guitars before) and a heavy rap rythm drops in.
    Mike raps: "I'm not a robot, I'm not a monkey....."
    And on this Linkin Park record, you hear Mike saying motherf**** for the first time ever (2x in the song) and what comes after that swearing is a perfect part for the crowd to sing (Ohhh's in the rythm to the heavy beat -> sounds like soldiers preparing for war)
    It ends with chester singing: "When they come for me, I'll be gone" and the same african soldier marchsinging as the beginning (it also features some oriental music)

6. Robot Boy:
    Starts with a Piano and Mike and Chester singing Ohhh
    The genre reminds me of Soundgarden, older rock style
    Chester singing "You say you're not gonna fight because no one's gonna fight for you"
    And on this song (and also on the whole album) you can hear synthesizer strings and a similar fast drum beat as on the previous songs.
    "Hold on to the weight of the world" is one of the main messages of this song.

7. Jornada Del Muerto:
    Mike and Chester singing in another language (or english backwards) and followed by a guitar distortion and a drum beat in WID style.
    It builds up slowly and fades out into an empty space.

8. Waiting For The End:
    Rough Guitar Intro (repeats 4x) followed by single key notes and on this track Mike is rapping in a reggae style but still fitting to the guitars. Another break fades in where it calms the speed of the song down and chester sings: "Waiting for the end to come"
    A ballad tunes in and the whole song has a cruising (californian beach style) rythm )*
    * A song you can actually dance pretty well to it in the club*

9. Blackout:
    Its starts with a synth organ pipe and is underlined with a fast drumroll. This song reminded me of the 80th Pop style with the cheap synthesizer keys but the most shoking was chester rapping the song really fast and (to me) awful.
    And you think this song is going to be POP with Chester rapping, but in the chorus he screams his lungs out (Mike mentioned in an interview that he's loosing his mind)
    This song is really weird and disturbing because the pop/rapping (autotuned) by chester don't fit at all to these crazy screams.
    When the guitar fades in, it reminded me of a electro-rock/trash song by Marylin Manson and the beat was dubstep like.
    And the song has a really fast speed but its being calmed down by mike singing in a soft voice "calm down" and it ends with another singing by Mike and Chester together.

10. Wretches and Kings:
    Starts with a public speech (obviously from the WWII era)
    The guitar sounds very strange and the beats style is similar to the 2009 Lying From You Intro.
    Mike is rapping on this one and chester sings with a very dirty (similar to skindred) voice and its another perfect song for the crowd to sing. On this track Joe is really present.

11. Wisdom, Justice, and Love:
    A very sad keyboard intro with a historical speech by Martin Luther King. An unknown male voice says "the end is near" and turns slowly (by effects) to an evil-like voice.
    (At the end you can hear MLK saying wisdom, justice and war)

12. Iridiscent
    Starts (again) with a piano to which mike sings in a sad voice (very emotional)
    Chester joins Mike to it and the beat is similar to a one republic song (marching on)
    -> To me it's a Pop Ballad (similar to SOTD) <-
    The song ends with a choir by the whole band.

13. Fallout:
    (reminds me of the song Buddha For Mary by 30 Seconds to mars -> the beginning with the distorted voice)

14. The Catalyst

15. The Messenger:
    Very similar to Hero Of War by Rise Against
    Acoustic Guitar with chester singing: "When you feel you're alone, your instinct tells you to run.."
    (I marked that chester became angrier with his voice)
    The piano follows the acoustic guitar and chester repeats "Back home, where live/love keeps you blind...)

5. hybridtheory_gc

hybridtheory_gc Well-Known Member

I'd just like to ask Ana (or anyone that has heard the album in full), are there less guitars in ATS than in MTM?

6. Ant

Ant Ambient

Actually, I think there's still one or two guitars. Hey-oh!

7. hybridtheory_gc

hybridtheory_gc Well-Known Member

Let me rephrase my question then, are there less guitar work or guitar sounds in ATS than in MTM?

8. Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

I think I speak for Ana when I say most definitely. I'm pretty sure she (or maybe a band member?) said there are less guitars overall compared to past LP albums.

9. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

This is what was said. Mike didn't guarantee shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. I can understand disappointment, but peeps gotta get the facts straight. 3 straight up rapping tracks and one half-rap-sing track from Mike is more than MtM. If you say that it isn't, you need to learn how to count again. If you think that's not enough, that's a different story. I tend to not care...if it isn't a hip-hop album I'm not gonna be disappointed if there isn't rapping

10. Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Well I made it pretty far without getting a warning I'd say.

11. The Candidate

The Candidate Well-Known Member

I think you're right, though i didn't hear the album. But your combinatorics seem to work for me

12. Martinez

Martinez Active Member

Folks LP have outdone themselves. I can tell and i havcen't heard the album yet. This is going to be goddamn epic.

13. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

He did, but since then I'm sure someone posted something from a recent chat where he said there was more rapping. So, assuming I've remembered that correctly it's still a valid frustration. At best there's probably only a bit more rapping and if that disappoints people Mike's played his part by being vague about it.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  14. Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

There is more rapping though. 3 1/2 songs with rapping out of 9 full songs. That's over 1/3 of the "full songs" on the album. I can't see any reason a fan has to complain. Mike said there would be more rap, and there is.

15. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Because if you say "there's more rapping" people are going to assume there's actually a noteworthy amount more. Generally speaking, if you're vague about something in that way people are going to make that sort of assumption. Whether or not a 1.5 song increase is noteworthy is debatable, cue disappointment.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  16. Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

I'm with Captain. When I hear "more rapping" I definitely think more than 3.5. Yes, technically there is more. Maybe Mike could have said a LITTLE more rapping. Despite what I just said, I'm do think 3.5 songs is enough, but it sounded like there'd be more than that.

17. Jovertop

Jovertop Well-Known Member

well i think the album is based on electronics and sounds...but all in all the album will include more harder Rock songs

18. Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I really believe if you think this is going to be a harder rock album, and if you want it to be, you are going to be extremely disappointed.

19. Saoberlinwaves

Saoberlinwaves Banned

Not sure if I like the idea of Chester having a much smaller role in this album... his vocals are what makes LP, LP, in my humble opinion.

20. Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

I know exactly what you mean. Everything sounds awesome so far, but that's the one piece that's bugged me. I'm sure he'll be very present, like he was in The Catalyst, I hope so anyways.