A Thousand Suns Leaked

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I got into "Hybrid Theory" in 2001, listened to nothing but that album until "Meteora" was released. :)

Just like "Hybrid Theory" and "Meteora" had before it, when I heard "Minutes To Midnight", it just clicked with me. I understood the band's intentions and how those intentions had been realised, and it all just made perfect sense to me. Although a couple of songs did take a bit of getting used to for me ("In Between" in particular), I pretty much didn't feel alienated in the least. ;)

I already fully understand what Linkin Park intended to do with this album - been following this band since "Hybrid Theory" now and it's all been a logical progression, really;

"Minutes To Midnight" was, first and foremost, an effort to get away from the box people had put them in after their first two albums. They just did whatever on that album, exploring new possibilities in their new creative space.

This new album is further away from "Hybrid Theory" and "Meteora" still - but it seems to have a stronger creative vision, direction and focus behind it. This new material, I think, represents a more concentrated blast of creative energy rather than wild, unfocused burst of "let's just do something different!" that "Minutes" seems to have been. They had a clear idea of where they were going this time. :)

I expect that, when I listen to the new album (which I've just finished downloading via a link sent to my inbox), it'll give me that same feeling that "Hybrid Theory" gave me when I first got into it - that feeling which, back in 2001, led to Linkin Park being my favourite band for what has now been, like, ten years straight ...

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  2. Jake

Jake Give me reason

Damn right.

3. Jake

Jake Give me reason

Damn right.

4. spursrule

spursrule Well-Known Member

ATS's softer songs make the M2M alternatives feel stripped down and generic. There's more emotion in ATS as well. Also Mike and Joe had to be in this album more and they are!

5. cloudscream

cloudscream Static

MTM: Where the heck is Mr. Hahn?!?

ATS: Is Brad not in the band anymore??

6. Xodus112

Xodus112 Well-Known Member

I've always felt like hip hop heads (which I am as much as I am a rock guy) generally give LP more respect and "get" what LP has been trying to do throughout most of their careers. The reason, especially in the beginning of their careers, they operated like a hip hop group with guitars and singing, and I think some of the rock heads just can't wrap their heads around some of the genius behind it.

1. They wrote song instrumentals before laying their lyrics down, which is what you do in hip hop. It is a formulaic way of doing things (and even I'm bored of it now) I agree but their intention wasn't to be a jam band like everyone else.

2. Their instrumentals and samples as a whole are to be taken together and work as a unit to form the beat of the music like a hip hop beat. Rock heads will complain that Brad's chords are basic, you can't hear Dave on the bass and Rob's drum patterns are simple, not getting that this is intentional.

There's a reason why Reanimation was such a good remix album and Collision Course mashed up so well with Jay-Z, these guys thought and worked like a hip hop group.

That said, I'm very pleased with the changes in A Thousand Suns.

7. Hrvman

Hrvman Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me if you would have loved the songs like " When they come for me " or Blackout if it wasn't from LP but an unknown artist on youtube ?

I think I wouldn't have given it a second listening :(

8. Rhazmuz

Rhazmuz Active Member

Why do you have to put it up like this??

If you like a song, listen to it, and if you dont, well then dont listen to it?

I dont see why people have to make a big fuss out of this, sometimes you like music, sometimes you dont, thats life.

9. Kaleda519

Kaleda519 Well-Known Member

I think I would have, I love everything about them! BUT for example, 'when they come for me', wouldn't have had the same impact lyrically. I think because we know the band so well, and know that the band wanted to change, the lyrics really hit us and we got it straight away. If it was another artist it still would have been great but less powerful in some ways.

10. LP/DBS/FMFreak8908

LP/DBS/FMFreak8908 Well-Known Member

yeah i just now realized that lol i typed that way to fast but on a side note, thats the main reason why i am buying the censored one is so that i can play it around younger kids..cause really when i am listening to it ill listen to the explicit version..and on another note, i think its stupid to have walmart be prohibited from selling explicit cds considering the fact that they are allowed to sell rated R movies, which is in my opinion, basically speaking, is the same thing as a PA album but in video form, also, i believe i know the reason why they are prohibited from selling them, because i read on the internet that back in '98 when Godsmack came out with their first record walmart sold the PA version on their shelves for over a year without a PA sticker on it and some guy bought it for his son and then after purchasing and listening to it, made a complaint that the lyrics were offensive and violent, and after that i think thats what ruined it for walmart's music department when, in all actualility, i believe they should be able to sell PA CD's as well, but, make the customer present some form of ID to show that they are over 17 years of age..you agree??..and also, im also buying the censored album because i dont want my niece/younger relatives hearing mike drop the 'Motherfuckers' line in "When They Come For Me" or hearing him drop the 'Shit' line in "Wretches And Kings" or hearing Chester drop the 'Fuck It' line in "Blackout" either..now can u see why i wanted to get the Censored Album? as well as already owning the Explicit Version From i downloaded the album when it leaked..

11. ChuckCheese

ChuckCheese Did somebody order some cheese? LPA VIP

So the gang vocals that Mike talked about seem to be on:
    When They Come For Me (maybe?)
    Wretches and Kings
    Iridescent
    The Catalyst

12. cloudscream

cloudscream Static

It's the other way around for me. If I heard an unknown band play songs like When They Come for Me or Blackout, I will worship them.
    But in reality, those are Linkin Park's, so I just smile and say "Hmm... That's good." :D

13. LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

here is a small review of the main songs !!
    1. The Requiem(7.5): I love the intro song, the girl's voice (which is actually Mike singing, his voice has been altered to sound like a girl) is really haunting!! And music is nice !!
    3. Burning in the Skies(8): Burning in the skies is nice song, really different, nice guitar solo in the song, and Chester and mike sing really well ! It kind of reminds me of what i've done towards the end!
    5. When They Come for Me(7): This is an okay song, the beats are all okay..nothing great and Mike's rapping is nice !! But they should have probably added some sort of a better chorus in it !! I guess that’s why this song sounds different. The bangra and all is quite interesting to be seen in a LP album.
    6. Robot Boy(6): Robot boy, is something really different and it still hasn't sunk in for me. So I’m not commenting on it.
    8. Waiting for the End(8.5): This is the next single. The regge rapping is nice and different and Chester's main chorus part is really tuneful, kind of reminds u of his dead by sunrise project. And the outro of the song gives it amazing effect !!!
    9. Blackout(8): When I first saw the video clip of them recording this song. I was looking forward to this a lot but they added way too many effects onto the song and kind of ruined Chester's vocal part. But the end, with mike singing, it made it better. I really liked mike's portion, really tuneful. To me it sounds something like a tabla at the beginning of the song. :p :p
    10. Wretches and Kings(8.5): Typical LP song. The scream singing and rapping but with God-like beats !!! Amazing energy in this song ! Definitely the “Bleed it out” of this album.
    12. Iridescent(9): I think iridescent is amazing. Lots of music happening in this song. Chester gives an amazing performance in this song as well as mike. The group singing and all is amazing. Its gonna be a killer song live. Imagine 25,000 people singing that chorus part where the whole band sang. Musically, one of the best songs in the album !!!
    14. The Catalyst(9): This was the first single. A definite grower ,which you have to listen to like atleast 5 times to like. But definitely, an amazing song. Say what you want, but this was a suiting first single. Love the ending portion of the song with the “lift me up, Let me go” portion.
    15. The Messenger(7.5): The messenger, has a really different, stripped down feeling. The crisp singing by Chester, the acoustic sound. Its all nice but it should have been longer !!

The thing is every song in this album flows smoothly, nothing feels out of place. This album is musically their best ever, they've showed the talents they have. May not be commercial like HT or Meteora, but you've got to credit them for the efforts they are taking. One thing that is shown in this album is the amazing chemistry mike and Chester they have, not only when screaming n rapping but also when they sing along. I’m happy they ain’t like other shit bands like Limp Bizkit or Nickelback who stick to one particular genre. But, yeah, they could have given a little more importance to guitar and more concentration on some of the lyrics. Still , its amazing !!! Definitely my favorite right now by them !
    I’ll give this album a 8/10 !!

14. Spiderguy252

Spiderguy252 Awaiting LP in India

You said it. Not much Rob in the latter too.

One would think that after those awesome drum solos, you'd hear more of him.

15. dailycrumb

dailycrumb Active Member

on every song ive heard ive heard LOUD drums! why are people saying there are no drums? Is it all drum machine things? That would be dissapointing. the beat was awesome on catalyst and that was by the man himself

16. ChuckCheese

ChuckCheese Did somebody order some cheese? LPA VIP

You fail this much:
    [​IMG]

17. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

I very much enjoy Minutes to Midnight. Provided, it isn't all that groundbreaking, but it is a great step into getting out of the dark-void known as Nu-Metal, which has been dead for years. A Thousand Suns goes even farther away from their Nu-Metal roots, which is very exciting for me.

18. dailycrumb

dailycrumb Active Member

oo my albums dispatched. cools. kept myself from getting leak but heard wretches catalyst and waiting. catalyst is the best one. waiting is great but missing.. instruments :p and wretches is ok but not the best

19. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I hope you aren't being serious.

20. cloudscream

cloudscream Static

Of course I am not. :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.