Projected A Thousand Suns Sales

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Sep 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hazuki

hazuki Well-Known Member

I'm just worried that TreySongz (who?) will get the #1 spot.. I just have a bad feeling about it lol.

2. Ace31

Ace31 Well-Known Member

You really should post more often.

3. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

He's some generic R&B singer. His CD is 98% sex ballads/shit & 2% of decent music, which he owes a lot of thanks to Nicki Minaj for IMO.

4. @LP2K12

@LP2K12 Est. 2K12

I'm not worried about TreySongz, mostly because I really don't think Linkin Park is that worried about it. I think this album has already proven itself. It's selling. It may not be up the the standards of years past, but the industry has changed. The tour is going to sell, the album is amazing and in my opinion the guys still have a long and vibrant career ahead of them if they want to work for it.

5. lachina128

lachina128 Well-Known Member

It's not a surprise that Eminem and Drake would have better sales than LP, Eminem's comeback was hyped up since the release/leak of Not Afraid and Drake has been getting a lot of promotion and hype for the past 2 years. I can honestly say that out of the 5 pre-set radio stations I have in my car, 2 or 3 of them would be playing either eminem or drake at any given moment whereas the catalyst would get OCCASIONAL radio play from 2 stations...and ONLY those 2 radio stations. Another factor is that hip-hop/rap is way more mainstream now than rock. One good example of that is the VMAs. Now I know that mtv rarely plays music nowadays but they're a pretty good indicator of what's "popular music" nowadays and most of the performers and nominees were in the hip-hop/rap genre. With all that said and the whole itunes/rhapsody factor, I'm proud of LP for having another #1 selling album and I'm glad that I was able to contribute to that. I can't expect anything more.

6. Ant

Ant Ambient

Eminem is in a more popular genre that is generally met with front-loaded sales.

7. misery

misery Well-Known Member

To be fair, I'm a Facebook fan of a lot of artists that I don't buy records from.. in fact there's only two bands (three if you count Dead By Sunrise) that I have bought records from in the past like two years (one of them being Linkin Park yesterday :p)

8. The Messenger

The Messenger Active Member

I know this thread is about album sales, but I really don’t think that the sales numbers are very important to the band. I’m sure they want it to sell well, and are curious about the numbers, but by no means are the sales numbers the driving force behind this album. They look at this album as a piece of art, a “journey”, as I have heard in numerous interviews. I think this album is a masterpiece, and those that don’t like it I feel were just caught off guard by the sound of the album, or feel that the band has changed too much for their liking… and that is fine.

I am so proud to be a Linkin Park fan for a lot of reasons. One of those reasons is the growth that the band has shown in each album. When Hybrid Theory came out most members of the band were in their early twenties and had probably been feeling the emotions expressed in that album for years. If they had tried to have Hybrid Theory Part 2, to appease some of the “hardcore old LP fans”, it would have come across as fake. You simply don’t have the same emotions that you did when you were 21, to when you are in your mid-thirties and are now international rock stars.

Another reason that I don’t think sales numbers are that important to the band is because they put the entire freaking album up on their myspace page before the album was released! Not to mention, the entire making of DVD was online as well, and Shinoda even tweeted about it for fans to check it out. Would they do this if they were concerned about album sales? I think they are so proud of the album and want everyone to hear it, and if you don’t like it that is totally fine with them.

Phoenix mentioned something at the end of the making of Minutes to Midnight DVD about that album. He said something like you might not like the album, but this is the best we can do right now. I truly believe that is the same for this album. You might not like it, but they have pushed themselves really hard to make an album that THEY are proud of. I’m sure they would be fine with selling 250K the first week as opposed to 500K as long as they are true to their artistic and musical goals, and I believe that they were. Sorry, sometimes I ramble away from the topic but I’m so freaking in love with this album and I wish “hardcore LP fans” who think the album is terrible would realize that maybe they aren’t LP fans, and are maybe more hardcore fans of a genre that LP evolved from.

9. Elcirith

Elcirith Active Member

You have just delivered a very powerful message

10. Gman2887

Gman2887 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I feel like I've been saying that for a very, very long time. I'm glad someone else feels the same.

Nu-Metal was simply a place Linkin Park came from, it never defined them. From the beginning they never wanted to be defined. So once audiences found a label to put on them they moved away from it. Seemed like the logical thing to do once everyone found a way to, "put a label on it. Try to create something so they can water it down."

11. fido

fido Active Member

The entire album and DVD was already leaked before that on torrents so it wouldnt matter mate

12. Flozuki

Flozuki LPA VIP LPA VIP

Come on, the LP-community is huge and perhaps someone else here likes her ;-)

13. arbaks

arbaks Well-Known Member

lp has been a bigger band since the beggining

DONT MAKE UP EXCUSES THIS SALES ARE DISSAPOINTING...

and by the way i really like ATS and downloaded from itunes so im not a hater

14. Hybrid_theory_110

Hybrid_theory_110 Member

i m a big fan of their old stuff.b8 i liked m2m.at first it was hard to accept it as a linkin park album.b8 after sometimes i was used to it and loved some of the songs.b8 ats is too much 4 me.this is the only lp album that i won't buy.

15. Sparrow

Sparrow Member

Whether or not the sales are low compared to older albums, they still may have the number 1 spot. Which means in my mind that relatively all album sales are actually comparetively low!

Saying 4 consecutive albums have the number one spot? F**k I'd take that anyday.

Hybrid Theory didnt even debut @ number one when it first came out.. says something doesnt it. Espesially when it sold MOUNTAINS!!

16. arbaks

arbaks Well-Known Member

HT isnt a a good example because it was a debut album, nobody knew who they were, they build their fanbase from zero

Meteora sold 840K+ then MTM sold 620K+ in their first week

so taking into account the decline in cd sales in general this shouldve projected around 400-500k or at least 300k+

this first week is WAAAAY low wich means that they will have to expand to a new audience that has never listened to them before to achieve the same amount of success LP had in the past decade...

WICH I HOPE THEY WILL BECAUSE ATS IS VERY SOLID ALBUM IMHO...

17. hybrid.theory7

hybrid.theory7 Well-Known Member

I wonder what Minus has got to say he was like ats is better than HT

18. NateXY

NateXY I was by your side, powerless.

Just because ATS didn't have many sales in the first week, doesn't make the album shit. Edit: Lol I just realized you weren't saying it was shit :p MY BAD.
    It's just because of the pretentious douches who don't see how fucking awesome this album is, that's why it had less sales.
    Lets hope it scores more sales in the weeks to come :D

19. AndydLP

AndydLP Well-Known Member

Thats your choice. Maybe with the time spent not listening to ATS, you can practise your spelling. Just a thought!
    What the F... are you trying to say when you say "b8"? If its the word 'but' then shame on you!

20. Meryl_

Meryl_ Well-Known Member

People buy albums when they feel that the songs are good and they want to support an artist. The thing is, beside his hardcore fanbase (which 50% didn't like the album and won't be buying it) LP doesn't have a strong popular interest. People will mostly buy singles and the album but after more singles will be released. And I think the bad critics had an impact, unfortunately people don't take the time to check themselves if they like something or not. It's like for movies, if critics tell people the movie is bad, there's a high percentage of chances that the movie will fail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.