Linkin Park A Thousand Suns Press Round-Up

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Sep 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    merrillmind

merrillmind Well-Known Member

I have to all bands from all decades so I stick by what I said and for overall just beingable to sing anything Chester has basically anyone beat especially TOOLs lead singer not even close made me lol but nice try he can sing but Chester was born to sing

merrillmind

LOL TOOLS guy is shit compared to Chester he can literally sing ANYTHING!!! I have listened to all music all kinds the singer of TOOL can do alot of things not all and thats where Chester leaves most in the dust pure raw talent the 2 greatest rock singers since 1999 hands down are CHESTER BENNINGTON and MATT BELLAMY listen to QWERTY live and prove me wrong then listen to CAVE or NEWBORN by Matts band MUSE and again yours and all arguments will be squashed Chesters vocals will be forever praised and never equaled and Chester could sing any TOOL song better than Maynard who can sing but not near as good as Chester LINKIN PARK!!!!!!!!

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

The capitalization of band names is irritating.

QWERTY isn't even Chester's best vocal performance.

Also, Matt Bellamy came onto the music scene before 1999, making your point moot.

Chester, while being a great singer, is nowhere NEAR the best of his time. I'd get into this argument but I've done enough winning for the day and will just politely move my thoughts away from your horrible grammar and lack of punctuation and facilitate moving the thread back on topic.

I really liked the interview with Dave, despite it retreading on some old territory. It was interesting to read a little more about the creation of Blackout.

Tweak

Tweak Well-Known Member

Chester's legacy will be his voice. If screaming is going to ruin his legacy if think he should stop screaming. A Thousand Suns proved to many fans that Linkin Park songs do not need Chester to scream to make them effective in transfering the bands emotion to the listener. Iridesent was the first Linkin Park song to actually move me emotionally. Linkin Parks biggest hits don't even have screaming in them (In the End, Breaking the Habit, What I've Done(There the big 3 IMO)).

I end like this. Linkin Park, for far to long have relied on screaming to set the mood of the song. ATS has broken this cycle of screaming. I for one am excited for the prospect of a more musically deep Linkin Park.

The Messenger

The Messenger Active Member

I agree with the others that have said whatever keeps that amazing voice around the longest! If he has to stop doing some of the more difficult songs live, I am totally fine with that. I listened to the Breakfast with Linkin Park audio files the other day, and it sounds like Blackout will be a nightmare for him live(no surprise there). I think he has the most amazing voice that I've ever heard. The range of songs that he pulls off is pretty amazing. I think Shinoda said that he challenges anybody to cover the songs Chester does and make them sound anything like him. I'd love to see that!!

Dex

Dex New Member

You guys are right. Teachers like Melissa Cross teach the techniques you use to "scream" properly, which is actually just a way of using your throat differently than to singing without causing it damage.
    Chester did start screaming before these techniques started to be developed, and it's possible he has already developed nodules and other things on his vocal chords from years of screaming before those techniques could have been used.
    Even the possibility of that is a good reason for him to give it a rest for at least a while anyway, because every nodule you develop hinders your vocal chords ability to press together, and impairs your voice permanently.
    Singing is a safer way to preserve his voice in the long term, considering his professional history.

I do also agree that if he feels he has moved past the point that he feels it isn't suitable in the music he makes, that it will not make the music be any less incredible.
    I personally think that the more creative ways LP come up with using each of their talents, in a way that is as cohesive as it has been in the past, there is more possibility for endurance than if they continued to stay as they were previously.
    Hanging on to the past is what LP are trying not to do, I'm going to go into anything they choose to do creatively with the same mindset, and give it a chance, even if it means no more screaming.

Also, I dig Tool, but Maynard uses his voice in different ways to Chester, they are just as talented as each other, but Chester does widen his range and therefore has control over a higher range than Maynard. Plus he's not a dork. Said with love.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
    merrillmind

"QWERTY" is by far one of the toughest vocals on record by bany singer the transition between raw brutal gutteral aggression into the perfect high pitch of the other words is just awe inspring to hear just like given up its his ability to do both that puts him above anyone else. Also I'm well aware that Matt Bellamy started before the year 2000 but having been to close to the end of the 90s its unfair to loop him in with 90s singers but seeing how most of his career has been in the 00s he more deserves the last decade not the one before that. And BTW I have studied music and Im a vocal major at one of the worlds best schools for music I know what I'M talking about I highly doubt that YOU do I will be taking my WIN now.

Dex

Dex New Member

QWERTY may have been a difficult song to record, but that doesn't really make you an expert on Chester's vocal range and how much it took him to create that performance, because you haven't asked Chester. You can only assume it from you own opinions. You claim to have studied something that you can't prove you have, and you've expected everyone to take your opinion as law without any logical reasoning.
    Self righteousness isn't proof of anything.

Therefore,

[​IMG]
    Neil Patrick Harris on a unicorn. Your argument is irrelevant.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

I'm pretty sure your voice can still naturally change as you age. You guys are acting like Chester's voice is done for. I think he's still a technically sound vocalist, just like he always has been. His tone is just changing a little.

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

Just added a new video to the news post from a couple days ago. Check it out, it's a pretty nice short interview:

Shockhound Video Interview With Brad & Chester - Click Here To Watch:

Watch a video interview where Chester talks about The Messenger, being a father, the positive meaning behind A Thousand Suns and touring whilst writing music to put out more music more often.

travz21

Also, if he quit smoking, don't you think that would also have an effect on his screaming voice? Maybe his smoking gave it a different tone.

Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

Congratulations, from here on out I'll never be able to take anything you say seriously. :chuck:

You can't take a WIN. You have to earn it, which you haven't. Maybe if you ask nicely Minus will give you lessons.

When I say range I'm not just talking about high notes. MJK probably has more control than Chester in general & is also powerful on high notes. Skip to 7:55). Maynard has shown a far greater variety in his vocals, inflections, low to high, tone, etc, than Chester has. Chester tends to stick to the same few tricks a lot. That's why I brought up MJK in the first place, I'd like to see Chester experiment more.

And they're both big dorks. :p

Take Hetfield, his voice has gotten lower & bassier since the 80's, and continues to change to this day. But there are singers who can still do today what they did 20-30 years ago. Just depends on the person.

Wasop

Wasop Active Member

Jesus Christ, people talking about Tool being better than LP? What is this, 2003?

Tool are shit.

travz21

10,000 Days was one of their best records, imo. Once LP can start making 10+ minute songs, I'll compare the two.

Wasop

Wasop Active Member

Wait, long songs = better songs?

Well, LP released an A Thousand Suns version that is one, continuous song. So, by your theory, LP shits all over Tool.

travz21

Lol. Ok, bud. You sound really smart. It's hard to argue with you.

Wasop

Wasop Active Member

;)

Tool are clearly a very talented band, but I just think they are not very good. Seem them live twice and not been impressed. Its not the technicality of it all, I enjoy bands who are much more technical than Tool, they just bore me.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I play violin, viola, cello, piano, guitar, and compose music along with some minor vocal duties in some occasions. When you've been raised on the alto clef like I have (viola originally) and have to play symphony music while constantly converting treble or bass clef into alto because of how you were musically trained, THEN you can claim that I don't know anything about music.

Which by the way, I do. You're not the only one that has studied music. You haven't won anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.