Internet Blacklist in the U.S?

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by lachina128, Sep 29, 2010.

lachina128

lachina128 Well-Known Member

There's a law proposal in the U.S. called The Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act (COICA) that would create an internet blacklist similar to the ones in China and Iran, the only difference is that they want to actually get rid of sites they censor altogether instead of just blocking them. I'd like to know what your thoughts are on this and if you guys agree that such a bill should be passed.

Here's a link that discusses and explains the proposal in more detail.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-segal/stop-the-internet-blackli_b_739836.html

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

This was an election issue in Australia. Fortunately its been backed down on for now...

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Unless the Internet Gaming Law passes, I'm assuming most or all of the poker sites would be banned if this blacklist actually happens. I'd be out of a job and would have to move to another country to play, which would be a hassle. I like it here for some reason.

Hellions

Hellions Banned

It will be allowed to happen, passed by older, out of touch members of congress who don't understand the internet and don't care to unless it will make them money, or push their "moral values" on others (even then, really just money)

Freedom of information and speech will not last. It's the most beautiful and pure of things, wasted on the most corruptible and selfish creatures.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

This sort of thing makes me sad.

lachina128

lachina128 Well-Known Member

I also think this proposal is absolutely horrible but I wonder if it will have any considerable opposition considering that all those members of congress plus hollywood (because lets face it, they're probably targeting piracy from sites like piratebay and the like) are ALL in favor for such a law. It saddens and worries me that if such a law were to be passed, what else will they come up with that will violate our rights to freedom of information and freedom of speech...

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
    Theazninvasion68

Theazninvasion68 It's like blood to a vampire, our tragic desire. LPA Super VIP

This. China has one, and I can tell you..

... Don't. Do. It.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

There is absolutely no way that this could possibly get passed.

Filibust time!

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I pretty much voted (rather impulsively, I might add) for the first party who promised that they opposed the filter. :x

It sounds a little melodramatic, but I feel, you go down the road of censoring the Internet and civil rights will be a distant memory before long.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Most of the people in power are way too old to do their jobs right.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

"They hate us for our freedom!"

SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

Okay, if you don't like the way Congress is voting, stop voting Republicans into office. Surely Americans have realized by now the reason their freedoms have mysteriously disappeared is because of Bush and his ilk?

rcm034

rcm034 Well-Known Member

This proposed law is ridiculous. Even if you ignore the bill itself, the precedent it sets is dangerous. Restricting information flow is not a direction this country needs to start down. What will this lead to, censoring sports blogs because "any accounts of this broadcast is forbidden without the express written consent of (network) and (sports league)" or shutting down youtube?

I just wanted to point out that this bill was introduced by a democrat, and 10/16 co-sponsors are democrats. Also, Bush and a few others might be f*cking crazy, but in any large group you are gonna get people like that. I agree with you that bush and friends are not the best people to be running a country, but there are some republicans who do a good job. The first republican president was Abraham Linkin after all.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

republican, democrat, liberal, conservative, it doesn't matter anymore. they all cross over into each other and absorb ideals.

anyway, this bill doesn't matter. if you think they aren't already doing this, then you're only kidding yourself. it's the government. if they want it done in the future, that means it's already been going on for at least a handful of years.

sotrix

sotrix @lplive

It's been stuck in committees since it was introduced and will remain so for the foreseeable future.

No need to panic just yet. Plus, there will always be ways to circumvent it.