Rutgers Student Secretly Filmed Having Sex Commits Suicide

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Amanda, Sep 30, 2010.

Amanda

Amanda RIP Chester LPA Super VIP

Source: Rutgers Student Secretly Filmed Having Sex Commits Suicide - Fox News

As a student at Rutgers University and an active member of BiGLARU (Bisexuals, Gays, Lesbians and Allies of Rutgers University) this tragedy upsets me deeply. A young man with infinite potential is now gone due to an awful "prank" pulled by two other students.

In my eyes, this was hardly a "prank". Pranks are light-hearted, care-free, and hold no ill-intentions. THIS was an attack against a person.

Do I believe that these students knew Tyler would commit suicide? No. Absolutely not. Do I think they should be held accountable for their actions? Absolutely.

It is my firm belief that Tyler was perfect in the eyes of whatever God or Goddess you choose to believe in. I only wish he knew that on this side.

RIP Tyler Clementi. May the afterlife be graced with the beautiful sounds of your violin and the shining radiance of your soul.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

It pains me to even think that people do such things. What a tragedy. :(

Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

Oh that's so sad :(

I agree with you, this was not a prank, it goes way beyond a prank/joke.

Did you know him?

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Pretty much.

Amanda

I did not know him personally, no.
    I had heard him play with the Rutgers Orchestra though. He was a very talented young man.
    It sickens me that things had to turn out this way.

Hellions

Hellions Banned

Charge them for invasion of privacy, unauthorized filming, etc. but holding them accountable for his suicide? No. It's tragic that it happened but it was his own thought process, his own decision, and his own actions. Just because it's a terrible thing doesn't mean he loses responsibility and it should be shifted on to people who pulled a (very stupid) "prank". I'm pretty sure they weren't thinking "Hey, let's get him on video, then he'll jump off a bridge or something!"

People let emotion cloud their judgement way too much. Charge them for the prank? Hell yes. Hold them responsible for the person's decision? What? No. What the fuck.

Amanda

If you actually read what I wrote you'll notice this is exactly what I said. ;)

Meryl_

Meryl_ Well-Known Member

From what you said about the group you are in, was he gay and in the closet? Asking cause I don't understand why he would kill himself over that, I mean a lot of people post videos of them having sex on the web so it isn't THAT tragic...

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

It's not the fact that he was in the closet, but more that someone posted a VERY private video publicly, that wasn't filmed with his consent in the first place.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

I don't think being gay/in the closet is what it comes down to. It was a severe invasion of privacy , something not a lot of people should or would react to lightly. You never know how a person would react in a situation like this. Sadly in this guy's case he reacted in the worst way possible.

Schen The Genius

Schen The Genius Former LPU Mod LPA VIP

I just heard about this from a friend of mine but I didn't know exactly what she was talking about. I'm surprised i didn't hear about this sooner since I'm pretty close, that sucks.

--RS

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

I don't see how this is worse than any other bad pranks. It's not their fault the guy killed himself. They should be charged with invasion of privacy and that's it. It sucks he killed himself, but it's his own fault he died and nobody elses.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

Fox News alluded to the fact that he was masturbating, not having sex.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

You know, considering she GOES to that school, I'm sure she knows better than Faux News.

Dean

Well, I would say that if they did it in order to victimise him in some way (not saying they definitely did, but it seems to at least be implied) that's where it stops being a prank and it becomes harrasment and bullying, and when it comes to that they should have known that doing it probably would have at least left him feeling hurt and emotionally damaged, if not going as far as he did. So assuming that really is how it happened, they should definitely shoulder their share of the blame in my view.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
    travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Every prank is victimizing someone.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Not necessarily. There are pranks done in good fun and there are pranks done in bad taste. If I were to put laxative in your nutrition shake, as terribly embarrassing and inconvenient it may be, it's something you can laugh about later.

This is compared to the "hey, I put your private sex life on broadcast on the internet and invited random people you may or may not know to witness it" that happened here. There are so many factors here that could lead to what was inevitably the end result.

For example, we don't know whether his parents knew of his sexuality. He could come from a conservative family and be very shamed that this got out. The idea that you're out on the internet due to the machinations of someone you thought you could trust deals with a lot of psychological issues. We have no idea how this could've affected him.

He may have also had low self-esteem or been depressed beforehand. I usually don't talk about my personal life but I have a history of unchecked medical depression due to my parents not willing to pay for medication. I can assure you that I've thought of, and at times actually attempted to commit suicide for reasons much less serious and drastic than this.

The prank was with malicious intent. I wouldn't expect anyone to do this as a joke, more so considering that this wasn't the first time it happened. It clearly states that the roommate discovered that he had this kind of access to Tyler's personal life. A normal person (or rather, what I assume to be a normal person) would, after the initial tweet and discovery, point out that he was in fact able to watch these events. Instead, he waited until the situation occurred again and took advantage of it. It's exploitation and definite malicious intent.

As this happened twice, it's clear that that the goal here was exploitation, embarrassment, and ill will. I could MAYBE understand if it happened only the one time and the events played out as they did. I'd still harbor resentment towards the responsible pair, but benefit of the doubt comes into play. The point is it DIDN'T happen once. It happened twice.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Dean

Thank you.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator