Rutgers Student Secretly Filmed Having Sex Commits Suicide

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Amanda, Sep 30, 2010.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

It's 11:30AM and I haven't been to sleep yet. That article is too long to read right now lol. I think it's about someone or a few people pretending to be someone else online and then basically destroying them. That's in league with relentless bullying and victimizing. When it happens way more than a couple times and you're intent is to hurt the person in some way, then it's a major deal. I still don't think they should be responsible for her suicide. They should be charged with abuse and all that stuff, though. I don't think it's anywhere near the level of a one or two time prank that causes someone to kill themselves. Not even close.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I'm going to stray from the topic here and focus on this horribly insensitive comment on suicide.

You can't just group all of us (us being people who have considered, attempted, or actually committed suicide) into a little box. Depression is a very complex thing. In my case, I couldn't (and honestly, still can't) help thoughts of suicide as it's a chemical imbalance in my body.

Depression isn't something you can look at and go, "Oh I'm depressed. I'll stop it now." As hard as you try, sometimes you're just sad and pissed at the world. There are points where it honestly feels like the right thing to do is to just rid yourself of the filth that you believe yourself to be.

I know from personal experience that in the mind of a clinically depressed person suicide sounds perfectly logical. I know there are arguments otherwise and that it's NOT the logical thing to do but when you're in that zone it makes sense. It's how your brain works. There's all that self-loathing and the thoughts of how you have brought nothing but misery upon your family, friends, and anyone who may be associated with you. That the world would be better without you in it. You start thinking of all the money your parents would save if they wouldn't have to take care of you. How your friends would live better lives without having to worry if you're okay. That you aren't deserving of the blessed friends that life has given you. Or that urge to just want to close your eyes and never wake up ever again. When you're clinical depressed (and let it go untreated as I have for most of, if not all of, my life), those are the glasses you view the world with. That mindset is natural.

I spent years perfecting fake smiles. Acting happy so as not to worry the people I love. I created this ideal person in front of others to throw my friends off the scent that something is wrong with me. Because I don't want to worry them. Notice I've changed to the present tense. Because this is still happening. Even today.

I know I've gotten off onto a huge tangent. I apologize. My point is that you can't judge everyone who has entertained suicide or actually committed it. You don't know how s/he feels. You can't understand his/her mindset. Because people like me view the world through a completely different pair of glasses. For a lot of us, me included, it isn't an errant thought. It's persistent. It's there every fucking day. Every god damned minute. It's a battle to get through the day without doing something that you would consider stupid.

So please, back off when calling people who commit suicide stupid. Sometimes in our brains, that's the only way out.

Fuck. This is why I don't like talking about my personal life.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Actually, that sort of helps prove the point I'm about to try and make.

Obviously dying is a point of no return, and if you cross it there's no turning back, no chance for redemption from whatever demons led you to that point. Getting to the point where you feel as though you irrefutably want to die generally isn't easy, not to mention it isn't always the refuge of the mentally healthy, and I've never really understood the logic behind people's claims that it is. If anything, deciding that you have nothing left to live for, rightly or wrongly, is a decision that carries a fuckload of weight. If you feel there's always something to live for that's all the more reason to sympathise with people who are on that path and those who've already reached the end, rather than scorn them.

Amanda

Amanda RIP Chester LPA Super VIP

I recieved the following email from the President of the University today:

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I really hate to bump posts for the sake of bumping, but for everyone involved I feel this needs to be read. It's concerning travz21's thoughts on people who commit suicide. I urge you all to please read this, as this will be the last thing I have to say on the subject. Thank you.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

Wow, dude. You don't have to be such a dick. I was watching Fox News when the story broke, and the anchor alluded to the guy being filmed masturbating. I wasn't saying she was wrong, jesus christ. Why don't you calm it down?

Hellions

Hellions Banned

Again the prank did not lead to his death. The man's PERSONAL, CONSCIOUS DECISION to jump off a building did.

It's like I brought up privately with somebody in this thread; Let's say hypothetically the other guy is held responsible and criminally charged for the other's suicide. What if, knowing he's going to prison, he decides to kill himself.

Does the prosecutor go to jail? :eek:

It's a double standard. Because some young kid offed himself, the logical facts like the undeniable CHOICE he made, are ignored, and people jump to hold the "pranksters" accountable.

If you say some kid killing himself is the direct result of a prank you might as well say a kid shooting up his school is the direct result of a video game.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
    Dean

You think. It's a question of whether or not what happened drove him to it, and whether or not there was malicious intent there.

Hellions

Hellions Banned

A lot of people drive people to do a lot of things. Everybody has a reason for something. How many cheating girls would be sent to prison for the suicides of guys they fucked over? And vice versa. How many teachers giving life altering exams or study courses would be sent to prison? etc. etc.

Amanda

You guys are all arguing circular logic. "He killed himself because they did something so he killed himself because they did something and then he killed himself."

The bottom line here is that an 18 year old young man is dead and the culprit is intolerance.

Hellions

Hellions Banned

I'm not saying what they did is right. In fact until I read the remarks made and realized the guy was apparently homosexual (The article you posted seemed vague until the end) I was taking this even more likely. I was going to write it off as somebody acting irrationally and stupidly killing themselves, but when I realized where he was coming from and put myself in his shoes I understood. The way homosexuals are viewed and treated in society lead to incidents like this and it's completely sickening.

However the others shouldn't be held responsible for the death. Punished by law for invasion of privacy, filming/broadcasting without permission, expelled from school, absolutely. Not for his decision to kill himself, as understandable as it may have been.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

I can't read through 3 pages of this, so I'm going to assume. I'm going to assume this kid didn't have any prior depression problems, and never thought of committing suicide. I'm going to assume the humiliation of the entire school (?) watching him have sex with another man drove him to jump off that bridge. Correct me if I'm wrong, I very well could be.

If I'm right, though, his roommate and that chick should be held responsible. Pranks are one thing, but this just seems very malicious and plain hurtful. They should be expelled, most definitely, but I also think they should serve some kind of jail-time. I'm not talking 25 to life or anything, but a few months in a teenage corrective facility would do just fine. People that do this kind of shit are the scum of the earth, and it's just high school shenanigans at an age and place where you're supposed to be growing into an adult.

I could be wrong about the circumstances, though.

Dean

Seriously? Cheating on someone or failing someone's exam is hardly the same thing as what's potentially happened here. I'm not saying that his death is directly their fault but if it turns out they were doing it with the intent of fucking him over, and it wasn't just a prank gone wrong, they deserve to shoulder their fair share of the blame.

Amanda

This x100000000

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I'm right with you on that one.

Hellions

Hellions Banned

I don't personally know enough about what happened just from reading this thread. If somebody just turned on a webcam and thought it would be funny, no it's not malicious. If it was done from a homophobic stance, it was. The Twitter twats just point out that he's with a "dude", and don't necessarily make any point for or against that fact clear.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

"Yeah, ha-ha, let's set up a secret hidden webcam and film my roommate having sex with a guy and broadcast it to the whole school. IT'LL BE A RIOT!"

Are you kidding me right now?

Amanda

I feel as though the sarcastic "yay" was enough.

Hellions

Hellions Banned

[youtube]3KXsRpakErU[/youtube]

lol wat

$pvcxGhxztCasey

yeah, let's bring some more jokes into this topic and run it into the ground why don't ya.