Jun 21, 1993 (Age: 30)

Share This Page

Decay

Well-Known Member, Male, 30

Decay was last seen:
Sep 2, 2022
    1. m_macdonald
      m_macdonald
      The reason I say this is because you can then "jam" with the samples in the same way that you can pick up a guitar or keyboard or drums and jam random stuff. This way, you can treat your sampler like a musical instrument and play around with it to see what stuff you can come up with. Sometimes the best stuff we come up with just happens when we're fiddling around with an instrument, and we stumble upon something cool. See if you can find a really easy, quick, fun way to play back samples by hand, you'll be surprised with what you'll accidentally stumble upon. Sometimes you just need a couple of chords that you've accidentally come across, and suddenly you have an idea for a whole song. Just something to try out!
    2. m_macdonald
      m_macdonald
      I have a suggestion for something you might find fun to do (you might already have tried something like this). Pick a track you like that has some cool sounds in it. Go through the song and chop out bits that you like (vocal samples, drum beats, guitar chords). Then - this is the important bit. Find a way where you can play these samples BY HAND. Maybe you can do this on Maschine on your iPod? Or maybe you have a sampler in FL Studio or something that you can control with a MIDI keyboard or USB device? Anyway, the important bit is, it needs to be something you can play back by hand.
    3. m_macdonald
      m_macdonald
      Love the Gas Station track man! You've used the samples and loops in a way that has a really cool, old hip hop vibe to it, nicely done! Do you like hip hop turntablism at all? You might enjoy this film, I have it on DVD. Even if you're not a "turntablist" yourself (I'm not), it's a pretty cool hip hop documentary, I really like it. Your track reminded me of the soundtrack. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj8pau8LZrk&feature=related

Mediafire sounds like a good idea, let me know if you ever upload something there and I'll have a listen. I'm afraid I don't own an iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad, so I can't help with your Maschine problem, but I reckon there's bound to be a reasonably straightforward way of doing it, maybe over USB, or even sending the file in an email to yourself from your phone?

Anyway, keep at it, there's some cool sounding stuff here!
    4. m_macdonald
      m_macdonald
      I apologize again for not getting back to you - I really am bad at sorting through emails and replying to people, it's pretty rude of me.

Anyway, you have some new beats you say? I must hear some! When you get a chance, pick out some beats you like and send them to me if you want. I'm happy to have a listen and make any suggestions. Most of the time I'll just bob my head and go "That is DOPE!" but I'll happily give feedback on any tracks you want me to hear :P

I'm not sure what the best way to do this is... are you able to send files via PM on LPA? If not I'll give you my email address.
    5. m_macdonald
      m_macdonald
      Hey man, really sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I thought that I would get an email notification from LPA anytime someone sent me a message on here, but it seems not! I've only just checked my messages just now.

Anyway, I've downloaded your track and given it a quick listen. Sounds really cool! Great work, really good to see you've started experimenting with sampling. I think the kick drum sound and the kick drum pattern/rhythm in particular sounds very much like something Mike himself would use, for example in a Fort Minor track, or on a Collision Course LP/Jay-Z track like Numb/Encore.

I'm a bit busy this week, I'm rushing to meet a deadline for a project I'm mixing for a client. Give me a couple of days and I'll listen through your beat more carefully and offer you a bit of feedback and any comments/suggestions I have. Until then, keep it up! Nice work :)
    6. zwieR.Z.
      zwieR.Z.
      Yes, it's me. Thanks!
  • About

Birthday:
    Jun 21, 1993 (Age: 30)

Signature

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/D3cay_

Thanks for choosing me as runner up for LPA's MMU (May 2012, June 2013, November 2013 and November 2014): The Raid Mashup: Lawless (Video)
    Skin To Bone Remix: Rust
    Where'd You Go Remix: Come Back
    War Remix: Disorder

My Soundcloud profile: http://soundcloud.com/d3cay