30 Seconds To Mars become Kings And Queens

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by 2xPutt, Sep 30, 2009.

barnes80

barnes80 Well-Known Member

I'm 2 listens in and basically what everyones already said:

It seems a bit over produced. I woulda liked something grainier sounding and more screaming. It defiantly does remind me of Angels and Airwaves over produced sound.

The sections in songs with all the people singing is just dumb. I mean, in the single it was cool, but taking that element and putting it in other songs is just lazy and uncreative.

Autotune sucks, but I do kinda like Hurricane for now. Once it gets air time and becomes over played I probably won't be able to stand it but whatever.

Some good and some bad songs on it but for the most part I'm enjoying it quite well. Since nothing else worthwhile probably comes out in February I'll probably buy it. I usually limit my music buying to 1 cd a month at most and thats only if the cd blows my mind. If I were to buy every cd I might listen to now and then I'd be in the negatives.

But this will deff be in my top 20

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

I quite like it

Vox Populi means Voice of the People so the group vocals fit I think. The lyrics seem to have a theme of changing the world with antitheistic sentiments lapping at the edges of everything. Is a good evolution from their last CD I think, without totally betraying their sound. I am quite liking it.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Is anyone a little creeped out by L490? :lol:

Nick

Nick Great Job! LPA Super VIP

I couldn't really get into it. Sadly.

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

same here

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I do agree that it seem Jared was a little bit overambitious with this one.

I've already replaced the cd version of "This Is War" with the version from Dragon Age that doesn't have the stupid intro.

I may just delete L490 altogether because it's a pain to listen to.

Other than that I really like a lot of the album. It's just not as complete as the first two albums.

Ant

Ant Ambient

I've listened to the whole album about 4 or 5 times straight through now, and it's growing on me slightly, but my original statements still remain.

Some of the songs are more catchy than others (I love "Kings and Queens", "Closer to the Edge" and "Vox Populi"), but most of the rest are just not that musically engaging. I mean, I'm sure people will argue that they're works of art, and they definitely are... but the only thing is they're not entertaining to listen to. I hate getting beat over the head with how "epic" or "amazing" a song is because it's intricate -- if it doesn't entertain my ears, who cares?

I'd say they're on the right path, as it seems like an evolution in terms of arrangements and such, they just need to make their next album more listenable and engaging.

ProjektXero

ProjektXero Well-Known Member

Ok so I just d/l'ed a "cdrip" of This is War and on this version of it on Hurricane there is no Kayne vocals at all. Instead of where Kayne would be singing its Jared singing it caught me off guard just listening to it because i was getting ready for the heart beat i need a heartbeat part and it was jared singing something totally different.

Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

Yeah, apparently Kanye's vocals were cut for the final product of the album. I just read that on another website just now. Interesting. I hope Kanye doesn't flip over that.

Iain

Iain i am a sloth LPA Super Member

He probably will, but ultimately, I think the album benefits from his absence.

Luke

Can I have the link to that website please? :)

Andrea

I saw it over on absolutepunk.net in the 30STM thread down in the replies section, various 30STM message boards and listened to the online streaming of the album and Kanye's vocals are not there.

SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

The song was ok. all I have to say if it's a fraction as good as Beautiful Lie we have a pretty good album on our hands. thats just me. Beautiful Lie is one of my favorite albums ever

Disturbedthoughts

Disturbedthoughts *Twitch*

Agreed. Kayne's part was just out of place on the album.

Luke

Even though I can't stand Kayne West, I actually prefer the version where he features simply because it gives an extra dimension to the song. I guess the majority of people were giving negative feedback about Kanye being on the album so they ditched his part. In a way is good to hear that they're listening to their fans but on the other hand it's a little disappointing that they didn't make that bold descision.

Ant

Ant Ambient

+1

Luke

read the whole interview here

Jared talks more about it to MTV

So their label screwed them again basically. That really fucking sucks but it's good to know it will be officially released some time.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
    Andrea

That's such a damn shame. Wow. *SMH*.

Ant

Ant Ambient

I still bought the album of course, and it definitely sounds far better than the leaked version. The mixing is far better and a lot of the ambient sounds are more prominent which definitely gives the songs more life.

Album's far better than I thought it was. It feels more like an album than "A Beautiful Lie", but there are still weak spots on it. I hate "L490", for example, and the album definitely gets weaker towards the end after a strong start/middle.

Still a good album.

Edit: "Stranger in a Strange Land" seems a lot different -- pretty sure the lyrics were significantly changed. I like it a lot more now.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
    SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

King and Queens has most def grown on me since I posted this. It's very very epic in my opinion and i can't get enough of it. AHHH! this is why I love 30STM. they are so great