9/11/01 NYC - My story

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Jadedjcbxnyc6981, Aug 24, 2011.

Jadedjcbxnyc6981

Jadedjcbxnyc6981 Active Member

In about 2 weeks, it will be the 10th anniversary of the worst terror attacks on US soil. It will be 10 years since NYC and the US changed. I can remember before 9/11 that the places that were getting attacked by terrorist were overseas, I'd thought that I'd never see the day in which my home city was attacked. Or feeling helpless and scared to death of thinking "is this the end of the world?".

I remember that day so vividly....It was a clear Tuesday morning, in which school had just started a few days prior. I was getting ready for work watching Ch. 7 (ABC here in the NYC area) and then the final shot was the city skyline (showing lower Manhattan like they always did). Little did I know that would be the last time that anyone would ever see that skyline or feel safe ever again........I was on my way to work, boarded the train and on the second stop noticed that we were not moving (when I commute, I listen to music to zone out everything) but the reactions on the faces of the passengers on that train made me stop what I was doing, I removed my headphones and thats when the conductor said it again "my wife just called me from our apartment in lower Manhattan, she said that a plane just hit the WTC". I was like "what??!!" and an image appeared in my head of the top of the building being on fire. The rest of the ride to work, I heard people speculating that it was an accident, but then again how could it be an accident? It was a clear day hardly any clouds in the sky......Remember this was 2001, we did not have Twitter or internet on our phones. When I finally got to my stop, I got off the train and ran towards my job since I knew that there was a TV and I can find out more information. When I got to my job I went into the CEO's office and he was watching it on the news, the image of people on the window ledges, the smoke.....I looked at him and he was pale, he did not say a word. I walked out of that office so confused and scared that I just broke down sobbing uncontrollably. My co-workers saw me and tried to console me but nothing worked (they had not seen the TV, for all they knew it was an accident).

A few minutes later while listening to the radio, another announcement comes on saying another plane has hit the the second tower of the WTC.....What the hell is going on? Then more reports, A plane just hit the Pentagon, another plane is missing and is said to be going to the Capitol Building.......Calls coming in from people reporting bomb threats at the Empire State Building.....My head was spinning in different directions....But the worst news was to come.......I worked with my older sister, by the time all the other things happened I guess I was in shock cause I was numb, My sister was keeping something from me....After seeing the second tower collapsing into the ground and the plume of smoke showering lower Manhattan and parts of Brooklyn, Staten Island and New Jersey, a co-worker pulled me to the side and said to me "Your sister needs you", I go to where she is and she's on the phone hysterical; I'm confused to whats going on, thats when our co-worker says to me "your dad was down there, he called your aunt to tell her he was fine but that the phone went dead around the same time the building collapsed"...the worst thing that could ever happen was happening to my family

The boss was going around talking to people trying to comfort them but I guess we were all in shock.....We left early that day since all means of transportation to and from the city was completely stopped. Our co-worker drove us home and it was so eery to see not a single car on the highway....and to see a huge smoke plume in the sky in the direction of the city was crazy.....we finally get home and we are still in shock not because of what happened in Manhattan but because we don't know where my dad is. At around 7pm I hear "hes home" I run outside and here's my father covered in ash/soot, he was a little red because of the heat. He collapsed on our stoop crying. I've never seen my dad cry but I was glad that he was safe, I was also thinking about the other families who would not have such a reunion like we did....He told us while he was working; he heard a plane flying really low to the point that it made the building he was in shake, he goes outside and sees the plane hit the building. His first instinct is to yell at everyone that was in front of his building to come inside to go to the basement, (he said that there were moms and nannies walking with children in their strollers, he grabbed them and told them to go to the basement. He works at a supermarket so he told everyone that was in the supermarket that once the doors were shut that no one was gonna go back outside unless the cops/firefighters told them to. He also told me that people were trying to go inside to by cameras so that they could take pictures of what was going on. The firefighters finally found them and evacuated them to Liberty State Park in NJ, they were taken there by boat. When they arrived there, that is when the buildings finally collapsed.

He told us that he was walking past homes and people were looking at him in shock because they knew he had just come from down there. A family saw him and offered him a place to stay for the night and freshen up. He thanked them for the generosity but just asked for a phone to call us to let us know that he was ok and that'd he find a way to get home.

I remember the Red Cross setting up blood drives because they thought that we'd find more survivors, but sadly NYC had more dead than alive that day.......

To think that it has been 10 yrs since that happened is mind boggling, NYC just experienced a small tremor yesterday afternoon and the only reason I knew of it was because a co-worker told me about it (our job is a certified bomb shelter that was made in the early 20th century, its the safest place to be) because someone text him and he followed it up on Facebook and Twitter. So much has changed in those 10 years, I know that I didn't lose my dad but I do feel somber on that day, because its seared into my head. The panic, the fear of not knowing what was going on.....

10 Years later its still hard to think about it. I talk to people about that day from time to time and hear different stories....When the memorial opens to the public next year, I will be there to pay my respects to all that had died that day just going to work....

R.I.P to all those who died on that terrible day

I was wondering if anyone else remembers that day and what you experienced........

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

What an incredible story. Thank you for sharing that with us, I'm happy to hear that your dad made it out alive as he is one of the lucky ones.

I'll post my story later today, but I just wanted to thank you first for posting yours :).

Jadedjcbxnyc6981

no problem its that its just so vivid and every year I get so sad on that day....

deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

Mine is nothing special really.

I was in the shower that morning getting ready for a job interview and remember coming out of the bathroom and seeing my dad crying, which is very rare.

I then looked on the TV and my heart sank. Didn't cry, but I immediately felt a deep pain inside of me.

For a few weeks afterwards I'd be at work and think about all those people that died and would try my best to not let it overcome me.

Can't remember any other time in my life where I felt that way.

Derek

I remember where I was when it happened too and what I was doing when it all took place. I had just woken up a little after the second plane had hit, and I walked downstairs to get myself some cereal. I saw my mom with her face glued to the TV in horror, and both of the towers were on fire. Even without reading the words "terrorist attack" I knew something was wrong, and I asked my mom what had happened. She told me that a plane had crashed into the first tower, and how the news originally thought it was a tourist plane that had mechanical issues and lost altitude crashing into the tower, until they saw the second jet fly into the tower live on air. We sat there in silence, not moving, mouths dropped in horror until the news broke that the Pentagon was attacked and that a plane crashed in Pennsylvania and that's when we started to panic. We weren't sure if they were going to attack Philadelphia (since that was inbetween DC and NYC) and my brother was living in center city Philly at the time so it was a really scary time. I basically was online in an LP chat with about 200-250 of my closest LP friends and we were all just scared that the world had gone to shit. Seeing the towers crash down still haunts me as one of the worst things I've ever witnessed in my lifetime. Every time they rebroadcast the coverage on CNN (in memory of the attacks) I still cannot believe I witnessed it happen live or that humankind could do this kind of attack. It's horrific and will always be one of the worst disasters in modern history.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

I was only in first grade. I have absolutely no memory of that day. I was at school and apparently the teachers were told not to say anything to us.

Thanks for sharing that story though. I've never actually read a story from a New Yorker.

Jadedjcbxnyc6981

I've spoken to people about this at my job (I work at Hard in times square) and when they want directions to ground zero they'll ask me about that day and I tell them. I think the more I talk to people about it, the better it will be for me to try and overcome the sadness and heart break I feel for those who died. Thanks for listening :)

HypnoToad

HypnoToad Glory to the HypnoToad! LPA VIP

I, too, was just in the first grade when it happened. I remember that I was home sick from school, and walked into the living room about 10 minutes after the first plane hit to see my mom watching all the live coverage on TV. I also remember the conversation I had with my mother after the South Tower collapsed:

"Where did the building go?"
    "It collapsed, sweetie."
    "What "collapsed" mean?"
    "It fell down, and it isn't there anymore"
    "Where there people in there?"
    "Yes"
    "Did they get out before it fell down?"
    "No, they didn't...they're with God now"

Derek

That breaks my heart. Such a big thing for you to have to fathom at such a young age.

Dusty

Dusty LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

I remember the day pretty well, almost like it was yesterday. I was 16 years old, 2 weeks from being 17, at the time. I had just finished a biology test when our teacher had turned on the TV with CNN covering the attacks. At first, we all thought that it was a horrible plane crash and nothing more. That is until the 2nd plane crashed into the 2nd tower. The only thing to break the silence in the classroom was the sounds of students crying in fear and others whispering the words "Oh my God...".

Out of nowhere I had a completely different outlook of the world around me. I went from just being a teenager in highschool without a care in the world, to being very afraid and scared of what the future might hold. It didn't help with rumors of wars and the possibility of more attacks. Funny how an event like this can make things like "Oh, I wish this girl like me" or "Man, what the hell is for lunch today?" seem so petty and pointless. Little things didn't matter anymore.

I think another thing that I will never forget that day is what had happened in my next class. After I had taken my seat, I will never forget my teacher coming into the room, sitting in his chair, and turning to face us all with his face in his hands as he tried to speak thourgh his tears. "The towers have fallen...". To this day, I still get goosebumps to this day when I think back to his words.

With the 10th anniversary of the attacks coming up I want to reach out to all those who have been touched by this horrible tragedy in our country's history and give my most heartfelt thoughts and prayers to them.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
    BlackedOut

BlackedOut Zero

I remember the beautiful weather, barely remember leaving school early, and a house that burned down the same day. Not much, but what i do remember is the strange feeling i got that day. I wish i remembered more, but i was really young. I do however remember seeing the awesome skyline with the WTC still standing from Liberty island in August, 2001.

R.I.P the victims of 9/11

Edit: Living in New Jersey, it's pretty crazy knowing how scared people where who live here, with NYC,PA, and Washington DC being so close. Especially New York City.

Thank you all for sharing your stories. I was 5 when it happened. I was in South Korea, and unfortunately I don't remember much. However I remember everyone was in shock, and I was watching the news with my brother. Everything on the TV was cancelled.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

I remember the day. I was 12 and living in India at that stage. Mum had gone out for the night and left our maid Maria to care of me. I turned the tele on about 8 pm aftercoming home from the markets with Maria. I at first didnt know what had happened as the headlines were all over the English channels and the Hindi channels. It took me a while to understand what had happened after asking Maria to help me understand what was happening.
    "Big towers in the US have been attacked by men with big bombs" I remember her saying in broken English. Then news shortly followed that there had been another attack on The Pentagon in which I was more famaliar with.
    I called Mum up almost in tears thinking there was going to be an attack in Dehli. She said that her friends had told her that there was a suspected attack going to be carried out in New Dehli and that she couldnt get home due to tight security. She told me that Maria and I werent to leave the house until she came home. She came home about 2 am that morning and told Maria that the threat hadnt passed and we were to go back to Australia if the attacks would happen, leaving Maria behind in India. Luckily nothing came of the threat. Amen to having good friends in the military who are willing to sneak their Australian friends out of the country.

RIP the victims of 9/11.

Jadedjcbxnyc6981

I read your post and my eyes filled with tears. I can only imagine how hard it was for your mom to try to explain to you what was going on.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I remember the last song I listened to going into school on the bus that day was "Alive" by P.O.D. I also remember the exact spot I was standing when I first heard the news about a plane crashing into the World Trade Center. I was 17 just starting out my senior year in High School and I was a Student Aide for the switchboard.

I remember when the switchboard lady (Sandy) took a call and I watched as her usual cynical smile turned into a look of confusion. She then told me "That was weird."

"What?" I asked.

"I just got a call that a plane just crashed into one of the Twin Towers in New York."

I then had a bunch of thoughts going through my head. "Was it an accident?" "Was the weather bright and sunny like it is here?" "What kind of plane? A Cessna? An air liner?"

We didn't have a TV in the office but I do remember another teacher telling us "A plane just hit the trade tower."

"We heard about it." Sandy said.

"Did you hear about the second one?" The teacher responded.

"What second one?" Sandy asked.

"Another plane just hit the other tower."

It was kind of surreal. All of my thoughts on accidents were out the window. The bell for the passing period for the next class sounded. In a cloud, I walked to my next class.

My next class was an English class with Mr. Shaw. The bell to begin class sounded and he said, "I don't have a lesson for you today. Instead, we are going to go accross the hall to another classroom where another teacher has a TV set up with the news on because I feel what's going on right now is more important than anything I can teach you today." We went accross the hall and that was the first time that I saw the damage inflicted on the World Trade Center towers. Smoke was billowing. The pictures and reports of people jumping out of windows was something out of a horror movie. Then the report came about the pentagon. In a room full of people, I felt alone.

"This can't happen to America" I remember thinking to myself. "What does this all mean?" "When will it stop?" "Are we now going to war?" "Because of this, are they going to reinstate the draft?" Looking on in horror, I watched as the South tower fell. As it happened, I heard a classmate scream "No!" and began crying. Then as if another 1-2 punch, the news of the plane crash in Pennsylvania hit. I was at a loss of words. I remember thinking "At least one of the towers is still standing." I was also scared beyond belief.

My next class was supposed to start but I didnt leave the room. No one did. All of the reports were getting called in about potential this and potential that and that's when the North tower fell. More people cried and I felt my eyes well up. I was in disbelief. Nothing mattered.

The principal then came over the loudspeaker and explained everyone of the situation and that counselors are available if anyone needs them. I didn't learn anything in school that day. I didn't eat at lunch. All we did in every class was talked about what happened ans if anything was going to happen to us.

After school, I remember the eerie sound of silence as all air traffic was shut down. When I got home, I never had been so happy to see my family. The tragedy brought us together and it seemed like every wrong and fault had been pushed aside. I wanted to go see a movie with a friend, but my mom and dad both said no. They told me that this is a day that it is important to be with family. I hated that answer but understood. In retrospective, I'm glad I stayed at home.

It's still very weird that I can remember this day so vividly.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

I was 13 on 9/11. I vividly remember what I was doing when I heard what happened. That story isn't very interesting, though.

Looking back, it really was a life-changing event for me. I didn't know anyone who was affected by the attacks (my heart goes out to anyone that was, like the OP), but my perspective on the world was forever changed. I started paying more attention to world events and generally opening my mind. Granted, I was pretty young at the time, so the effect wasn't that profound on me then, but as time went on it snowballed.

Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Oddly enough, I had this conversation this morning.

I was 14 and living in a car with my folks, so no school. I woke up that morning and heard the news on talk radio. I didn't grasp the magnitude at the time. I went over to my aunt's house to ask for a shower, but just sat there watching the news in shock. It was surreal. Nobody cried. It was just a loss for words except for "oh my god". I remember the footage of a man jumping out of a window. Heart-breaking. That's really all I remember though

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Thank you for sharing your stories guys. As an outsider of the states, here is my account of what I experienced on that day.

I was in seventh grade (12 years of age) when 9/11 occured. I was late for school that day. I made my way into the school building, it was eerily quiet. I apologized for being late, and my teacher shouted "quiet" and I took my seat. The entire classroom was sitting still, listening to the radio broadcast. A few minutes pass, and my school teacher addressed the issue; A plane had hit the WTC.

A handful of me and my schoolmates went to a friend's house and flipped through the channels to get to the News after school out of curiosity. Turned out a second plane had crashed into the WTC shortly after my schoolteacher had turned off the radio earlier within that day. I was shocked, and I distinctly remember pointing at George W. Bush as the culprit for the disaster.

Condolences to all those who were severely affected by the tragic event ten years ago. As each year passes by, the magnitude of the event strikes me that much harder.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

It's interesting how everyone here seems to have had that moment where they were shocked to hear about the second plane crash. :"

I was ten years old, woke up for a school day and it was on the news. It had probably happened while I was alseep, but I learned straight-up that a couple planes had crashed into the towers and I was filled in on the rest at school that day, though I don't remember the particular moment when the news fully hit me. ;/

Jadedjcbxnyc6981

as soon as the memorial is open to the public, I will go there....Just hard to think that this Sunday will make 10 yrs. Not only did my dad witness it, my brother in law was working at a bank in lower Manhattan, he ran across the Brooklyn Bridge after the collapse (as did many others) I heard that Manhattan literally shook (I was in Westchester County when the towers fell) and I remember watching the second tower go down and saying to my co-workers "thats the loop of the first tower going down right?" when they finally told me "no sweetie there gone" I was 20 yrs old when it happened.........So dreading Sunday.... :'(