A Problem

Discussion in 'Feedback & FAQ' started by Luke, Mar 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

I've said this in a previous post and I'll say it again because I feel its a problem in the LPA;

Sometimes I get the impression from some of the early LPA members (most of which are supermembers) that those who havn't reached the supermember level are treated differently than those who have and those who havn't are seen as a nuisence as it were.

This has caught my attention many times and to be honest I think its kinda unfair that such things happen.

This is probably the only complaint I've ever done in the 9 months that I've been here and it probably will be the only one I'll ever do,but the LPA is too good to be spoiled by certain individuals who consider themselves a higher level than the rest.

To conclude this,I really don't like complaining and I'm sure no one likes recieving complaints so lets help each other out on this one.

Luke
    Hellflame Prophecy

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

Could you give us some examples...? Speaking for just myself, I don't think the LPA treats members any different by what their member class says.

But if you think about it, those who are SuperMembers or long time community members are going to be treated differently than someone who just joined, but I don't think that's any reason that there are any (hopefully un)intentional isolations. It's like meeting a friend for the first time verses a friend you've known longer than a few minutes. It takes time to warm up to newer individuals.

Whereas I must be missing something, I don't think that there are any inbalances in which members are treated. I think if you're respective and follow the rules, you'll be respected back--any content for disrespect or isolative tendancies is that of the individual. In other words, "do what to others as you would like done to you."

If you are referring to the fact we're sarcastic every once and awhile, I think though some have a hard time controlling it, I think people can be pretty much well rounded. But as I said from the beginning of this post, some examples would be nice as I don't think I've really seen disrespecting conflict going on on the forums. :wth:

Luke

This is my evidence-I was mearly stating a possible conncetion between a song and an album and then the comments I get back from Mark and Cameron aren't very respectful.Even if it is sarcasm its still kinda offending,while I can't single out other cases I can say for sure that I've seen shit happen before that aint nice.

Kæton

Well like I stated in my first reply, not all are capable of controlling their sarcasm level, however I do believe that we here at the LPA have taken the quote "what have you been smoking?" as a way to say "are you crazy?" It doesn't suggest you are an actual pothead or stoner of any sort nor does this mean to isolate you.

What you should remember is that though harsh, the reason for such posts were disagreeing with you, and with that, the disagreements were followed with very blunt evidence/acusations. I'll let those who you have felt threatened (I use that word loosely) by explain themselves, but they will probably claim to just be making a joke.

My best advice is to just brush those comments off. I don't think people have been initially targetting "non-SuperMember" people just for that blantant fact, as that would be extremely ignorant and pathetic. Cameron has always been known to have witty and sometimes harsh words, but I'm sure Cameron means well, and that goes for Mark as well.

I honestly think that the only true solution is to lighten up. Not everyone is always going to agree with your theories or statements, and they might make rude comments, but if it's not happening to you after every post you make, it shouldn't be that big of a deal. Unless there are more instances in recent times that can be shown as evidence to any isolating, then all I can/have to say is that you just have to brush those things off.

Sarcasm is something we cannot control. Not only are we not able to control one's sarcasm as there would be much dispute, sarcasm is hard to acknowledge since we must read what is posted and interpret it on our own. So all I can really say is that you brush it off and not let it get to you unless it's happening more than once in a short period of time because honestly, you'll get that type of stuff all the time and no matter the circumstances, just be the better man and walk away. Or better yet, if you honestly feel passionate about what you're saying, then try and prove them wrong, but allow the option of just walking away to always be in your mind. This goes for concerns of disrespect as well. Human nature is to reply to what you think, and with that, by human nature, "ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer;" not that I am calling your statement(s) stupid, it's just a saying.

Hope this has been of some help. If not, perhaps others can suggest alternatives.

Luke

Thanks for helping ^_^

Kæton

Anytime. :)

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

I think that

fgfjdfm or whatever his name is is a perfect example.

But...
    (This has nothing to do with Hellflame)
    it does sometimes get irratating when someone comes on LPA and post something like "I juusTY Saw ON FtG YhatTHe'reS a PapErCut XerO DEmO thAt JoE mADE IN 1987!! - Is ThiIS TruU?)

Especially when some moron posted that the post above it

Luke

Well I think its safe to say that all people can get annoyed by that,even if they were in LPA for years you could still be annoyed by that :lol:

Shade

Shade Well-Known Member

I dunno, I've been here a respectable amount of time and haven't noticed that much of a difference in treatment of members. Hell there a people that outpost me after a week of joining, but I don't see them gaining privelages hehe. I can easily recall several supermembers getting banned as well.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

That was my bad. He was right. :lol:

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

My only complaint(s) about LPA were how fdmdmfje or whatever the fuck his name is treated newbies in the Linkin Park section.

Come to think of it, I don't like how we treat the newbies. They type out of whack, and maybe act really fucking dumb, but that's no reason to get all sarcastic and shit with them.

But then again, I don't own this place, so I can't tell you guys how to treat the less internet-educated members of the board. All I can do is be nice to them and hope people follow in my example.

I'm sure this all sounds very weird, especially coming from me.

Chris Luke

Chris Luke LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Yeah, I tried to stop being a jackass and just avoid newbies as best as I can.

Jon[athan]

Jon[athan] Sincerly, written from my brothers blood machine.

hmm well. since im probably the only one posting in here under 2000 posts, and having been here shorlty over 3 months. i have to say you guys were over all nice to me. i mean, yes the sarcasm afore mentioned did come to play, but other then that i didnt feel isloated or anything. although that slipknot post i made right off...well it kinda went bad. but moving on. i was never ill treated. but on the same hand i knew i was a newbie, and i new i couldnt just pop in and be like hey guys whats going on...i didnt know you. so i just kinda kept to my self a little. not all newbies are like that.

Evil Angel

Evil Angel Ambient

Well I've had problems with supermembers esp. ove the comments i made over Female fronted bands.I apologised because i thought it wasan't right to impose one opinion on others.Yeah you're right Luke,some supermembers are fucking hostile :mellow:

Testament

Testament \m/ LPA Super Member

Meh, I'm hostile in return. But they still hate me. :mellow:

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Let's just put it this way; none of the elder members should be coming down on the less experienced members just because of the amount of time they've been here or the number of posts they've posted.

That said, I don't see it as much of a problem. If you make a mistake, sure, they'll point it out. You're not exempt from that. But if it goes too far and they get too degrading, please contact a staff member through a PM. If we see it happening on the forums, we'll stop it as well.

One of the major problems is that with people interacting on the internet, it's much harder than real life to distinguish between whether someone is being sarcastic or harsh. Certain different people have varying sensitivity levels as well. For newer members, it takes them a while to get used to the habits of older members, and thus why some of them feel alienated by certain comments. If you think someone is harassing you, it's most likely their dry wit. Simply ask for clarification. Anything more extreme should be PMed to staff.

Evil Angel

Evil Angel Ambient

Yeah you have a good point there on internet interaction.It is a virtue that LPAF has smilies

Anya

Anya Lost LPA Super VIP

It is kinda wierd hearing that come from you actually. :lol:

But naw that's cool to see coming from you in my opinion. You're a great example of someone who has changed greatly in how you treat other people. You used to be much different in the beginning, from what I think. But yeah, I try to be less sarcastic with the newbies now and I try to be more helpful. Sometimes that can be hard, but I try to be helpful sometimes anyway, and show people in the newbie camp where the rules and guide is. People here should do that more often in my opinion.

But I have noticed a change in attitude with Admins and Mods latley, so I have no complaints.

;)

ahamLP

ahamLP Well-Known Member

Well I have had a few problems especially with my threads being locked without a valid reason whatsoever if you wanna know what I'm talking about check the link below,

http://www.lpassociation.com/forums/index....21&hl=my+slangs

Well honestly the thread for even a moment didnt feel like it should be locked oh cmon dude its ur OPINION and not what every1 feels,and even if the things that I've written suck or are crap let every1 tell it,why the did u lock the thread instead,and I even contacted the person who locked it and asked him politely that look I respect ur thoughts,but what was the need to lock the thread but it was of no use,and I want to know how do you people arrive at something like locking a thread,just wanna know,I hope no1 has been offended by this,but I wanted 2 ask this from a long time,thank you

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

I'd lock that topic too if It were on my forum.
    Pointless, IMO also. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.