A Thousand Suns Leaked

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Guys, let's be honest. Meteora was really good, and really terrible at the same time. The lyrics were laughable, the structure was the same old formula, and they still rap/rocked nearly everything. I think LP did make an advancement with their musical creativity, though. Well, besides their crappy power riffs. They were using a lot of synth and electronic sounds. They started using some piano in Numb. They also used that weird ass instrument in Nobody's Listening. Breaking The Habit was made almost entirely from synth. And hey, the songs were still equally as catchy as Hybrid Theory's. The only thing Hybrid Theory did better than Meteora was in the lyrical department, but barely.

And regarding MTM, while some people might not have liked listening to it as much, it was better written and delved further into their creative minds. And, despite how much crap they still get for it, I think it's a pretty damn solid record. More solid than their previous efforts.

And like I've already said earlier in this thread, A Thousand Suns blows everything else out of the water. It's not even debatable. Well, it is, just not in a logical debate. If you don't like listening to the songs, you should at least be able to tell how much better the songs are. Different structures, many different vocal styles, and a vastly improved instrumentation display. Oh, and they actually made a concept album. They didn't just lump random songs together. It's ok to dislike the album, but when people bash it for totally illogical and untrue reasons, then it starts to bug me. I've loved bands that improved upon themselves to a point where I don't like listening to them anymore. But I at least admit to myself that they've become better crafted at their profession. I suggest that people who hate A Thousand Suns to take a closer look at what they've actually created. If you can't see why it's musically better than their past work, you maybe need a few more years of music listening under your belt. I didn't know there was music beyond power riffs and Verse/Chorus/V/C/Bridge/C when I was under 18, either.

2. Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

We need to make a thread about Meteora because it shows up in about every other one haha. If there is one, a new one must be made.

ATS grows every time. I'm still not listening to lyrics yet. Even without paying attention to how the songs blend, this is a fucking amazing album.

3. Dara

Dara Well-Known Member

Don't think I cannot curse and insult. If you can't discuss and only call the one that thinks different from you stupid and idiot so ... Oh I can't say it because I'm not as weak as you.

4. Xodus112

Xodus112 Well-Known Member

You're pretty much on point but the point I would quibble with is the part about HT only being slightly better lyrically than Meteora. Meteora had the most cliches and use of the word pain, etc. than any other LP release.

For example, let's look at a song from each album. Faint from Meteora and Forgotten.

Verse 1 Faint

I am a little bit of loneliness, a little bit of disregard
    Handful of complaints but I can't help the fact
    That everybody can see these scars
    I am what I want you to want, what I want you to feel
    But it's like no matter what I do, I can't convince you
    To just believe this is real
    So I, let go watching you turn your back like you always do
    Face away and pretend that I'm not
    But I'll be here cause you're all that I've got

Verse 1 Forgotten

Theres a place so dark you can't see the end,
    skies cock back and shock that which can't defend,
    the rain then sends dripping,
    Acidic questions,
    forcefully,
    the power of suggestion,
    then with the eyes shut,
    looking through the rust, and rot, and dust,
    a small spot of light floods the floor,
    and pours over the rusted world of pretend,
    and the eyes ease open,
    and it's dark again,

One verse is pretty bland and straight forward while the other uses pretty good imagery to convey emotions. It's very possible that these songs could be about the same things (feeling alone), but one is done in a far superior manner.

Just for another example we'll look at the chorus of each too.

Chorus Faint

I can't feel the way I did before,
    Don't turn your back on me
    I won't be ignored
    Time won't heal this damage anymore
    Don't turn your back on me
    I won't be ignored

Chorus Forgotten

In the memory you'll find me,
    eyes burning up,
    the darkness holding me tightly,
    until the sun rises up,

Once again, these could also be about the same thing but one is done pretty artistically while the other is trying to make sure some 13 year old kid in Cleveland gets it (thanks, Don Gilmore). And lyrically, Faint isn't even the worst on the album (SIB)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  5. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Ok, I retract that statement lol. I just had One Step Closer and In The End in mind when I wrote that. LP's demo work for Hybrid Theory was amazing. I listen to those all the time. I don't remember the last time I listened to Hybrid Theory or Meteora.

6. Dara

Dara Well-Known Member

I like ATS. It's much better that M2M.

7. iNuBBiN

iNuBBiN Well-Known Member

In the thousand suns album thread I actually stated how much I liked the album and how I was wrong with he first listen

8. bigdiximab

bigdiximab Member

For all of those who think this album is of lyrical genius:

I think we can all agree that line is something you'd see out of Curious George book.

Esaul was lyrical genius. In the End was memorable, too. Faint kicked so much ass they had to import colons from Europe to meet the demand. "You say you're not gonna fight 'cause no one will fight for you" - stupid. Whatever lyrics are in The Messenger are probably retarded, too, but I haven't been able to get past a minute in the track without having to switch the song. On that note, has anyone been able to listen to The Messenger without cringing when Chester tries to hit that one high note? Pathetic.

Let's be honest here. Who else skips tracks 1, 2, 4, 7, and 11 because they are simply a waste of time? They inflate the album to make it look like there are more songs when there aren't. I remember everyone on here criticizing M2M for only having 11 real songs. This album's got 10, but nobody's complaining.

I'd just like to know how in the hell some of you guys think this album is the best LP has ever put out because it is the worst, by far. Queue the posts: Justin Bieber, haters gon' hate, you didn't follow LP from the beginning, all you want is a Hybrid Theory part 3, blah, blah, blah, whine, whine, whine.

No, shut up. I've followed LP since before they were LP. I was actually at a show from their Hybrid Theory days (a.k.a. when they were called Hybrid Theory). I listen to more than just rap/rock, but one genre I don't listen to is "sissy shit" and that's what this album is bringing.

Let fanboys be fanboys. This is the only forum I've found that's giving this album positive reviews. I have been listening to this album on the way to work since it leaked, and I do so with my windows up because I am so embarrassed when songs like Iridescent start playing.

Please stop saying that you need to listen to the songs in order, in context, with the interludes, whatever the excuse. Listening to 20 seconds of crickets is not a transition, and after having heard 2 of them already, I want music, not another interlude.

Queue: Waah, LP is making what they want to make and not tailoring to your needs. True, but that's beside the point. Look back to when they released the LPU about the hamsters and cookies or whatever the hell it was. People were saying how funny it was and how it was a nice change of pace, when, in reality, all they could think of how they just spent all this money on an LPU subscription for a year and all they could show for it was a couple of songs written in about 2 minutes.

I'll continue to listen to Blackout and W&K, the only two gems on the album, but LP is dead in my book.

I heard their next record is going to feature Moby and Enya. Also, Yanni is going to be playing saxophone. Because it's all about being different and genre-busting. The only thing they're busting is wind while all the fanboys inhale deeply.

Peace out.

Queue: delete post and ban. And when the mods do so, it only proves my point even further.

9. Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Ok

10. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

[​IMG]

11. Xodus112

ROFLMAO!!!!

That post made my night

I love the let fanboys be fanboys comment. I just read pgs and pgs of comments from a Kanye West forum giving this album higher praise than most of this site.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  12. lilj4425

lilj4425 Well-Known Member

Not to be rude, but bigdiximab needs to get laid.

13. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

I bolded the word because;

1. It's against the rules.
    2. Your post is pointless and full of douchebaggery.

You asked for a ban and I hope you get one.

14. bigdiximab

bigdiximab Member

I think the fact that the post came from the Kanye forum speaks for itself.

You've had nearly 70 posts since you signed up last week. Seriously, go outside, man. Make some friends whose names don't end with numbers.

15. SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

LOL DUDE LOST HIS DAMN! MIND

16. Minus

I'm going to actually do a point-by-point sane discussion with you, which for anyone who has been here long enough, is something of a rarity.

First off, you're isolating two specific lyrics and making assumptions and conclusions of the album in general. I can do that too:

"From the top to the bottom/bottom to top I stop"
    "I wanna heal/I wanna feel/Like I'm close to something real"

Further, your opinion is your opinion. It does not necessarily mean it is fact.

I have to take the first paragraph in this quote with a grain of salt. Not many of us here were complaining about the amount of songs.

And again, your opinion is your opinion. Your 'predictions' of how we will react as a whole just shows that you're not bothering to have a real discussion and exchange of ideas.

I would like to point you to echoingthesound.org.

A forum of Nine Inch Nails Elitists are actually liking the album. It isn't just fanboys. I quote:

Your definition of music is your own. You're not making any points other than to solidify your opinion.

You also show your closed-mindedness by claiming you listen to more than just rap/rock, then claiming the only 2 songs you like are the ones that are rap/rock. Further, your music tastes seem more shallow than you make them out to be by insulting other artists with no justification. Moby is a talented musician. So is Enya. Then you go on to say that being genre-busting is bad.

I'd go on further and create an even worse tl;dr post, but if you're not going to go through the trouble of reading these responses, then I'm not going to take anymore of my time trying to show how flawed and emotionally-tinged your 'arguments' are. They basically amount to whining, despite your claims otherwise.

Good day. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

17. lilj4425

lilj4425 Well-Known Member

Full time college student with job=no time to go outside and play sadly. :(

18. Xodus112

Whether you like Kanye or not is irrelevant, I was just showing how easy it is to shoot down your point. There have been many positive reviews from publications that have previously run the band through coals. Kerrang being one. And I've read positive reviews from other sites. But if I'm following you correctly anyone who doesn't share your opinion on this is an idiot/fanboy. Gotcha!

19. Meryl_

Meryl_ Well-Known Member

Sitting in an empty room... trying to forget the past... this sentence made me laugh so much with Chester's voice. It's so fucking cheesy but I still love the song. They have their good and their bads in writing lyrics since the beginning. Mike wrote songs like Dedicated or High Voltage... and also Faint. Not that Faint isn't good but lyrically you don't shit bricks when you listen to it. That's always have been like that. But I feel that the songs for this album have lyrically and as a whole took a step ahead.

Oh and not that anyone cares

ATS
    REA
    HT EP
    HT|METEORA
    COLLISION COURSE

MTM

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  20. Minus

Switch MTM with Meteora, place the EP and Collision Course elsewhere and I agree completely.

Great to see some more Reanimation love, despite the heresy that is actually liking Meteora. :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.